• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

marblehouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

....He had quite a few stories of couples splitting up, living in separate houses due to frustrating remodels. It can test a relationship if you aren't in sync.

Never, ever, for any reason, at any time, no matter what, no matter where, renovate an entire house with a significant other. It is not worth it.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
one should always be a lot less interested in always getting their way. We initially butted heads a lot, but my fiancée now sees my over-arching plan and has faith that I'll fallow through with it successfully. She has a great eye for antiques and art, which can be entirely different than the architectural style it exists in and still remain a success.

If both have similar taste it helps, many do not, so one needs to step aside.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Landscaping with tropical plants. In the fall you pull the pots out of the ground and they go inside or (more likely) I'll have to build a greenhouse. I might just do some collapsible thing since having a greenhouse year-round here is a dumb idea. Plus, I don't have a good spot for one [but temorary greenhouses can go under trees because they don't have leaves in the winter...].

Not an impressive display at the moment, but I'm working on it. The tree is a bradford pear, a **** tree, but it's reasonably attractive until it splits and it gives the bromeliads the dappled light and morning/evening sun they like.

Last edited:

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm getting my mortgage from Well Fargo. Is there any good reason not to get the home insurance from them too?

Do you have auto insurance? Are you happy with that provider, and do they also offer homeowners' insurance? There's usually a price break if you have both from the same agent or company.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you have auto insurance? Are you happy with that provider, and do they also offer homeowners' insurance? There's usually a price break if you have both from the same agent or company.

I have a company car so I don't have insurance otherwise that would make it easy.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Unless they offer a discount because you have a mortgage with them, there's not really a benefit. You might as well shop around and see if anyone has a better deal.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Unless they offer a discount because you have a mortgage with them, there's not really a benefit. You might as well shop around and see if anyone has a better deal.

I'm getting another quote and will pick the cheapest one. I just want to know if there is any pitfalls to using them.

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm getting another quote and will pick the cheapest one. I just want to know if there is any pitfalls to using them.

There is a small part of this missing, specifically, if WF is self insuring this/internal subsidiary or they are just selling your info to a 3rd party to underwrite the policy.

However, on balance, the answer for me is emphatically no. There is a implied conflict of interest when your bank controls your insurance. In the event of a loss you will have to deal with the bank cutting its losses on your loan, while minimizing their exposure via your policy. If they sell it third party, are you comfortable with the level of coverage/service you would be getting from a potentially unknown company with a direct tie to your note holder.

a better approach might be to reach out to your company HR/Benefits person. Sometimes employers are able to pass along a policy discount to employee's. You'd be suprised what gets buried in the back of the benefits book. Cell phone discounts, flower discounts, etc...

If nothing else, perhaps if you have a relationship with the HR or even the risk management person at your company who manages the corporate policies, they may be able to set you up with their contact, who can make a referal, who can hook you up. Its a smaller world than you think out there between corporate/personal policies.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There is a small part of this missing, specifically, if WF is self insuring this/internal subsidiary or they are just selling your info to a 3rd party to underwrite the policy.

However, on balance, the answer for me is emphatically no. There is a implied conflict of interest when your bank controls your insurance. In the event of a loss you will have to deal with the bank cutting its losses on your loan, while minimizing their exposure via your policy. If they sell it third party, are you comfortable with the level of coverage/service you would be getting from a potentially unknown company with a direct tie to your note holder.

a better approach might be to reach out to your company HR/Benefits person. Sometimes employers are able to pass along a policy discount to employee's. You'd be suprised what gets buried in the back of the benefits book. Cell phone discounts, flower discounts, etc...

If nothing else, perhaps if you have a relationship with the HR or even the risk management person at your company who manages the corporate policies, they may be able to set you up with their contact, who can make a referal, who can hook you up. Its a smaller world than you think out there between corporate/personal policies.

This is the kind of solid advice you can get on SF

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I hate how my homeowner's insurance provider sends me insane amounts of spam to get my car insured by them. Meanwhile I haven't owned a car in about 5 years.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When did wood go from wood species stained with a color, to just 'color' in the eyes of the masses (at least in 'merica)?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads