1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mdubs, Jan 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdubs

mdubs Senior member

Looking great in your Whiskey LHS. Yours looks very well with your jeans today bud.

-Mike

2. ptaylor23

ptaylor23 New Member

Hi everyone. New to the forum. Long time wearer of Alden LWB's for corporate wear. Recently got into boots. Hooked! Does anyone apply taps/plates on heel/toe for protection? Thanks!

3. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

Thank you ironclad. They're from leffot. Commando is my favorite sole. The epaulet pants are a pretty sweet.
    Thanks dubs. One of my favorite shoes.
    Great boots dubs. i want a pair. @ptaylor23 welcome to the show. Alden lwbs were my gateway drug as well. Yes, some people add taps. our good friend Sazon comes to mind.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  4. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Damn, DV, those are some sweet PTBs and sweet pants.

5. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

First day in Aldens

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  6. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Had to be Tanker Wednesday for me this week. Commando and falling snow is a perfect match.

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  7. blue peter

blue peter Senior member

I've found some mention of this topic in previous years but wanted to get more current opinions - thoughts on adding toe and/or heel taps to aldens? do they really add years to the sole? are they uncomfortable to walk in? thoughts? thank you!

8. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

I've never had a set added but last year I bought a pair of cap toes from somebody that had added toe taps and I'll say that they do not change the comfort of the shoe while walking (and I walk on hard surfaces a lot) and they do indeed seem to add some durability to the sole, especially for people like me who really push off on their toes while the walk. I have a couple pair of shoes that are getting close to needing a re-sole and I think I will probably add taps to them.

1 person likes this.
  9. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

Nice tankers, patrick.

1 person likes this.
  10. bantone

bantone Well-Known Member

Got my Longwings from my Grailed order I mentioned earlier in this thread a few days ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They fit great! Minor scuffs but overall the condition of the leather is 9.5/10.

[​IMG]

Comparing them to my AE Strands

[​IMG]

A much richer color in the Aldens. I bought these Longwings for $235 including the dang shoe trees! I saved $350 on the entire buy :) I also like the longwing look more than I thought.

9 people like this.
  11. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Congrats! Great deal.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
    4 people like this.
  12. orionz06

orionz06 Active Member

They're awaiting another batch now, on the list.
    Those would have been perfect!

Blah! The boots look good but really assure me that I want the Grant last for the cap toes.

13. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

I should have known by laces; still sweet-looking!

14. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

I wish my (brown)-vello PTBs looked like these. Where are these from DV? [Edit: sorry, should have read ahead] I like the commando soles for this particular makeup.

15. Don L

Don L Senior member

ODC Grant Ravello Cap's

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8 people like this.
  16. fal32

fal32 Senior member

What is the consensus advice on Grant last sizing?

17. kelpqq

kelpqq Senior member

Gents,

As promised, here are the CitiShoes Snuff Suede Indys on Barrie, model D5902C

All eyelets
    360 storm welt
    raised moc toe stitching (hand stitched?)
    antique edge
    Commando sole
    unlined tongue

I quite like this special make up except the eylelets, they were hard to get on at first.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also have the AOM version on trubalance, the Citi version is definitely more snug, but could be from being new, now I am going to decide which one to keep:slayer:

[​IMG]

Ok guys, pick up the phone, Citi is/was running a 30% special on them

2 people like this.
  18. KPDarb

KPDarb Senior member

My graintrippers came today. I know puckering happens but I have the feeling this might be excessive and in an uncommon area. Im not overly picky about finish on Alden as I know its hit or miss but this is a bit more alarming to me. Im not really concerned about the toe but the instep is a high stress area. How would you guys go about handling this one?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. mdubs

mdubs Senior member

Looking superb for your first day in Aldens!

Those NST Tankers are just superb! Enjoy them today!

Those LWBs are looking superb and it sounds like you got a great deal! Enjoy your new Aldies!

DonL, you are looking as suave as always, this time in your Ravello CT Boots. Keep warm and enjoy them in good health!

Those Snuff Indy boots are looking superb! They should take good care of you!

Those Black Grain boots are looking good, however, I have only seen the internal stitching like that a few times here, I would contact Leffot and see what they can do for you. I personally am apprehensive about their future durability, however, I have no past experience with this to indicate that it actually is problematic.

-Mike

20. KPDarb

KPDarb Senior member

Thanks for the advice, Mike. They're such wonderful boots otherwise, not a single loose stitch and the welt joins are spot on. I'm going to shoot Leffot an email tomorrow to see what they think about it. The durability aspect of it is what is bothering me. Each little puckering mark has a hole into the midsole area which will certainly let in water.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.