Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Hong Kong Tailors Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Silk, Apr 6, 2007.

1. chobochobo

chobochobo Rubber Chicken Dubiously Honored Moderator

I can't keep up with the speed of the posts in that forum

2. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Haha I picked that up ridiculously cheap on sale (as a suit) and had it altered, but I like the look enough that I might be tempted to get one similar made by a tailor. I liked the idea of using the color as a different way to play with brown/earth tones, it suddenly makes the entire outfit a bit more modern/urban and less country-esque, I think.

I can't wait to get back to HK and get a billion things made.

3. borbor

borbor Senior member

4. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

I think the series of post over there tells you how to buy things cheap, but not how to enjoy things.

I must admit there are lots of bargain there.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014

5. Classic Car

Classic Car Senior member

Definitely for shoes. Attract many local people because of bargains when buying in groups.

6. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Anyone got info on custom shoes in Hong Kong? Price ranges, makers/locations, time it takes, styles/options? Are there quality notably better than I would get buying just online (been getting Loakes).

7. Stiva

Stiva Senior member

8. Alex-ModaR

Alex-ModaR Affiliate Vendor

Hi Originaljy881, could you post pics of your product for us to see?

9. Alex-ModaR

Hi Isolation, I just read your review. Thanks again for the kind words. I just wanted to mention that we do have basic shirts that start at HK$350 which is the same ones that Jantzen sells. Our $400 ones just include more customization options and better fabric. Thanks again for the favorable review and I look forward to having other members come visit us as well! Thanks

10. s14roller

s14roller Member

Hi, guys. First off, what a great topic...I ended up reading through the whole thread in the last 3 days and I went from not knowing where to start, to a pretty good idea of where I want to go.

My first search on the internet told me to go to Sam's, which judging by this thread, is a pretty mixed bag at best.

I was wondering if you could help me hone in on the specs I'm looking for. I don't wear suits daily, just to weddings, banquets, and interviews. Currently the nicest fitting suit I have is from Hugo Boss (red label) from Bloomingdales which was a $800 suit that I got for $450.

The question is, would I be able to get a better fitting suit in nicer material than that HB baseline, from a tailor such as Peter Lee, Empire, Simpon Sin, or Dream bespoke? Those are the 4 that I have narrowed it down to in order to fit a reasonable budget. I will be in HK for a week, so assume I can go to 2-3 fittings, so I'm just trying to see if it's worth getting a suit while there.

Thanks a lot.

11. Alex-ModaR

Hi S14roller just fyi most people will be on holiday for Chinese new year, if you're planning on coming in the next 1-2 weeks.

12. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Mind the holidays, but yes. In general I think fit is more important than material at a certain point, anyway, but I think you can definitely get a better suit. Hugo Boss is kind of not liked here. I personally haven't owned an item from them ever, I just don't like Nazis, but you know.

13. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

Hello everyone.

keep an eye for my two new projects.

4x1 db vintage brown multistripe fresco.

3r2 3pc midnight chalkstripe dugdale New Wool collection.

14. s14roller

s14roller Member

Thanks, guys. I’ll be going after CNY.

I’ll get the tailor’s reco on what would be a step up in material compared to what I have. For my first bespoke, trying to keep it reasonable like many others starting out, so I’m hoping around $500-600 will be good. In terms of the tailors I mentioned, is there one that seems a bit better in tailoring a slim cut suit? I have an athletic frame (5’9, 150 lbs, single digit body fat) so I have a small waist but wider shoulders. Really looking for something that fit/look wise, people will be able to tell it’s a very well cut suit. I understand the Chan’s of the world may have better construction, but as long as my first custom suit is better than the Hugo Boss I have, I’ll be happy. Can’t quite get my head around close to $1K for one just yet!

15. s14roller

s14roller Member

Thanks, guys. I’ll be going after CNY.

I’ll get the tailor’s reco on what would be a step up in material compared to what I have. For my first bespoke, trying to keep it reasonable like many others starting out, so I’m hoping around $500-600 will be good. In terms of the tailors I mentioned, is there one that seems a bit better in tailoring a slim cut suit? I have an athletic frame (5’9, 150 lbs, single digit body fat) so I have a small waist but wider shoulders. Really looking for something that fit/look wise, people will be able to tell it’s a very well cut suit. I understand the Chan’s of the world may have better construction, but as long as my first custom suit is better than the Hugo Boss I have, I’ll be happy. Can’t quite get my head around close to $1K for one just yet!