• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsgleason

Reaction score
I had initially tried my barrie sizing for trubalance. I'm 12D Brannock, 11.5D in Barrie boots in shell.

The 11.5D Trubalance was just too sloppy. The Trubalance is a WIDE last.

I had tried an 11.5C, but with my wide toes, I was getting rubbing, and I settled on a 12C.

So, for me, I found TTS in length, but a width down, fit me the best.

I came across some 12B barrie shoes that fit nicely. If I ever see some trubalance 12B on the seconds list, I will grab them.

Thank you very much!

I am reasonably certain 9.5 is the right length...now you are making me wonder whether I should try a B width instead of a C width. I tnd to prefer thin socks, even with work boots such as the Indy because my feet tend to run hot and sweaty.

Order from somewhere that has good easy returns, like TSM. If I were you I'd try the B just to see how it fits. The CXL version is going to stretch more than the others.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Whiskey Chuck's

Fabulous combination my friend!! Enjoy them often and in the best of health...

Whirling

Reaction score
Order from somewhere that has good easy returns, like TSM. If I were you I'd try the B just to see how it fits. The CXL version is going to stretch more than the others.

Great minds think alike...

I actually called TSM today and they confirmed that Alden could immediately ship me some 405s in 9.5B. I already have the 403s, so could use something slightly different. In fact, according to the TSM website, only the 405s are available in in B width; black and CXL are available in C width.

I am glad you mentioned "good easy returns" because I hate getting stuck with poorly-fitting footwear. If I go for the 9.5B 405s and they work well, I might try to unload my very lightly worn 403s in 9.5D, but I must admit I have never, ever sold anything over the Internet.

HeyBremen

Reaction score
(a) lined is definitely more snug (narrower) bc the fit is supposed to be a bit different no lining.
(b) I swear my non-shell make-ups are slightly bigger/looser than my shell make-ups of the same last and model. (LWB)
(c) should be the same but the J Crew PCT boot is slightly more snug than other shell boots on barrie that I own
(d) I haven't noticed too big a difference

Some may say differently here, but that's my two cents...

I happened to have the J Crew Waxed LWBs for a while, IMO, they were dark at first but really lightens up towards to yellow side which was too casual for me. I would go for the 979s because the color is slightly richer or the wingtip boot.

I found my J Crew PCT fit more towards TTS, I wear 9D in PCT and 8.5D in the calf LWBs

I recently purchased the 979's and initially had the same question about the difference between the "waxed" and the "burnished tan" and I am not sure that there is any difference at all. If you look at the other Alden offerings from J.Crew, they have other shoes listed as the color "tobacco" (same as the "waxed" longwings) that are also listed as "burnished tan" in the description. For what it is worth, I love the burnished tan longwings and would recommend you buy from the Shoe Mart as they have excellent customer service. My size was out of stock, but came in a few days directly from Alden.

Thank you, gentlemen. I think I'll go for a 7.5D for the wingtip boot in burnished calf. Hope it fits the same as the unlined shell dover.

xiaopigu

Reaction score
Wow, small world!

Grant is somewhat of a tweener, some people wear it same size as Barrie, some go tts. I think instep wise it's just as roomy as the Barrie last, however the toe box is slightly narrower. Feel free to PM me on here and maybe we can work something out off eBay.

I just noticed your name too by the way, cool!
Ok, sent you a PM :)

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I could go for either a Tobacco Chamois or Hunting Green Reverse Chamois NST Tanker, Antique, Commando.

Perfect to submit something in the next month or 2, and have them arrive for fall.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I could go for either a Tobacco Chamois or Hunting Green Reverse Chamois NST Tanker, Antique, Commando.

Perfect to submit something in the next month or 2, and have them arrive for fall.

Yeah that would be an unreal casual boot, contrast toe stitch and brass eyelets and hooks for maximum pop

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads