• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The MBA Thread

Khayembii Communique

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone know how difficult it would be to get into a top part-time MBA program (kellogg, chicago, nyu stern) with a poor GPA but good GMAT?

I'm turning 35 soon. Graduated from a good school with an engineering degree, but a terrible 2.8 GPA. I've always tested well, and imagine I could hit 700ish on the GMAT as needed.

Background is a little non traditional - software product management and internet marketing. Not the typical banker/etc.

Do I have any chance at getting in? I figure the part time programs might be a bit easier. It's just frustrating to think that a GPA from 13 years ago could still screw me over.

Why are you looking at part time programs if you're not around the school? Are you going to actually move to attend a part time program? Or are you talking about doing the EMBA thing where you fly in for a weekend?

zerostyle

Reaction score
How does the prestige of an EMBA compare to a regular full time or part time MBA? No difference really, or is it slightly looked down upon?

OmniscientCause

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How does the prestige of an EMBA compare to a regular full time or part time MBA? No difference really, or is it slightly looked down upon?

My MBA and the emba are the same professors for the most part. I assume it's just a slightly less technical and more theoretical way of teaching.

I had an opportunity to network with people in the emba program this spring and they made it seem as if they were pretty close. If that's the case I don't think it should be looked down upon. Whether it is or not is a different question.

KC when does stern start ? And if you get the chance enter in the M&a competition at smith in the fall, I doubt I'll be participating but I'll be helping out. I know stern came last year.

Khayembii Communique

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My MBA and the emba are the same professors for the most part. I assume it's just a slightly less technical and more theoretical way of teaching.

I had an opportunity to network with people in the emba program this spring and they made it seem as if they were pretty close. If that's the case I don't think it should be looked down upon. Whether it is or not is a different question.

KC when does stern start ? And if you get the chance enter in the M&a competition at smith in the fall, I doubt I'll be participating but I'll be helping out. I know stern came last year.

LAUNCH starts August 19th. Not sure when classes actually start. I'll be moving there 8/13 and my roommates (classmates) 8/15. I'm excited for that and the Wharton case competitions, but will have to see how busy I'll be. No idea what everyone does all day but they always say you're insanely busy during school.

OmniscientCause

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

LAUNCH starts August 19th. Not sure when classes actually start. I'll be moving there 8/13 and my roommates (classmates) 8/15. I'm excited for that and the Wharton case competitions, but will have to see how busy I'll be. No idea what everyone does all day but they always say you're insanely busy during school.

It's all group work. Lots and lots of team assignments. The first term/semester will be the busiest. I honestly found it all manageable but there are certainly times where you have to choose between studying for mid terms and going to and employer event. I always chose the latter. There aren't enough hours in a day some times but it all works out.

I think the most difficult thing of the fall semester is to get over grades. You are accustomed to getting great grades I'm sure...as is everyone in your cohort. The school knows this and that's why the ridiculous curve. You know there is a curve but you still want to do the best. Moral of the story is just do better than average and you'll be fine.

I asked around and our m&a comp actually isn't happening because of budget cuts. Suck I guess that's a negative about big state universities, it sometimes effects the grad programs. The pay out was great too. 10k for teams of 4 if you win.

I recommend doing at least 2 case competitions, one in the fall one in the spring but if you're schedule works out do more. Most of the time there are lots of high level employers there either judging or in attendance. I did a credit Suisse one in the fall.

That's good you have about a month to relax. And I do think you should try to relax as much as possible. September will hit you like a ton of bricks.

Pm me if you have any specific questions. I know smith and stern are not the same school but I willing to help.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

At some of the top tier schools it's the exact same program and same degree. There is no impact to your resume.

Khayembii Communique

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's all group work. Lots and lots of team assignments. The first term/semester will be the busiest. I honestly found it all manageable but there are certainly times where you have to choose between studying for mid terms and going to and employer event. I always chose the latter. There aren't enough hours in a day some times but it all works out.

I think the most difficult thing of the fall semester is to get over grades. You are accustomed to getting great grades I'm sure...as is everyone in your cohort. The school knows this and that's why the ridiculous curve. You know there is a curve but you still want to do the best. Moral of the story is just do better than average and you'll be fine.

I asked around and our m&a comp actually isn't happening because of budget cuts. Suck I guess that's a negative about big state universities, it sometimes effects the grad programs. The pay out was great too. 10k for teams of 4 if you win.

I recommend doing at least 2 case competitions, one in the fall one in the spring but if you're schedule works out do more. Most of the time there are lots of high level employers there either judging or in attendance. I did a credit Suisse one in the fall.

That's good you have about a month to relax. And I do think you should try to relax as much as possible. September will hit you like a ton of bricks.

Pm me if you have any specific questions. I know smith and stern are not the same school but I willing to help.

lol I don't have a month to relax I'm working up until 8/12, we've got two active deals and post-deal wrap up on another to finish up so I'm swamped.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

At some of the top tier schools it's the exact same program and same degree. There is no impact to your resume.

They are the same teachers and content, yes, but everyone knows the standards to get in are vastly different. Speaking as someone who went to one of these schools and evaluates people coming out of these schools, IME there's a strong preference for people from the FT programs. I don't know a lot of PT/EMBA students that will tell you differently, in fact. When you talk to them in recruiting, they're less than forthcoming about the PT status because they know what it implies. With grade non-disclosure so prevalent it's hard to know for certain relative classroom performance, but I can say students in the classes I've taken in the PT slots (evenings/weekends) due to scheduling were always less engaged. There were also the one or two assholes who felt the need to flaunt relevant industry experience at every f-ing opportunity. Not to say the FT program didn't have its share of tone-deaf nitwits, but you can sense a difference in attitudes, ages, and objectives.

Maybe this is different in non-finance/consulting industries, which are typically looking for people to recruit on-cycle.

brokencycle

Reaction score

They are the same teachers and content, yes, but everyone knows the standards to get in are vastly different. Speaking as someone who went to one of these schools and evaluates people coming out of these schools, IME there's a strong preference for people from the FT programs. I don't know a lot of PT/EMBA students that will tell you differently, in fact. When you talk to them in recruiting, they're less than forthcoming about the PT status because they know what it implies. With grade non-disclosure so prevalent it's hard to know for certain relative classroom performance, but I can say students in the classes I've taken in the PT slots (evenings/weekends) due to scheduling were always less engaged. There were also the one or two assholes who felt the need to flaunt relevant industry experience at every f-ing opportunity. Not to say the FT program didn't have its share of tone-deaf nitwits, but you can sense a difference in attitudes, ages, and objectives.

Maybe this is different in non-finance/consulting industries, which are typically looking for people to recruit on-cycle.

This is true. I did a part-time program, and while we could go to the on-campus recruiting, the preference was for full time both by career services and the employers. From the people I knew in the executive programs, they were typically mid to senior managers and weren't looking to move companies/careers.

Holy Man

Reaction score
Not needed. I was in Corp Dev and it was never an issue. If it was a very complex transaction, we ended up hiring outside advisors, where a CFA might have been helpful for establishing credibility, but you really don't need all that technical knowledge for M&A modeling purposes.

MSchapiro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not needed. I was in Corp Dev and it was never an issue. If it was a very complex transaction, we ended up hiring outside advisors, where a CFA might have been helpful for establishing credibility, but you really don't need all that technical knowledge for M&A modeling purposes.

Yeah I've been told as much. Wondering if it is still prudent long term and worth the money and time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads