• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RTP’s post says it all

This is hilarious and I remember the conversation like it was yesterday. I was fairly new to shell and had just got lucky enough to score a pair of unlined walnut daltons. At the time, I had no preference of Alden over AE. I was just thrilled to score a great pair of $500 boots. The conversation seemed much more emotional than any I had seen on SF and to be honest, some of the opinions seemed a little elitist. Then RTP posted his comparison and I thought 'well damn' now I see what the fuss is all about. A week later I put the Daltons on ebay.

Since then I have witnessed many emotional AE v Alden conversations. I tend to steer clear of those discussions.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is hilarious and I remember the conversation like it was yesterday. I was fairly new to shell and had just got lucky enough to score a pair of unlined walnut daltons. At the time, I had no preference of Alden over AE. I was just thrilled to score a great pair of $500 boots. The conversation seemed much more emotional than any I had seen on SF and to be honest, some of the opinions seemed a little elitist. Then RTP posted his comparison and I thought 'well damn' now I see what the fuss is all about. A week later I put the Daltons on ebay.

Since then I have witnessed many emotional AE v Alden conversations. I tend to steer clear of those discussions.
Probably a smart call! I have a place in my heart for both manufacturers, so I can acknowledge where one does something better than the other.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RTP’s post says it all

YeH there’s really no contest in terms of design or execution.

Only Vass does a wingtip boot better than Alden at this price point (IMO).

icasio

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys - Quick question...I'm looking for a pair of Burnished Tan WTB / Barrie.
B+M comes close but does not have the perf decoration that continues down the back heel (which I want).

Have I overlooked a shop?

B+M boots below (no perf decoration up the heel portion):
Screen Shot 2018-11-17 at 4.59.33 PM.png

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
B+M comes close but does not have the perf decoration that continues down the back heel (which I want).

View attachment 1073793

Depending on your priorities, I might suggest that it’s worth trading off the heel counter design in order to get that incredible comfortable veg-tan lining that BM uses on their WTBs. After all, we are talking about the heel design which is literally facing behind us. ;)

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own 30 or so AE's, and I really want to climb aboard the Alden train. But man... AE shell seconds are such a good deal at sale prices. I was planning to buy a pair of Indys or an Alden natural CXL longwing (TBH I have no use for that style of shoe... but it comes to me at night, in dreams LOL). But then I found a pair of black shell Dundees on the Shoebank for $349 and just couldn't pass them up.

Serious question: how does AE shell compare to Alden shell? I don't doubt that Alden is a cut above in terms of workmanship and overall...refinement. But the price difference is what is preventing me from hopping aboard the Alden train. If we're talking about calf, sure -- AE's calf shoes have obviously taken a hit in quality in recent years. Alden definitely appears to be worth the extra cost. But My experiences with AE shell have been extremely positive. Three of the five "seconds" I've purchased have been flawless, the other two were true seconds but were still a good deal. It's hard to justify paying more, I saw a guy today wearing Alden black shell LHS penny loafers and while they were very nice... I just don't know. I would appreciate everyone's honest opinion regarding the difference in quality.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own 30 or so AE's, and I really want to climb aboard the Alden train. But man... AE shell seconds are such a good deal at sale prices. I was planning to buy a pair of Indys or an Alden natural CXL longwing (TBH I have no use for that style of shoe... but it comes to me at night, in dreams LOL). But then I found a pair of black shell Dundees on the Shoebank for $349 and just couldn't pass them up.

Serious question: how does AE shell compare to Alden shell? I don't doubt that Alden is a cut above in terms of workmanship and overall...refinement. But the price difference is what is preventing me from hopping aboard the Alden train. If we're talking about calf, sure -- AE's calf shoes have obviously taken a hit in quality in recent years. Alden definitely appears to be worth the extra cost. But My experiences with AE shell have been extremely positive. Three of the five "seconds" I've purchased have been flawless, the other two were true seconds but were still a good deal. It's hard to justify paying more, I saw a guy today wearing Alden black shell LHS penny loafers and while they were very nice... I just don't know. I would appreciate everyone's honest opinion regarding the difference in quality.

AE uses the same shell as Alden. It’s the other shoe manufacturing factors (design, lasts, finishing, shank) that make Alden superior.

GGMac

Reaction score

View attachment 1073793

TSM has a burnished tan calfskin WTB, all eyelets, double oak, 360 storm welt on the Barrie last. Their boot has the perf down the heel.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'll add that Alden seems to do more finishing to their shell than AE. Alden darkens their #8 a lot more than AE's burgundy and typically seem to have more of a glossy finish from more layers of glazing.

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah you’re paying extra for the steel shank, stitches per inch, generous lasts, wheeling, 270 welts, reverse vanity sizing (what? lol), Stead suede, thicker soles, etc. The shell does seem marginally thinner than AE’s but they’re comfortable and the lining is really nice. The biggest thing I like is that retailers have special makeups.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Life is short. Be sure to spend some of it arguing about boots with strangers on the internet.

AEShoeMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PSA: those Alden wingtip boots are back, but listed correctly as an 11 and not 10.5 this time. I purchased earlier but canceled the order after the seller told me they were incorrectly listed as 10.5. My other Barrie boots are bang on at 10.5 and figured an 11 wouldn't work well in the long run. It was a tough call but live to buy another pair I guess.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/153265568663

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads