1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mdubs, Jan 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HenryIII

HenryIII Senior Member

Snowy day here in MI, so office residing Color 8 LHSes today. I don't wear these nearly enough

[​IMG]

2. HenryIII

HenryIII Senior Member

Well... hot damn!

3. ASLP

ASLP Member

Out of curiosity, what do you like about having all-eyelets as opposed to eyelets and hooks? I've been thinking about going the same direction, so that the laces are more contained when I take my boots off.

4. budapest12

budapest12 Distinguished Member

Huh? Sorry i don't get this at all.

5. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Distinguished Member

I think Alden's speed hooks are so close together they take me longer to do than eyelets. Outside of Chamois and the likes which can make all laces a little tougher for a while. I generally either have to unlace only the top eyelet or none at all. Also the eyelets are uncomfortable when crossing ankles if you sit that way.

That being said I would not skip getting a build I really really wanted if it has hooks. If I am on the fence the hooks sway me not to buy.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016

6. M635Guy

M635Guy Distinguished Member

He's saying that when you take off boots that have eyelets, you have some lace-management to do...

Personally, I love speed hooks. Don't want an all-eyelet boot.

7. MT1982

MT1982 Senior Member

I took his post to mean that with the speedhooks - you take the boots off and the laces are all over the place. With all eyelets they are more contained and stuck in the boot, so less crap hanging out all over the floor, etc. There's less additional "cleanup" that needs to be done once you remove the boot that contains all eyelets.

His quote:

Quote:

8. M635Guy

M635Guy Distinguished Member

I mixed myself up - I meant speed hooks

9. g2cdk

g2cdk Member

[​IMG]
    Luv my AF43. My first photo post here.

10. adsmith4

adsmith4 Senior Member

Are these the boots from Brooks Brothers? If so, I may have to grab a pair myself. I've looked at them online a couple of times but never pulled the trigger since I wasn't sure how they looked in person.

11. devastitis

devastitis Senior Member

They are! Bought them during the 40% off sale during Cyber Monday. My favorite pair of boots to wear with denim and chinos.

12. budapest12

budapest12 Distinguished Member

I have boots with hooks and without - for years - and never once thought of this. You learn something new each day I guess! The thought of buying a style based on this seems a bit much to me personally.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016

13. jackster145

jackster145 Senior Member

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016

14. AMD500

AMD500 Senior Member

15. Allen Dreadmon

Allen Dreadmon Senior Member

They look like #8 to me as well. I'm not sure if it's the lighting, but the left shoe looks considerably lighter in colour to me. That would definitely bother me. Also, Alden #8 tassels (popularly known as model 563) usually come with dark burgundy stitching on the vamp as opposed to white, so I'm not sure what to think of these.

And I couldn't tell the from the listing whether or not these were advertised as E (wide) width, but thought you should know in case you didn't notice from the sizing listed inside the shoe "C/E".

I don't mean to discourage you from buying these, but just wanted to give my two cents. Take it FWIW. I own the Brooks Brothers version and I love them!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.