• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Film thread

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Jake Gyllenhaal reteams with his PRISONERS director, Academy Award Nominee Denis Villeneuve, in this sexy and hypnotically surreal psychological thriller that breathes new life into the doppleganger tradition. Adam Bell is a glum, disheveled history professor who seems uninterested even in his beautiful girlfriend, Mary (Melanie Laurent). Watching a movie on the recommendation of a colleague, Adam spots his double, a bit-part actor named Anthony Clair, and decides to track him down. The identical men meet and their lives become bizarrely and irrevocably intertwined.

I caught this one the other night and really enjoyed it -- pretty divisive, but an adaptation of Saramago's semi-recent novel -- dark, well-acted, somewhat silly, somewhat perplexing, an hour and thirty minutes of your time.

(If it matters, if you found Prisoners a somewhat abhorrent apologia for violence or vigilantism, here, there's none of that philosophical unease, just some pleasant ambiguities ... )

the ending.... oh shiiiitttttttttttt

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone seen Joe? Worth watching? Under the Skin? What should I spend my weekly theater visit on? Can't decide.

Watched Mistaken for Strangers, the National documentary. It was sappy and cheesy, a fun watch if you're a fan of the band. Reminiscent of those really bad rockumentaries, but it's hard to discern its earnestness and irony at times.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited:

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Started watching Joe the other day but fell asleep 20 min in. Pretty good from what I've seen of it though, if you like David Gordon Green... (trademark languid pacing and Tim Orr's great photography). I still need to finish Prince Avalanche too...

momentoftruth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Under The Skin is awesome and weird, go see that. I'm not really a ScarJo fan but she did good work here

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still remember watching George Washington a long time ago and being mesmerized by it. Not exactly one of his best, but my first exposure to DGG. Kinda crazy that the dude who did Pineapple Express did stuff like GW, Prince Avalanche, etc.

Oh, I also watched The Wind Rises a while back and of course, it's awesome. Not quite as "fantastic" as other Miyazaki films but it's really touching and a great watch. It surprised me quite a bit at how well-grounded it was, reminded me a lot of Grave of the Fireflies without being overly melancholic or dramatic.

Donut

Reaction score
Anybody else prefer Kurosawa's "modern" films better than his samurai flicks? I absolutely love High and Low and Stray Dog

Lionheart Biker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you watched "Rashomon"? I think that was one of my first introductions into his work and I become entranced from then on.

Donut

Reaction score
^Yeah I've seen most of his movies. Don't get me wrong I absolutely love most of them but I keep going back to his detective/police procedural flicks.

seeldoger47

Reaction score
Anybody else prefer Kurosawa's "modern" films better than his samurai flicks? I absolutely love High and Low and Stray Dog

Ikiru is my most favorite Kurosawa movies. But those two you mention are both fantastic as well.

momentoftruth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I do, but still his samurai stuff is great too. Among his early work I highly recommend Sanshiro pt 1 (available on Criterion/Hulu)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads