• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BespokeKiwi

Reaction score
What does this mean exactly? Not sure this makes much difference

@TheTukker Below is my understanding of what @BigbigJohnny was trying to point out. That is, the present out of alignment and "unacceptable" placement of the shirt button holes by Moda Republic, the HK tailor of @AchtungBaby07 .

Edit: Any graphic designers in our SF community will know instinctively what @BigbigJohnny took offence too.

Last edited:

Classic Car

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Thanks, Car!
I saw his name card said you are the "contact person," so I think you should know all that.
I also heard all over the SF and other fora members said you are asking people to place order to Lai sifu, it make me think that you should know pretty well what he is doing.:lol:

I think you may take few pics of the fitting suits, then we will know how it is look like. No need to go to workshop.

You can buy english canvas easily from Merino Brothers.

If Lai sifui customers like to post their fitting jacket or suits, they are welcomed to do so but it is not my responsibilty.

Lai sifu use which kind of canvass and where to source the canvass is not my concern except for my personal orders. I am happy with the canvass which he put on the jacket.

Afterall, I would not suggest him to buy anything from Merino Brothers.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks BK - so the buttonhole should be centered between the two vertical white lines? Not sure that that makes much of a difference...:confused:

Merino Bros

Reaction score

Sorry for chiming in... So Merino Brothers do offer english canvas as well?! From which brand? RJW?

we are selling LBD-Harrisons canvas.

The following link is a review of LBD -Harrisons canvas by cutter and tailor
http://www.cutterandtailor.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=887

usually, we suggest T1275 and T1294 for body canvas. Dream Bespoke has been using both of them for months. They treat them as an option for experienced clients who specially request.

The list price of them are HKD110 and 150 per yard(including delivery). In order words, you can buy them easily through us below 120 per yard after discount. There is no minimum length order too.

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
I'm sorry I'm late to this thread. I used Peter Lee a few years ago and loved his work. Who is Lai Sifu? Was he Peter Lee's tailor? If I go back to Peter Lee, will his quality be the same as it always was or is he using a different maker now?

Sorry if this has already been answered. I couldn't find it.

BespokeKiwi

Reaction score
@TheTukker from my perspective, its about attention to the finishing details and visual symmetry for the sake of an overall harmonious appearance. Otherwise, things start to look askew or just plain off.

Having said that, I do accept that ensuring button holes are symmetrically aligned with shirt fabric patterns may appear to be overly fussy to some -- aka "majoring in the minor details". However, the same principle of visual symmetry can be applied elsewhere too, e.g. ensuring that striped shirt fabric patterns line up at the seams etc.

Last edited:

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@TheTukker
  from my perspective, its about attention to the finishing details and visual symmetry for the sake of an overall harmonious appearance.  Otherwise, things start to look askew or just plain off.  

Having said that, I do accept that ensuring button holes are symmetrically aligned with shirt fabric patterns may appear to be overly fussy to some -- aka "majoring in the minor details".  However, the same principle of visual symmetry can be applied elsewhere too, e.g. ensuring that striped shirt fabric patterns line up at the seams etc.

Many thanks BK - in fact, I take it back: I just checked a bunch of my shirts (by different makers) and realized they actually have this detail. Clearly, I have not been able to fully appreciate their work. :embar:

phphl

Reaction score
we are selling LBD-Harrisons canvas.

The following link is a review of LBD -Harrisons canvas by cutter and tailor
http://www.cutterandtailor.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=887

usually, we suggest T1275 and T1294 for body canvas. Dream Bespoke has been using both of them for months. They treat them as an option for experienced clients who specially request.

The list price of them are HKD110 and 150 per yard(including delivery). In order words, you can buy them easily through us below 120 per yard after discount. There is no minimum length order too.
Thanks for the info! So I suppose what you implied is that LBD's are better than DB's default canvas, which I suppose is RJW's?
smile.gif

aton

Reaction score

Thanks for the info! So I suppose what you implied is that LBD's are better than DB's default canvas, which I suppose is RJW's? :)

Phphl, do you know which tailor shops in hk use english canvas as default?
I doubt db (and most tailor shops in hk) would use rjw canvas as default. Other members may wish to clarify.

Last edited:

BigbigJohnny

Reaction score
tailor Lai used to work for Peter Lee and now he step out and open his own.

I think the quality should be the same and you can check with Classic Car.

I'm sorry I'm late to this thread. I used Peter Lee a few years ago and loved his work. Who is Lai Sifu? Was he Peter Lee's tailor? If I go back to Peter Lee, will his quality be the same as it always was or is he using a different maker now?

Sorry if this has already been answered. I couldn't find it.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Today, I have break my rule and placed an order with Ricky at Dream Bespoke today.

Very nice place and I hope Ricky will not find me too annoying.

I will watch the results with considerable interest. You are the customer - you can't be a "nuisance" if he is focussed upon you. What prompted you to change?

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I will watch the results with considerable interest. You are the customer - you can't be a "nuisance" if he is focussed upon you. What prompted you to change?

There is no particular reason really.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads