1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The fine line between dressing like an old man and a sharp GQ/Esquire guy.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Reevolving, Oct 13, 2010.

1. amplifiedheat

amplifiedheat Senior member

let's call it sprezzatura
    Could we not?

2. HPress

HPress Senior member

[​IMG]

^^ Is that OP behind the rubbish cans?

[​IMG]

- B

Couldn't resist bumping the thread just in case anyone missed this. [​IMG]

3. Tuco

Tuco Well-Known Member

Reevolving is probably in better shape than 80% of the population and 90% of SF members. I like to go for a slimmer fitting shirt, usually untucked, jeans and an inexpensive boot, like these below. Sportsbar attire for an entire outfit can look sharp easily for 2-3 hundred bucks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

Sportsbar attire for an entire outfit can look sharp easily for 2-3 hundred bucks.

If Gucci, well below that.

- B

5. HPress

HPress Senior member

If Gucci, well below that.

- B

[​IMG]

6. Newlaw

Newlaw Senior member

Reevolving is probably in better shape than 80% of the population and 90% of SF members. I like to go for a slimmer fitting shirt, usually untucked, jeans and an inexpensive boot, like these below. Sportsbar attire for an entire outfit can look sharp easily for 2-3 hundred bucks.

What are those boots?

7. Harrington

Harrington Well-Known Member

Dude the logo is right there. Like, on the boot. Why the hell you'd buy Penguins when Clarks DB are cheap as dirt, that's the real question.

8. Tuco

Tuco Well-Known Member

Dude the logo is right there. Like, on the boot.

Why the hell you'd buy Penguins when Clarks DB are cheap as dirt, that's the real question.

Chicks love these Penguins and they're frequently on sale at around $80. Clarks are fine but most girls I know seem to think the design of the Clarks is a little boring, or "older," and the objective was to avoid the old man look but look good in a casual sportsbar.

9. Avocat

Avocat Senior member

I agree with a lot of what has already been said here (boy, some of you guys really cut to it, don't you? CRUEL ... but yeah, I know, the OP asked, so ....

Main thing, apart from tailoring/fit, etc. which is just so darn important that it simply cannot be overstated is, as has also been said but does bear repeating, to dress for the occasion; in a sports bar, there's nothing wrong with wearing a sports jacket but you need to mix it up with casual pieces, like a pair of slim fitting jeans with shoes and a colored shirt. If the slim fit isn't your thing or you don't have the physique for it, then go for a nice pair of Japanese denim, or even boot cut, and maybe mix it up with a pair of chelsea boots or something else, like a chukka or brogue boot. Just so happens that classic is once again cool and GQish, then, classic never goes out of style, I agree, just learn to mix it up with casual elements, like designing a room, adding visually interesting elements through a mixture of fabric, pieces and color. Alternatively, if uncomfortable in jeans, no reason you can't keep the pants (seem a bit high on your waist, though might just be the photo) in which case, de-formalize / casual it up a bit with a nice cashmere sweater, long-sleeved tee, etc. (urban chic casual need not be denim and a t-shirt), and pair that with your leather jacket. The point here being to mix it up and let your wardrobe be not only an expression of yourself, but an expression of yourself in the environment in which you find yourself so that you can let lose and have fun and emphasize thus your personality, as opposed to fussing too much about how you look. That's the whole point of casual, but indeed, "smart casual" isn't as easy as it may at first blush seem, a lot of thought goes into it, but once you get the hang of it, not losing your style but, rather, merely adjusting it to the environs instead (as you would a wedding, work, black tie, etc. so you should do for a bar, etc.), you'll find that your personal style shines through, and that's what in turn matters. And one who is constantly open to learning/sharing of ideas, cognizant of their surroundings (and need to adjust to same, not change, just modify so as to suit the ocassion thus ensuring their ideas etc are heard) is not and cannot grow old, regardless of one's physical age. And wearing dark colors at a bar to fit the conservative profile just also happens to be "hip" at the bar, so nothing wrong with that either.

Just my .02 cents, and hope this helps. Otherwise, you look fine for the office ... just loosen it up a bit and you'll be fine.

10. JPHardy

JPHardy Senior member

[​IMG]

There's nothing wrong with baggy pants.

Imagine trying to do this in eyetalian nut huggers. The results would be embarrassing.

[​IMG][​IMG]

I think this should solve the problem. Look at how young JCVD looks.

[​IMG]

11. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

[​IMG]

And people say white guys can't dance...

12. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

I think this should solve the problem. Look at how young JCVD looks.

[​IMG]

He is the poster boy for the " Say no to drugs campaign"..

13. minusinc

minusinc Well-Known Member

Hi

My name is John, co-founder of http://Min.us
    Just thought I'd drop by and say hi as I saw traffic coming from styleforum in this thread.

Thanks for using Min.us to share photos!

14. young Ego

young Ego Senior member

[​IMG]

Hi Mr. co-founder John, think you can beat those dance moves? Well, can ya??

15. Dewey

Dewey Senior member

^ I could totally wear a wrestling singlet to the casual sports bar. Good idea, thanks for posting

16. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

No matter what I wear, I always look like an old man, but then...[​IMG]

17. minusinc

minusinc Well-Known Member

Hi Mr. co-founder John, think you can beat those dance moves? Well, can ya??

Of course :p

18. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

Quick fix:

Never wear dress pants to a casual bar unless you're over 45 and have given up on yourself. Wear high-end, dark indigo jeans (I've had good luck with Diesel and Burberry) and a slim fit shirt. Your shirt is bunching at the waist and there's no fun pattern. Try Thomas Pink to jazz things up. They have slim fit which would be good for you. Finally, if you insist on wearing a blazer, make sure it is properly tailored. I'd recommend getting a more modern, sleek blazer. Gucci has some really fashionable ones, although they're expensive. If that's not an option I'd recommend a light jacket that you take off and then show your physique with your shirt instead.

19. Avocat

Avocat Senior member

^ Gucci? You must have missed the label comment back on page whatever; hint: if YOU can afford that, then get bespoke! (stay with us, grasshopper -- you have much to learn [​IMG] If the OP is still around, I repeat: yes, fit is everything, but just loosen up/mix it up, and you'll be fine -- really [​IMG]