The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Toasty, you need to move into an area with a good HOA.

2. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

So our closing is scheduled for July 17 assuming they will have the work done by then. I'm getting real excited about owning my own home finally. GF is desiging over drive and we having even moved in yet.

3. mike1445

mike1445 Senior member

I had no idea how enthused the would be about the remodel til we moved in and got started. I think she dreamt more about her first kitchen than she did about our wedding.

Going to be tough matching the exterior to the level of quality we got the interior, maybe not tough but expensive.

4. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Congratulations!

My advice is that if you have been living in an apartment to be sure and allocate money to get:

1) a brand new washer and dryer ASAP
    2) Basic gardening / yard tools - garage sales can be good for this
    3) Some chairs and a table ASAP to enjoy your deck or back yard this summer.

5. GusW

Remodel update...

Our floor guy couldn't get the brown we wanted after several attempts on oak floors. I can see now that he is an expert at installation but not at mixing colors. He offered to resand the entire downstairs and do whatever we wanted. We pulled a 180 and went natural. It wasn't our first choice but it was the best option and we are happy.

So far we are one full week over schedule and we have a week to go with the painters and cabinet guys arriving tomorrow at 7am.

Budget-wise still on track except for the wine captain (wine fridge). None of our 24" wide cabinets will work for various reasons ( they have a gas line behind them, they are in an essential location, etc) so we had to replace it with an 18" version. Quality wine refrigerators come in, POS, Good, Better and Best in 24" but in 18" they only offer them in POS or Best. I never thought I would be spending this much for one. However, of all the new appliances we are getting, it is the one we are the most excited about. An 18" one will hold 31 bottles and has three temperature zones.

In researching in cabinet wine refrigerators the cabinet guys tell me that they get calls to pull out the cheap ones all the time. They break easily and make a lot of noise. Something to consider if buying one. Of course, if it is going in a garage, then get a bargain one at Costco.

6. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

It's really easy to get excited about decorating your new home, so I entirely understand where she is coming from. However, I highly recommend restraint. Get your basics, but live in your space for a little bit and figure out what works. You will find yourself not using that piece of furniture you just had to have and wishing you did something differently. Take your time. Find stuff you love.

7. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Great advice. In our place the bonus room that was suppose to be the entertaining area is now partly storage and the "formal" area she wanted is confused. Since we already have furniture it seems like a waste after such a short time to try something new so we are making it work.

8. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

You are totally in the right. They should have given a heads up and made sure nothing fell on you side or at least make an attempt to mitigate any potential damage, mess, or inconvenience.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013

9. GusW

Remodel update..

Have painters, hardwood floor, cabinet and appliance people in and beginning work at 7am. A beehive of activity with all of them working around and on top of each other. It is fun to see the place transform so quickly.

Painting ceilings white over their formerly beige (Navajo White) color has really lighted up the house. I like the look. Our skylights "glow". That will be especially nice in the winter months. Our two long hallways seem so much more light and welcoming. The only downsides I can see so far to white ceilings are:

1) it took three coats to cover. However this is the first time they have been repainted since the home was built 15 years ago.
    2) White ceilings do show any slight imperfections in your drywall. i.e. taping seem shadows. They are subtle but if you are looking for them they are easier to see in white than in beige.

10. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Sounds like it's coming along nicely. White does show everything, and even more so the shiner and smoother the finish is. At some point it's best just to have the place skim-coated prior to painting.

11. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

So I'm just about done with those knee walls. With the floor sealed from the attic, it's only a few degrees warmer than the room. Then I put r-13 across the wall, stapled to the studs, over the r-19 to hold it against the sheetrock. It really helps. I was going to buy insulation netting but it turned out to cost very little more to just buy more insulation and staple it. Obviously stapling fiberglass to the studs reduces its insulating ability, but it works out well enough. Covering the 2x4 studs and holding the insulation against the wall probably doubled the overall r value of the walls. The room is a lot better and I haven't even gotten into the upper attic yet. I'm going to air seal it, put insulated/sealed boxes over the can lights and add r-30 over the ceiling insulation over the "hot" parts of the house. The other thing I have to do is install some vent channels to allow the knee wall attics to vent into the upper attic (at present they're actually hotter than the rest of the attic despite being lower).

The other big thing is balancing the duct dampers to divert more air to that room. I need to install a couple dampers in the ducts themselves instead of using the vents (which are loud when almost closed). This is actually really easy (remove the insulation, cut a long channel in the duct, jam in the damper, and tape over the hole). They look something like this:

[​IMG]

This isn't as fun as it sounds, though. Fiberglass is really itchy and attics are very hot this time of year.

12. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Can you make dark stained cabinets lighter?

13. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

You can paint them white. Otherwise it depends on how they're made and finished. Even if it can be done it's not easy or fun.

14. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

I was afraid of that. The house is very 70s inside but made exceptionally well. I suspect the cabinets are a good hard wood but have been stained dark since new in 1976. Here they are, ignore the terrible styling we haven't moved in yet so this is their stuff and decorating.

[​IMG]

Here is the view from the drive way. I'll have more pics when we actually move in. It's like a museum of 70s style inside and I want to document it for posterity.

[​IMG]

15. BrianVarick

BrianVarick Senior member

^I really like that style house. It's definitely a dark kitchen but it fits the house well.