• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The fine line between dressing like an old man and a sharp GQ/Esquire guy.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
Good post. I often chuckle when some hapless soulncomes to this forum with questions like 'should I tuck or not tuck?' or 'should I get centre or side vents (or no vents)?' or 'should I wear black shoes or brown with a blue suit?' or the dreaded 'which is better, Alden or AE?'.

The polarised responses must be so bewildering to a style noob that I wonder if any of them come away any the wiser or just even more confused.

It's one thing for a hapless n00b to post an innocent question that just happens to have been asked a million times. It's quite another for a perma-n00b like Reevolving to keep asking for advice or opinions, when clearly he does not want either. He is just looking for validation of his preconceived position, and when he doesn't receive it, he dismisses the feedback.

It's the same story every time -- whether it's this thread, his threads about cheap ties (and the other one about tie width), his threads about man-purses, his threads about inexpensive sunglasses, his thread about a gaudy belt, his threads about khakis, and so on. A quick search shows that the man has started 82 threads, and I think it's a safe bet that at least 75% of them follow the same script.

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Bowler was at an awfully good price ($40 new) and is well constructed. Personally I am not so sure about it as contemporary fashion beyond the very nice response I am getting from women. I've also noticed people staring at me in restaurant windows and I wonder... am I the next Bat Masterson? ETA... Maybe I should open carry pearl handled pistols? This fall the Stormy Kromer is getting a lot of play and positive response despite its "Elmer Fudd" look. But it's more of an Upper Midwest thing. http://www.stormykromer.com/mens/caps

Pennyfeather

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoMediaMan-27
Men in the high 30's or low 40's don't look good in skinny jeans...

Is this because they need to dress differently than younger men so that younger men can rest easy in the knowledge that they are not dressing like older men?

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennyfeather
Is this because they need to dress differently than younger men so that younger men can rest easy in the knowledge that they are not dressing like older men?

LOL, nice.

In all seriousness, though, it's probably because a lot of men in their late 30s and early 40s are just starting to lose their youthful shape, but are not yet so far gone that they realize it. They're out of shape and unaware. Hence, they wear clothes they really shouldn't: clothes that might have looked good 20 pounds ago, but which are no longer flattering for sundry reasons.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennyfeather

This just blew my mind. Note to self: stop 'shrooming at work.

Tibor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
This just blew my mind. Note to self: stop 'shrooming at work.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Tibor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
You missed my point. I asked him to get your thoughts on a bowler because as a young guy who dons hats, you are going to provide a different perspective. I personally don't think you dress like an old man. Just anachronistic, particularly for San Diego, which I frequent often. Nothing wrong with dressing the way you do, as long as you're comfortable with it I suppose.

Yes, I understand now. Well, I suppose the "dressing like an old man" comment generally has more to do with dressing ultra conservative(in the modern collective perspective), and possible very stodgy, with a lack of (perceived) imagination. I think part of dressing like a young man is: having an "aesthetically stylish youthful virility." It can be anachronistic, current, or progressive, as long as it has this characteristic. This can be achieved with or without a hat, depending on the hat, depending on the collective prespective and culture of wearing hats, and of course how you wear a hat.

citizenshame

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Handmadeshoes
I did not say 'ALL,' I said 'MANY.' And I stand by that statement. I read a lot on here and while yes, there is some good advice, there is also a lot of very bad advice from regulars on here. Not trying to offend, just stating my opinion for the young guy looking for good advice. If one is not sure of what to do, it's hard to sift through all of the answers one might get from starting a thread. Go back and re-read all of the answers in this thread and if you think he could clearly get an idea of what to do, then you must be a magician. It's easy for people to tell him their opinions and him get bombarded by different ideas, it's easier to just go to a style blog that has it all laid out in pictures.

Of course there isn't an "answer" as to what the OP should wear, and I think that's actually a point that has been emphasized by many posters so far in this thread. Style is not an algorythm, as the OP has suggested, nor does wearing "slim fit" mabitex garuantee that they will look slim fit on you. Style is about using a collection of rules and ideas governing fit, color, etc. in a way that is uniquely expressive and pleasing to the eye. There are certain results which members on this board will almost universally disapprove of, but at the same time, there is no "correct" outcome.

The Shoe Snob

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
Good post. I often chuckle when some hapless soulncomes to this forum with questions like 'should I tuck or not tuck?' or 'should I get centre or side vents (or no vents)?' or 'should I wear black shoes or brown with a blue suit?' or the dreaded 'which is better, Alden or AE?'.

The polarised responses must be so bewildering to a style noob that I wonder if any of them come away any the wiser or just even more confused.

Too true Ianiceman, just read the AE vs. Alden thread, it's quite astounding how pointless that thread is on this forum, kind of like asking who's hotter, Megan Fox or Scarlett Johannson?

Tibor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For example, I personaly get called "GQ" all the time, but I seldom see a similar style to mine in GQ.

The Shoe Snob

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by citizenshame
Of course there isn't an "answer" as to what the OP should wear, and I think that's actually a point that has been emphasized by many posters so far in this thread. Style is not an algorythm, as the OP has suggested, nor does wearing "slim fit" mabitex garuantee that they will look slim fit on you. Style is about using a collection of rules and ideas governing fit, color, etc. in a way that is uniquely expressive and pleasing to the eye. There are certain results which members on this board will almost universally disapprove of, but at the same time, there is no "correct" outcome.

What does that have to do with what I said?? It's like you are trying to teach me about style?? I was simply telling this poor confused soul to go to a site that explains to a "T" how a young guy can dress stylish and not look old! Everyone else was saying 'do this,' 'do that!' How can anyone (who seems to be clueless) gain any insight from a bunch of different people telling him/her a bunch of different things? Obviously there is not a right or wrong answer, there are always just opinions. There are no facts when it comes to style. I have seen people wear things that I would normally disapprove of yet they pulled it off wonderfully. Style, really, is all about attitude and having the confidence to be comfortable and secure in what you are wearing.

Tibor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by citizenshame
I agree. Style should have aesthetical rules and ideas fused with self-expression, passion, and self confidence: something that has to be personally cultivated and moulded. Although, if the shoulders were softer padded and more angular, and the tie was a bit more narrow, with more waist suppression, I would not not be surprised if she no longer percieved you as dressing like an old man.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads