• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those just look soo nice especially with the denim.

-Mike

Mike - why do some color 8's look like true burgundy (like these bluchers) and others look more dark purple eggplanty (like your Plaza boots from your recent pic)? I realize that recently Alden's been staining them darker, but i still see a big variation in actual color - some are dark RED and some are dark PURPLE.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mike - why do some color 8's look like true burgundy (like these bluchers) and others look more dark purple eggplanty (like your Plaza boots from your recent pic)?  I realize that recently Alden's been staining them darker, but i still see a big variation in actual color - some are dark RED and some are dark PURPLE.

I think if anything lighting has a bit to do with it. My boots pictured only show off that color in sunlight, but look quite a bit darker in regular fluorescent lightning.

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Contrast of color 8 shell against antique welt always seems to make it look more dark purple or cigar to my eye.

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
4060 today.
Probably the nicest example of the 4060 I've seen and I had a beautiful pair.

gilby

Reaction score
Leffot Greenwich in tobacco reverse chamois and EP duck canvas chinos.

Nice boots! I have the same pair on the way. Did you treat the reverse chamois with anything
before wearing or are they good to go on arrival?

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice boots! I have the same pair on the way. Did you treat the reverse chamois with anything
before wearing or are they good to go on arrival?

I bought my pair used but from what I understand they will be heavily oiled and ready to wear right out of the box. I actually treated my pair with some neatsfoot oil not long ago so you can see the color they were and then the dark almost new looking color they went back to after the neatsfoot oil. BTW the neatsfoot oil was what Horween told me to use on them for conditioning maintenance.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many thanks for all the compliments gentlemen. The color has been great on these even considering they had to be refinished by Alden at first when I got them.

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, could have posted another boot but these are my current fancy, not to mention the incredible comfort of the Commando Sole, a new sole for me altogether.

gilby

Reaction score
I bought my pair used but from what I understand they will be heavily oiled and ready to wear right out of the box. I actually treated my pair with some neatsfoot oil not long ago so you can see the color they were and then the dark almost new looking color they went back to after the neatsfoot oil. BTW the neatsfoot oil was what Horween told me to use on them for conditioning maintenance.

Thanks for the additional information. I'll pick up some neatsfoot oil for when they need treatment.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
Many thanks for all the compliments gentlemen. The color has been great on these even considering they had to be refinished by Alden at first when I got them.
Alden's restoration business just tripled...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads