The Hong Kong Tailors Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Silk, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

I think as long as you don't go with one of the tourist traps it'll be at least noticeably better, but I've found that some of the other decent low range tailors have bad English and go with a pretty conservative and harder shouldered house style. I've had a lot of success with Simpson Sin, but I plan on getting a suit made from Moda, and they have people there that should be able to communicate well and find out what you want, and I've seen some pictures from their thread which seem quite good. I've had all my suits fairly slim cut in general, and I think it's kind of the modern trend anyway so they'll all know how to do it, but it'll be about not messing up the other parts while getting it slimmer that is probably the focus.

2. Rufus Hank

Rufus Hank Member

Hi all,
    Last year I went to HK and like others, did my research for a new suit. I settled on Peter Lee (Lee Baron) as I was only in HK for a week and it wasn't enough time for Chen.

Measured once, two fittings thereafter.

I thought I would post the photos of my suit. (Sorry about the photos, a bit blurry)

Material is Holland & Sherry, suit is half-canvassed - I was told that it would lie better on me.
    I think it was about $900 all in

I think I am going to have another made (fully canvased) - All comments welcome (or suggestions for the next one)

3. Rufus Hank

Rufus Hank Member

4. Rufus Hank

Rufus Hank Member

5. GBR

GBR Senior member

I really do get wearied at the stories middle ranking and other tailors have to tell their inexperienced customers to have other than full canvassed. Here we have "would lie better on", yesterday in another thread one was told "... it is too heavy, so have fused". These are quite preposterous and demonstrate how poor they really are.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  6. BigbigJohnny

BigbigJohnny Well-Known Member

Agree with GBR

The front part of jacket is completely shapeless and I don't think Lee can make it better by just taking in from side.

7. GBR

GBR Senior member

Gordon Yao who I favour and Chan are pretty equal. I do some times fear Chan has grown too fast. I did use them for a while but settled on marginal preference upon Yao.

8. 32-20

32-20 Active Member

I ordered a three piece suit from Lee Baron and had my first fitting a few days before Chinese New Year.
    When I selected a material and asked for the price, I was given a low figure - I was surprised, then specified that I wanted full canvassing and no fusing, and the figure jumped up to around 7800 HKD. Definitely not a place for the untutored - that omission was almost literally a tourist trap. I paid half in cash, presented the Indian fellow with a scrapsheet of photos explaining my preferences, discussed it with him, and left.
    At the first fitting, the suit had all the obvious problems of the outfit posted above - button stance too high, gorge too high, skirt too short, trousers hugging the hips - as well as the additional problem of an excessively long waistcoat. In short, all influenced by the indiscriminate following of the trends of the last 5 years. I shudder to think of what this place was putting out in the 1980s. Armhole fairly high, but in need of some tightening. Waist suppression centred on an excessively high button stance and in need of extension downwards.
    However, I didn't get any lip from the workers when I explained each part that needed alteration. No "this modern style," "this look better," etc. that you hear of from cowboy operations. It was extremely useful to have my Y. William Yu sportcoat on hand, as the style was exactly what I wanted for the suit coat. They even took measurements from it (e.g. the gorge height) when I used it as a stylistic example, so I'm quite confident only minor alteration will be needed at the second fitting. A tailor was present to appraise the fit, with whom the Indian fellow spoke in Cantonese. The trousers fit well on the leg, slim but not tight; the jacket sleeve was perfect, and the shoulder was as straight and sleek as I specified. But this place is definitely not for novices, and I'm glad I went to a higher end place for my first bespoke jacket.

9. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

I remember Simpson Sin told me they were half canvassed, but said I could get it fully canvassed for a bit more money but he doesn't recommend it. I forgot his exact reason, something like it's essentially unnecessary and just makes the suit stiffer in the front or whatever. I don't know why he'd be making excuses though as it's not like he's making fused suits, or that he doesn't give the option.

10. alco

alco Well-Known Member

Anyone can recommend a good alterations place in Hong Kong or maybe who The Armoury uses? Nothing major, just functioning jacket button cuffs or hemming of the pants length. Would rather get it right the first time then try out shops one by one.

11. max3195

max3195 New Member

I have used A Timeless Tailor on many occasions. I cannot get any "off the rack" stuff to fit me, so Andy & his team have been making all of my shirts & the odd suit for many years. Very happy with the quality, service & price.
    Can recommend.
    M

12. GBR

GBR Senior member

I have used A Timeless Tailor on many occasions. I cannot get any "off the rack" stuff to fit me, so Andy & his team have been making all of my shirts & the odd suit for many years. Very happy with the quality, service & price.
    Can recommend.
    M
    [/quote Oh yes, a newcomer in a first post bringing a fulsome recommendation for a little known tailor? Very questionable

13. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

So WW Chan is doing a tour, and that might be useful. What's experience like compared to a normal in store service? Do you not get proper fittings? Is the price similar?

14. BigbigJohnny

BigbigJohnny Well-Known Member

Well
    I would say Timeless definitely can't give the quality that we are looking for.
    They are better than Cheong Hing but not hugh difference.

15. slagg666

slagg666 New Member

WOW! Talk about price increase. Gordon Yao quoted me a 3pc suit in Hardy's Alsport Tweed for $2900USD!!! I did NOT expect that kind of pricing from an Asian tailor. I believe Napoli Si Misura would cost less.