• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Free Style

Reaction score
Hi all - not really tailoring question but somewhat related: do you know a reliable cobbler who can install metal toe caps on shoes? Thanks!

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
Try any of these:

Andersen Shoes Repair (Sheung Wan)

Leather Healer (Central)

Best Skill (Causeway Bay)

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
Just to show a couple of new shirts from shirtmaker Wong (A7, 16/F, Mirador Mansions).

I finally nailed my pattern and construction configurations - a journey started in 2014...

Pattern matching - very much regarded as the norm these days. A few years back it required a special request to your tailor "HKD 1000/3 shirts" - now even tailors at the lower price bracket started to offer such premium (careful making is at a premium, sadly) features as near-perfect pattern matching, side gusset etc.

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, been lurking around for a while and just finally getting around to posting.

Will be going to Hong Kong in October for 21 days for a business trip. Finally excited to get my hands on some HK tailoring. May even pop on over to Shenzhen for a suit just to compare haha...

I see a lot of people have mentioned specific tailor shops --- I'm thinking to get around 3 suits, fully canvassed, and a number of shirts (maybe 5 or 6 shirts). Obviously, I want bang - for - buck, and have read a lot of posts about the whole CMT thing. So I'm guessing I will budget around 5000 - 6000 HKD per suit. Haven't thought about shirt budget yet, but have also read on this forum about people hitting up Albini for TM fabric --- anyone know the walk-in price per meter? (I'd ideally go through this route as I have a bunch of shirts made using Cistes fabric, which, I don't think holds a candle to TM according to some posters here).

Do y'all know if Ng Sifu would be willing to commission a CMT for a first-timer? I've scrolled through PekingRoad's (sorry not stalking just researching haha) instagram and pinterest and it seems like most of his work has been commissioned by Ng Sifu. Does Ng Sifu have his own fabrics for walk-ins to choose from or would I absolutely have to go and grab fabric first?

So, anyone know where I can walk-in and purchase suit fabric for CMT purpose in HKG and has the best "bang-for-buck?"

I would love to document my entire tailoring trip so any help with the above concerns of mine would be highly appreciated!

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to add that I would also consider hitting up the tailor shops, and adjust budget accordingly (so instead of three suits, probably just two). Seems like many people are recommending Dream Bespoke, Prologue... etc.

My suits would be strictly for business purposes...

Free Style

Reaction score
Hi everyone, been lurking around for a while and just finally getting around to posting.

Will be going to Hong Kong in October for 21 days for a business trip. Finally excited to get my hands on some HK tailoring. May even pop on over to Shenzhen for a suit just to compare haha...

I see a lot of people have mentioned specific tailor shops --- I'm thinking to get around 3 suits, fully canvassed, and a number of shirts (maybe 5 or 6 shirts). Obviously, I want bang - for - buck, and have read a lot of posts about the whole CMT thing. So I'm guessing I will budget around 5000 - 6000 HKD per suit. Haven't thought about shirt budget yet, but have also read on this forum about people hitting up Albini for TM fabric --- anyone know the walk-in price per meter? (I'd ideally go through this route as I have a bunch of shirts made using Cistes fabric, which, I don't think holds a candle to TM according to some posters here).

Do y'all know if Ng Sifu would be willing to commission a CMT for a first-timer? I've scrolled through PekingRoad's (sorry not stalking just researching haha) instagram and pinterest and it seems like most of his work has been commissioned by Ng Sifu. Does Ng Sifu have his own fabrics for walk-ins to choose from or would I absolutely have to go and grab fabric first?

So, anyone know where I can walk-in and purchase suit fabric for CMT purpose in HKG and has the best "bang-for-buck?"

I would love to document my entire tailoring trip so any help with the above concerns of mine would be highly appreciated!

Regarding Ng Sifu: you will need to bring your own fabric and someone who can help you with cantonese language. Some sifu is ok with english speaking people, others less so.

As for the fabric for CMT, depends what you want. A good place to start is PekingRoad website which lists a few fabric shops.

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regarding Ng Sifu: you will need to bring your own fabric and someone who can help you with cantonese language. Some sifu is ok with english speaking people, others less so.

As for the fabric for CMT, depends what you want. A good place to start is PekingRoad website which lists a few fabric shops.

Thanks for the reply!

Okay for Ng Sifu, got it, need to bring my own fabric. Cantonese is no problem for me, but I may ask one of my HK buddies to come with me to check out / see fitting / etc.

Is his price still 2800 HKD for Full Canvas Shanghai workmanship? (sorry for asking so many price related questions, I'm obsessive about numbers and budgets and preparation as to how much cash to carry since I doubt I can swipe my CC at his workshop so... yeah).

Does Ng Sifu offer a "made in HK option?" It seems most HK Baotou outsource the sewing and construction to Shenzhen...

dennistsang

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!

Okay for Ng Sifu, got it, need to bring my own fabric. Cantonese is no problem for me, but I may ask one of my HK buddies to come with me to check out / see fitting / etc.

Is his price still 2800 HKD for Full Canvas Shanghai workmanship? (sorry for asking so many price related questions, I'm obsessive about numbers and budgets and preparation as to how much cash to carry since I doubt I can swipe my CC at his workshop so... yeah).

Does Ng Sifu offer a "made in HK option?" It seems most HK Baotou outsource the sewing and construction to Shenzhen...
I will say 99% of tailor in HK outsource the sewing & construction to Shenzhen. Even WWChan has its own workshop in SZ.

Free Style

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!

Still 2800 hkd CMT

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will say 99% of tailor in HK outsource the sewing & construction to Shenzhen. Even WWChan has its own workshop in SZ.

Ah I see... @dennistsang would you happen to know of any reputable Shenzhen tailor shops over in Luohu Commercial Centre? I will be traveling back and forth between Luohu and HKG for business so I do plan on hitting it up and checking out what is there.

Isochronous

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with any of the following tailors:

Dal Duca
Empire Tailors
A Man Hin Cheong

Have used William Cheng several times but wondering whether it is worth paying to step up to any of these listed. (I'm aware of WW Chan being the leader but wondering about alternatives).

Other good quality bespoke tailor suggestions also appreciated. In need of new suits and blazers.

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with any of the following tailors:

Dal Duca
Empire Tailors
A Man Hin Cheong

Have used William Cheng several times but wondering whether it is worth paying to step up to any of these listed. (I'm aware of WW Chan being the leader but wondering about alternatives).

Other good quality bespoke tailor suggestions also appreciated. In need of new suits and blazers.

Dal Duca: purportedly Italian made with commensurate high price - Paone for full bespoke or Canali for RTW/ MTM makes more sense?

Empire Tailors: really an upgrade?

AMHC: grossly overrated - like Turnbull & Asser, you pay for fading glory...

To upgrade in price is easy. To upgrade in quality needs careful research...

Isochronous

Reaction score
Dal Duca: purportedly Italian made with commensurate high price - Paone for full bespoke or Canali for RTW/ MTM makes more sense?

Empire Tailors: really an upgrade?

AMHC: grossly overrated - like Turnbull & Asser, you pay for fading glory...

To upgrade in price is easy. To upgrade in quality needs careful research...

Sounds like the answer is that I should just bite the bullet and spend HKD $20k at WW Chan!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads