• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The fine line between dressing like an old man and a sharp GQ/Esquire guy.

citizenshame

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghostbusters101
It's true though, your style is bad and you dress like an old man.

cosigned. you look really old in those clothes.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's pretty clear to me. You need to make your way to the nearest tailor and pay him overtime. But really, the reason you looked like an "old man" is because your clothes are full and fit you like old mens clothes.

EriQ009

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tmcevoy213
I think I have the same model of Mabitex as in one of the OP's pics. I didn't find them very slim-fitting; they are actually the roomiest pants I own. I'm thinking about taking them to a tailor. Still, I think they are less baggy on me. This is what I wore today, incl Mabitex, sans old-man. I think! Sorry for the crappy iPhone photo.

Untitled.png

The waist of your pants aren't visible, but from what I can see, it's pretty apparent that they look better than OP's pants.

OP is in denial, but everyone keeps emphasizing fit, and this only highlights that.

HPress

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EriQ009
The waist of your pants aren't visible, but from what I can see, it's pretty apparent that they look better than OP's pants.

OP is in denial, but everyone keeps emphasizing fit, and this only highlights that.

I think tmcevoy213's photo is very instructive. Even though he clearly breaks certain fashion "rules" he has style and looks good. Totally opposite of the OP.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving

Yes, the waist is exactly 1 inch too large, but the pants are not even close to "baggy as ****".

WTF are you talking about. you are not even wearing pants that fit and wondering why they look baggy? No wonder, you are cinching them like mom jeans.
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
This thread smells like old man.

Iodine and Vicks Vaporub.

This thread has had an AARP card for ten years.

This thread? Dines for 10% off at 4PM.

- B

You had me at Vaporub, - B
inlove.gif

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving

Jacket:
Agreed, this Canali is not flattering at all, in any way.
To me, it looks even worse when buttoned.
I will need to figure out what parameters to work with on my next jacket. (You need to say more than "make it slim", esp. with an old tailor)
I have not spent time developing knowledge about jacket fit ...as I have on pants and shirt fit.
My belly button is 1cm below the top button. Where should it be?
As you know, recognizing something that looks good (Like the Zara suit above) vs. knowing how to specify how to get that look are very very different concepts.
I also think a jacket makes you look shorter, as there is much more grey "leg line" without the jacket.
Thanks again to those who have offered accurate & constructive advice.

RE, you need to go for a more athletic cut in the jacket. the canali is cut like a box (notice the too-wide shoulders, sleeve pitch that's almost vertical, masses of excess cloth in the body). you just need a completely different cut.

as for the shirt: you say you can't go any trimmer without it feeling tight. keep in mind that it may be too tight in parts and too loose in others. from your pics it looks as though you could really benefit from adding darts to control the spillover at your waist.

finally, keep in mind that your body takes time to adjust to feeling comfortable in a real slim fit. what feels alien now will feel natural a couple of weeks out. you have to de-program yourself.

Frihed89

Reaction score
Blue 2-button suit, straight pants, center vent + white shirt, single stripe tie + oxfords. Never deviate in your casual attire.

The costume you describe is more appropraite for a 1970s Italian parody film.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TC (Houston)
Wow how did I miss this one?! LOL

I don't know, TC, but you are being classified as an old man!!!
lol8[1].gif

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a brown bowler on Saturday and upon wearing it out of the store got four compliments from random individuals on it on the way back to the apartment.

I think I have crossed some line... not sure which one... please let me know if I am an old man or a young buck.

PS I also bought brown/mustard spectator shoes, a cummerbund and two ties from the early 1970s..

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master Squirrel
I bought a brown bowler on Saturday and upon wearing it out of the store got four compliments from random individuals on it on the way back to the apartment.

I think I have crossed some line... not sure which one... please let me know if I am an old man or a young buck.

You can either ask Tibor or PT Williams.

The Shoe Snob

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I love how almost every post gets so far off-scale that it just becomes casual conversation about nothing. You guys are all funny!!

To the OP: if you want to emulate someone with style that is close to your age, read 'The Style Blogger' who won Esquire's Best Dressed Real Man a couple of years ago. He actually knows how to dress. Be careful who you take advice from on here because many of them are old men who only wear black shoes with navy suits and think that anything else is uncivilized, AKA they are dinosaurs when it comes to style. And when it comes to wearing ties, it can be done casually if done right. But wearing one to a casual sports bar is almost never okay. Good luck!

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Handmadeshoes
Be careful who you take advice from on here because many of them are old men who only wear black shoes with navy suits and think that anything else is uncivilized, AKA they are dinosaurs when it comes to style.

My dear fellow - where did you get this idea? Mayhap you should study here a bit longer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads