The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Starting to tape off everything to paint this weekend. Two bedrooms and a hallway. It will be the same lighter color but due to different lighting in all 3 areas (natural direct in one bedroom, can lights in hallway, and window with shade from a tree) I am expecting it to feel like 3 different colors. The current Honey Mustard that the previous owners decided to paint the whole house will almost be gone except for the bonus room and bathrooms which will be next.

So which is worse if you do it yourself, taping or painting?

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yeah, it is a weird thing though. Even at higher BTU's some units are more efficient than others. It costs me less now to run a 10k and and 14k in my bedroom and living room than two small 5k's in the past.

3. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Yeah, one of them is a big standalone unit (hose that vents out the window) because out first apartment had bars over the windows. It's pretty inefficient. Also I just realized that I should have deducted our normal power bill ($100), so it's really $200.

Going to have another unit this summer though now that we moved, so it'll be more expensive :( Good news is we haven't had to use them yet.

4. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

$300 power bills? I get upset when the power bill is more than $100. #smalltimer

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013

5. patrickBOOTH

Even worse is the gas bill in the winter...

6. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

Central air's definitely more efficient, especially the newer ones. They use numerical ratings ("SEER"), though I don't think it's linear (i.e., 18 seer's not twice as good as 9 seer), so you might research whether it's worth it to pay for a higher efficiency model.

FWIW if I was going to replace my air conditioners I'd get a high efficiency one for the upstairs and a cheaper one for downstairs. The upstairs unit does 90% of the work cooling the house since the temperature difference between inside and outside through the walls isn't significant (think 20 degrees) while the attic-to-house is more like 50 degrees; and the hot air from downstairs naturally rises upstairs.

7. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

I find a strange sense of enjoyment in these projects, but for most probably tape and dw compound. It's the most tedious part and has a large effect on the outcome of the project.

8. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Its New York... Power here is 4x what it cost me in college. It costs me as much to cool my 800 sq ft apartment in New York as it costs my parents to cool their 4000 sq ft home in North Carolina.

9. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

Closed on a house yesterday. :satisfied:

It doesn't seem to need much work being 5 years old.
    I'm watering some sod and attempting to fill a bunch of nail holes in the dry wall for the first time.

10. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Hardwood (oak) floor installation was completed on the entire first floor and they did an excellent job. We specified a very, dark brown finish with specifically no red or mahogany color. Came back to the house after two coats of stain and it has red highlights like a dark red mahogany. Of course we were very disappointed. Flooring guy was a real pro. Said, "I know this isn't what you wanted. Let me try a stain on top and if that doesn't work we will sand it down and start over".

As totally frustrating as this is, no one is blaming anyone and he is trying to make it right. Glad that we have someone like this. If they can't fix the color and they do resand it, I'm tempted to just go safe and go with natural. As much as I think natural oak is boring, at least I will know what I'm getting. The dark satin would have made a very cool statement but I don't want to be disappointed again.

As an aside, the flooring guy has been doing this for 20+ years. He had quite a few stories of couples splitting up, living in separate houses due to frustrating remodels. It can test a relationship if you aren't in sync.

11. patrickBOOTH

At least he is trying to make it right. My place has natural oak floors and while I like the oak, I wish they were darker. My place isn't big so the lighter color keeps it more open feeling.

My father just got a floor to ceiling, whole wall bookcase installed around his 80" TV. He loves it and my mom hates the color. She told me in an email today and she is going to reveal this to him when he gets home from work. I suspect I am going to get a lot of angry texts from my father tonight about my mother.

In my father's defense, my mother is a royal pain in the ass and a nightmare customer. Nothing is ever to her satisfaction the first go around. My poor dad. :(

12. lefty

lefty Senior member

^^ They didn't test a dozen stains?

lefty

13. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Great that the guy is being so professional about it. Though yeah, I am surprised they didn't do some test areas with it before starting.

14. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Sorry to hear about that psg, hopefully he can fix it up.

15. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yes they did a number of test areas. We approved one. The color was a mix of two stains applied in two separate applications. They say something was different about the test and the final. They don't know what happened exactly but they will make it right.