• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today, I have break my rule and placed an order with Ricky at Dream Bespoke today.

Very nice place and I hope Ricky will not find me too annoying.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also, the button holes on shirt shouldn't opened on "vertical line" of check? This is unacceptable for me...

@BigbigJohnny
 That was a good observation that you made about @AchtungBaby07
 check shirt's button holes, amongst others.  

Consequently, I went and double checked my own recent new shirt commissions for that important shirt finishing detail.  Fortunately, no issues there for me, as my tailor had done a good job on that particular detail. ...

What does this mean exactly? Not sure this makes much difference.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

May I know what your rule is that you have broken?

This is the first time I tried another HK tailor. I have always been using Hui to make my stuff in HK.

Chowkin

Reaction score

This is the first time I tried another HK tailor. I have always been using Hui to make my stuff in HK.

What's the reason behind the change?

I also went to DB for a suit and just loved Kwan Senior. The atmosphere is much better than at TPR.

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My shop is not a tailor shop. My shop is a scientific compnay. Lai sifu use my upstair and he run his own business independent. A guy pay depsoit to him and run away does not harm me. It harms sifu in my upstairs. However, if he cannot make enough money, he have to leave my upstair. My upstairs will be empty and I need to find someone (can be other business nature) to occupy the floor. Two days ago, he received over 10 suits order which were sub-contracted for Peter Lee /Lee Baron. His recently income is pretty good and I do not think of any reason he will move out within short period of time .

Car, I am interested to see the canvassing and padding your sifu upstair made, could you show us some photos?
Also I would like to know what kind of canvas he used, are they english canvas?

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are you meaning the fitter, cutter and maker all are in house?

When I was in Dream, Ricky and his dad are in house. His dad was looking into my coat in great detail. Sadly, I didnt meet the waistcoat and trouser maker.

I have asked Ricky to have an English canvassed coat and waistcoat.

Shape should not be a problem since I ask for padded shoulder.

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

When I was in Dream, Ricky and his dad are in house. His dad was looking into my coat in great detail. Sadly, I didnt meet the waistcoat and trouser maker.

I have asked Ricky to have an English canvassed coat and waistcoat.

Shape should not be a problem since I ask for padded shoulder.

Their makers are not in house.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Classic Car

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Car, I am interested to see the canvassing and padding your sifu upstair made, could you show us some photos?
Also I would like to know what kind of canvas he used, are they english canvas?

Ball,

Recently, Lai sifu use my upstairs to meet customers such as measurement, fitting and final pressing only. He does all other work in his own home, such as cutting, prepare internal front construction. Therefore, I cannot show you photos.

After that, he will send to coat maker to finish the jacket. As he told me before, he use Japan canvass earlier which is HK$40 per yd (3 yd for 4 jackets) Now, he use italian canvass which is HK$60 per yd. In HK, it is difficult to get English canvass which will cost around $120 per yd if order from UK. He does not know how to order canvass from UK. But some customers supply English canvass to him. He is an independant head cuttuer/tailor only. Please do not asuume he or me operating a tailor shop.

Lai sifu recently get the contract of alternation jobs for Canali TST. He will station my upstairs more time as a supervisor for 2-3 workers do alternations of Canali.

Have a chance to talk to Lai sifu yesterday, Peter Lee did not order the CMT (around 15 suits) from him directly but through his previous boss who owns a hugh workshops in Shenzhen. He just cut and do the fitting for his previous boss with a relative small amount of money. All other jobs are done by his previous boss employee as well as the internal materials. Peter Lee will get cheaper instead of directly cmt to Lai sifu. Lai sifu present coat maker is independant couple who are not from his previous boss and lai said is higher level of cfraftsmanship.

Afterall, Lai sifu is operating independantly, he does not need to let me know his details and I do not need to know too. If you have more questions, you are welcome to ask him directly which is better.

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ball,

Recently, Lai sifu use my upstairs to meet customers such as measurement, fitting and final pressing only. He does all other work in his own home, such as cutting, prepare internal front construction. Therefore, I cannot show you photos.

Thanks, Car!
I saw his name card said you are the "contact person," so I think you should know all that.
I also heard all over the SF and other fora members said you are asking people to place order to Lai sifu, it make me think that you should know pretty well what he is doing.:lol:

I think you may take few pics of the fitting suits, then we will know how it is look like. No need to go to workshop.

You can buy english canvas easily from Merino Brothers.

Last edited:

phphl

Reaction score
Thanks, Car!
I saw his name card said you are the "contact person," so I think you should know all that.
I also heard all over the SF and other fora members said you are asking people to place order to Lai sifu, it make me think that you should know pretty well what he is doing.
lol8[1].gif

I think you may take few pics of the fitting suits, then we will know how it is look like. No need to go to workshop.

You can buy english canvas easily from Merino Brothers.

Sorry for chiming in... So Merino Brothers do offer english canvas as well?! From which brand? RJW?

Classic Car

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Thanks, Car!
I also heard all over the SF and other fora members said you are asking people to place order to Lai sifu, it make me think that you should know pretty well what he is doing.:lol:

If you saw Lai sifu name card, he has his phone number too. But he does not speak any English, that why he ask me as a contact person for English speaking customers. Moreover, a lot of his time is in Shenzhen but I am not.

Before he is a employee tailor. He is not a sales person . He has no contact details for customers. He asked me a favour, to shout out for him whom he is independant to take orders now.

As I said before, if he cannot make enough money, I need to find another people to occupy my upstairs. I do not want to spend effort finding another people.

He never sell any shirts from my upstairs. How many tailor shops in HK never sell shirts?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics