• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The MBA Thread

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KJT
Yeah - I'll be heading to UNC - Kenan Flagler Barring admission to McCombs.

Originally Posted by newinny
Any other 2013 Admits?

Got into McCombs too. Now I have to decide.

emalkin23

Reaction score
Has anyone in here done a Professional MBA while working 40-45 hours a week? My boss has approached me willing to send me to get my MBA (full ride on his dime) but it is at a much less than stellar program (University of Colorado at Denver). This is the only program around that I could continue to work and still take classes in the evenings. Obviously free school is something I can't turn down but I was curious if anyone had done it and how difficult it was juggling school, work, home, etc. I am single (25) with no kids so I don't have too many obligations except a mortgage. Any info or advice would be great.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am currently having the hardest time cracking the GMAT book right now. I feel like I get a bit dumber by the second doing practice problems and I am falling asleep doing them.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I am currently having the hardest time cracking the GMAT book right now. I feel like I get a bit dumber by the second doing practice problems and I am falling asleep doing them.

I had the same problem. The solution was setting up a detailed schedule of what sections need to be finished when, and then I started getting up really early and doing practice problems before work. I'd get up have coffee/breakfast, shower, and then work for 1.5-2 hours.

Piece of advice I was given that stuck with me was to give your studying the best hours of your day, not your worst. If you're falling asleep, you're not learning jack.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KJT
I had the same problem. The solution was setting up a detailed schedule of what sections need to be finished when, and then I started getting up really early and doing practice problems before work. I'd get up have coffee/breakfast, shower, and then work for 1.5-2 hours.

Piece of advice I was given that stuck with me was to give your studying the best hours of your day, not your worst. If you're falling asleep, you're not learning jack.

The best hours of my day are when I am sleeping.
wink.gif

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The best hours of my day are when I am sleeping.
wink.gif

Caffeine pills help too:
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

DaveB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KJT

Just curious what kind of improvement do you really see in your GMAT score if you study X hours?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DaveB
Just curious what kind of improvement do you really see in your GMAT score if you study X hours?

I am curious too. I think after a certain point you get diminishing marginal results. I feel like justtaking the damn test.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DaveB
I am curious too. I think after a certain point you get diminishing marginal results. I feel like justtaking the damn test.
I don't know what your baseline is, but I increased 100 points. I took one test cold, before studying at all to figure out where my weaknesses were and worked on those the most. If you're already testing at 700+ you might not see much improvement. Studying also had a large impact on how much time each question took me. Manhattan GMAT's books had a lot of great time saving advice on how to approach certain questions. Download GMATPrep from the GMAC - you get 2 tests comprised of actual GMAT questions, in the format of the actual GMAT, and a breakdown of how you did afterward finishing. I think if you re-install you actually get another 2 tests, so you can have 4 total. http://www.mba.com/the-gmat/download...tion-software/ Take a test now and see if you're where you want to be. Factor in test day pressure, not being at home, doing your work on a whiteboard, etc. into your score as well. It's easier at home. Also remember that you have to write your essays before starting the test, which saps some brain power as well. Edit: Also, remember that the GMAT is just one box you need to check in your application package. Get a 700+ and you pretty much checked it.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KJT
I don't know what your baseline is, but I increased 100 points. I took one test cold, before studying at all to figure out where my weaknesses were and worked on those the most. If you're already testing at 700+ you might not see much improvement.

Studying also had a large impact on how much time each question took me. Manhattan GMAT's books had a lot of great time saving advice on how to approach certain questions

Download GMATPrep from the GMAC - you get 2 tests comprised of actual GMAT questions, in the format of the actual GMAT, and a breakdown of how you did afterward finishing. I think if you re-install you actually get another 2 tests, so you can have 4 total.

http://www.mba.com/the-gmat/download...tion-software/

Take a test now and see if you're where you want to be. Factor in test day pressure, not being at home, doing your work on a whiteboard, etc. into your score as well. It's easier at home. Also remember that you have to write your essays before starting the test, which saps some brain power as well.

I have heard this as well. I just don't understand why people claim you should study 3 hours a day for 3 months in order to gain time saving techniques.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have heard this as well. I just don't understand why people claim you should study 3 hours a day for 3 months in order to gain time saving techniques.

I mean, I hadn't done geometry since 10th grade man, so I needed 6 weeks of studying before and after work to get comfortable with the material. It's different for everyone. A friend who's at Booth now took a week off of work, went through his study guides and rocked a 750. The fact is though, assuming you're a fairly intelligent person, the GMAT is a test that can be learned with enough work.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KJT
I mean, I hadn't done geometry since 10th grade man, so I needed 6 weeks of studying before and after work to get comfortable with the material. It's different for everyone. A friend who's at Booth now took a week off of work, went through his study guides and rocked a 750. The fact is though, assuming you're a fairly intelligent person, the GMAT is a test that can be learned with enough work.

Agreed. The concepts it tests are finite. You can get through all of them and master them to the point that you can do them quickly. At least w/ math. Verbal I think has a lot more to do with your reading habits and native language (English = better).

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I dont think anyone should study more than 4 months. 3 months is better. Study 4-7 days per week, and take it. I studied after work, I had a full time job. No prep courses, 1 book.

I scored something like 550-600 on a paper practice test before any studying
first gmatprep at around 4 weeks was 710
2nd gmatprep around 8 weeks was 730
actual test: 770

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
I dont think anyone should study more than 4 months. 3 months is better. Study 4-7 days per week, and take it. I studied after work, I had a full time job. No prep courses, 1 book. I scored something like 550-600 on a paper practice test before any studying first gmatprep at around 4 weeks was 710 2nd gmatprep around 8 weeks was 730 actual test: 770
Damn dude. What school are you going to?

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KJT
Damn dude. What school are you going to?

I'm done with MBA, don't worry it wasn't even a top 10 school.

I said it before somewhere in this thread but the top schools don't care about an ultra high GMAT score. They could take their pool of applicants and pick by resume alone, and the resulting GMAT average would still be above 700.

Just dont score a 610 or some ****... even 680-ish is fine...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads