• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The MGS4 Thread.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Beat the game on Big Boss Hard at 22:26, 250 or so kills, TONS of alerts... Got bear ranking as the highest and a handful of other ones. My first ten hours were two days worth, Korea is about 14 hours ahead of the USA.
smile.gif

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The person who designed the sound in this game should be given like eight raises. The person who decided that you can only save at checkpoints, thus deleting all gun customizations during a stage where the player is killed, should be fired.
Originally Posted by Brian SD
Boss question.
Answer: I killed the **** out of her, and I got the Octocamo mask but not the face mask.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok I just finished Act 2, and the final stage was one of the most poorly designed game sequences I've ever played. Perfect example of Kojima preferring cinematics over good gameplay. Spoiler: You are completely fucked in this stage if you don't play it exactly by the script (of which you have no prior knowledge). It took me over an hour to beat that 45-second stage because I didn't know you had to use that completely useless-ass roll to get by the final Gecko. Things I tried: 1) Hopping over the tiny roadblock beside him (nope! context jump wasn't programmed for that piece of scenery!), 2) Shooting him with a rocket (nope! He's got some Star Trek deflector shield that the other Geckos don't have!), 3) Finding another way around him (of course not). No, what you have to use is that awful roll that would get you one-hit-killed if you tried it on any of the other Geckos. I think I would have honestly preferred a QTE.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Into act 3 now, the game is badass.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Dusty, I guess I didn't encounter that part at all. I don't remember anything like that. Some of the Gekkos have projectile deflecting (technology that came from MGS2), but you can still shoot out their legs with a rifle or machine gun.

The person who designed the sound in this game should be given like eight raises. The person who decided that you can only save at checkpoints, thus deleting all gun customizations during a stage where the player is killed, should be fired.

God, I hate that. Especially with bosses, where I'm dying a whole lot.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well it's pretty clear that you can't shoot this specific Gekko because it would cause a continuity error with the cutscenes. You can't hit the legs either. Sloppy.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Brian SD

Reaction score
I'm enjoying this even more on my second play through. I got up to the motorcycle chase on Extreme with no healing items/no alerts/no kills, but gave up. I've started a new playthrough on Naked Normal, going to get the Assassin Ranking, Hound Ranking and the Solar Gun, then I'm going to go for the Big Boss ranking again.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads