• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am looking to add a pair of captoe boots to my collection on black shell should I go for grant or plaza, what is your take?

I will be using them mostly with slacks / formal work wear...

If you're looking for something more formal for work, I like the plaza last. However, my barrie lasted boots have worked well this winter for what you described also...

zennypoo

Reaction score
Quick bump for our color 8 plaza captoe gMTO, please see full design below with photo for example. We have 7 confirmed participants and several potentials, we only need 5 more to put this order through!

This is an order through a reputable vendor that I've successfully done gMTO through before, the final price will be inline with current 4060 prices ($710-$730). Confirmation + delivery is somewhere around 8-10 months from time of submission, nonrefundable deposit is $200, balance due on delivery.

Design:
Plaza Last
Color 8 Shell
Straight captoe
Black edge, 270 flat welt with closed heel
Color matched all metal eyelets
Double leather sole

*Our design will have all eyelets instead of eyelets + hooks shown with these boots

Thanks,

Dan

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quick bump for our color 8 plaza captoe gMTO, please see full design below with photo for example. We have 7 confirmed participants and several potentials, we only need 5 more to put this order through!

This is an order through a reputable vendor that I've successfully done gMTO through before, the final price will be inline with current 4060 prices ($710-$730). Confirmation + delivery is somewhere around 8-10 months from time of submission, nonrefundable deposit is $200, balance due on delivery.

Design:
Plaza Last
Color 8 Shell
Straight captoe
Double leather sole

*Our design will have all eyelets instead of eyelets + hooks shown with these boots

Thanks,

Dan

Any thoughts of adding an Indy stitch?

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Design:
Plaza Last
Color 8 Shell
Straight captoe
Double leather sole

Thanks,

Dan

I believe the standard edge used on Color 8 (such as on the boots pictured above) is mahogany, not black.

schmallo15

Reaction score

Looks like a half corded sole....Love that - details please

Thanks! So basically, I didn't like the single flex welt sole or all eyelets that came on the Unionmade McCoppin. Single flex welt on a casual CXL boot seemed off to me. Additionally, half the eyelets weren't installed properly out of the factory. There were little sharp barbs sticking out which would catch onto the laces and make it really difficult to get the boots on and off. I've seen this on a few other Alden boots. Part and parcel of Alden QC, I suppose. Either way, it's extremely annoying and chews up the laces really quickly too. End rant.

Anyway, I had Original Dr Sole do the work. He added a corded half sole and heel (all welted by hand) and switched out the brown eyelets for brass eyelets and hooks. The work was outstanding. The boots feel much more robust now and feel like real $hit kickers. I've had a few other boots done by him and will be sending my Color 8 Indy boots to him at some point once the soles are worn out.

Those look insanely awesome.

Thanks! I don't wear them enough but I do love them.

Last edited:

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Design:
Plaza Last
Color 8 Shell
Straight captoe
Double leather sole

Thanks,

Dan

Assuming E width could be ordered, I'm in.

zennypoo

Reaction score

Any thoughts of adding an Indy stitch?

Probably not, it would completely change the look of the boot and make it much more casual than the original design.

I believe the standard edge used on Color 8 (such as on the boots pictured above) is mahogany, not black.

Thanks! I thought so too, but couldn't confirm.

Assuming E width could be ordered, I'm in. 

Done! We are doing C/D/E widths.

Umm, you mean radically changing the style of the boot?

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads