• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some tan suede LHS today.

Matty123

Reaction score
So I received my B+M Reveese chamois WT today. They are beautiful and oily and I love the look.... However they are tight across the arch and outside of my foot. These are a 9.5 3E. I'm wearing them around the house to see how they feel but I fear they are too tight...

Last edited:

ltjaw

Reaction score
I am curious to know which Alden vendors offer the plain toe or straight tip boots in shell cordovan on the Grant or Plaza last?

gsgleason

Reaction score

Hi, I am going to be a new member of Alden indy boots but a bit confuse about sizing.

If 7.5us Plaza last is fit for me, is it possible to wear 7us with true balance last?

Ps. my foot length is around 27 cm.

Thanks

Everyone's feet are different, but generally, yes.

I wear 8.5D in the Plaza, Grant, Hampton, and Aberdeen lasts, and wear 8D in the Trubalance, Barrie, and 379X lasts.

I agree with old Abe here...but just to add some food for thought. Some people prefer to size down a width in addition to a half-size in length. Personally I dislike the Trubalance last and sold my only pair after about a month. In my experience it was roomy to the point of being 'sloppy'.

It is for this reason I kept my true size (12) and went down in width (c). If I see a 12B on the irregular list, I'll try that as well. The 12C is good, but still pretty wide. Trubalance is very wide last, and IIRC was originally designed to accommodate orthotics.

csmitty

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Grant last cap toe boots are the 4060. TSM, Alden DC are ones who normally run them. For Plaza versions you might want to contact Yenni at brick and mortar to see if there are any plans for those.

gilby

Reaction score
I am curious to know which Alden vendors offer the plain toe or straight tip boots in shell cordovan on the Grant or Plaza last?

The straight tip on Grant last is the 4060 in Clr 8 and the 4065 in black shell. These are a standard models and aren't hard to find. The Shoemart, Fransboone and Alden NYC offer them (may be some others). Plaza boots are another story. I'm not aware of any in those makeups since JGilbert stopped carrying Alden. Perhaps Brick & Mortar will fill the Plaza void. The Shoemart does have a few Plaza
models as well as Fransboone, just not the makeups your looking for.

StrangeJeremy

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
We are about to pull the trigger on our make-ups. Once we settle on a couple small details, we'll put them out there for pre-order.

The first of the two will be an all-black Indy boot - 360 reverse welt, commando sole in black, with black edging. No speed-hooks, black eyelets all the way up.

We're going back and forth between black CXL, which I don't like that much, and the black Walkabout leather, which is very similar to the Kudu.

Anyone have any thoughts about those two leathers?

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Isn't it sheepskin?
Google chamois and you will get that sense but no. Almost certainly cow - reverse chamois is roughout and chamois is oiled nubuck. Terms used by Alden/Horweem can be pretty confusing at times (Bureau Belfast continues -- years running now -- to say that Alden kudu leather is from antelope.... No...)

Last edited:

Matty123

Reaction score

Google chamois and you will get that sense but no. Almost certainly cow - reverse chamois is roughout and chamois is oiled nubuck. Terms used by Alden/Horweem can be pretty confusing at times (Bureau Belfast continues -- years running now -- to say that Alden kudu leather is from antelope.... No...)

Isn't it sheepskin?

Yeah it's technically supposed to be European Antelope, but I was hoping for
At least sheepskin. So you're certain it's cow and nubuck taboot??

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah it's technically supposed to be European Antelope, but I was hoping for
At least sheepskin. So you're certain it's cow and nubuck taboot??
I'm not certain 100% but 99% yes. To be clear I mean that non-reverse chamois is oiled nubuck -- I think I originally got that from this: http://leffot.com/tag/horween-chamois/

Reverse chamois is roughout leather as I understand it. Should be "bovine" leather.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics