• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The (hopefully) definitive thread on Seattle tailors

z50

Reaction score
Stolen from TGFNY

I propose that there are 3 levels of tailors for alterations and would love to know everone's favorite in all categories.

Category 1) "Money is no object, I need my Anderson & Sheppard suit alterred and I don't fly to London commercially now that the Concorde is no more and my G-V is in the shop."
Basically a tailor to whom you could trust anything. Doesn't have to be expensive, but most likely is.

Category 2) Value for money. All-around tailor that provides good value for basic things i.e. can sew button holes, but you might not trust him recutting pants.

Category 3) "I'm not gonna pay a lot for this muffler." Can handle hems, cuffs and the basic things, but the best thing about the alterations is the price.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Category 1: Scott Kuhlman in Belltown

Category 2: that guy in the ID near the firemen statue

Category 3: Sparkle Clean in Ballard (I've never been disappointed)

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I let Scott Kuhlman and his crew handle everything of mine now, from simple hems, to complex sleeve operations. He is not much more expensive than other tailors.

If you're looking to save a few bucks and need cheap but good simple alterations I recommend Adam (down on Jackson...is he even still working?), or Mario's (on Stewart).

kinetic

Reaction score
Bringing this back from the depths.

Anyone have other suggestions for good tailors in Seattle? I usually take most of my stuff to Kuhlman's, but was looking for other options as well. Been meaning to try Adam tailor down in Pioneer Square.

Really looking for a good place to take shirts for sleeve shortening and getting the body slimmed down.

NickM3

Reaction score
I use John Pan of Northwest Tailors at 1516 2nd Ave downtown, near noc noc.

He was recommended to me by the staff at Polite Society. Been using him for the past couple years on most of my pants/shirts and have been very pleased with his work.

If anyone has any tips on any relatively inexpensive MTM in the area I'd appreciate some info. Need some quality suits, but am on a student budget.

mjraica

Reaction score
I have been reasonably happy with Hartsmann Tailors in Bellevue. Have had multiple shirts slimmed down by him and all except for one have turned out great (one exception being a shirt that may have just been too old to worry about, he did it but it has started to fray. I don't consider it his fault). He currently will do a custom suit for $900, but that doesn't include a lot, just a basic two button. I am having four custom shirts made by him, priced at $150 apiece, minimum order four. I should be able to pick them up next week, will report back then on quality.

Cornellian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by z50
Stolen from TGFNY

I propose that there are 3 levels of tailors for alterations and would love to know everone's favorite in all categories.

Category 1) "Money is no object, I need my Anderson & Sheppard suit alterred and I don't fly to London commercially now that the Concorde is no more and my G-V is in the shop."
Basically a tailor to whom you could trust anything. Doesn't have to be expensive, but most likely is.

>>>This category does not exist in Seattle. There is J DeCaro, but I don't like him personally, and some of the work he has done for me has been disappointing.

Category 2) Value for money. All-around tailor that provides good value for basic things i.e. can sew button holes, but you might not trust him recutting pants.

>>>Superb Custom Tailors (Misook Chung), 323 W Galer, Queen Anne.

Category 3) "I'm not gonna pay a lot for this muffler." Can handle hems, cuffs and the basic things, but the best thing about the alterations is the price.

>>>Ayhan Uysal. Tailor at Nordstrom part time, has his own shop on 5th between pike and pine the rest of the time.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

My 2 cents... I've never used Kuhlman, but after reading this, maybe I will.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads