• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Film thread

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You don't even like "La Strada"? I agree with you on all of his other films.

I don't like any of Gus Van Sant's films. I can't stand Aronofosky, nor even be bothered how to spell his name.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

i really enjoyed it, not because of any novelty (or lack thereof; multi-timeline story blah blah something the watchowsky brothers overcomplicated and butchered recently with cloud atlas) nor its predictability nor the cliched message, but because it was visually stunning and the fact that it used microorganisms to create the special effects rather than cheaply producing a billion things with cgi
i'm not saying it wasn't good, it just seemed all too familiar. Majid Majidi has made 3 good (but also similar) ones: children of heaven, color of paradise, song of sparrows.
bab'aziz, but written/directed by a tunisian (his other ones in the trilogy were too slow), raffi pitts' zemestan, half-moon, turtles can fly, a time for drunken horses, and if you really want frustration, about elly.

Raffi wears Paul Harnden :)

dan138zig

Reaction score

I don't like any of Gus Van Sant's films. I can't stand Aronofosky, nor even be bothered how to spell his name.

nope. virtually nothing in his films resonate with me. maybe i should do some rewatch when i'm older.

Last edited:

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ernest and Celestine...saw the English dubbed version with Forrest Whittaker voicing the bear. Enjoyable as expected. [VIDEO][/VIDEO]
I watched the French version a long time ago and it's a looooooot better. It's hard to really put into words, but the english dub doesn't have a lot of the je nai se quoi you get when you're watching a film from a different culture/language than your own. Highly recommend the French version. Also check out A Town Called Panic if you enjoyed E&S. By the same animation studio and it's fun flick

Last edited:

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A Town Called Panic is great. Can't help but feel that a big chunk of the comedic effect is sadly lost on a non-French speaking audience that won't enjoy the hilarious thick Walloon accent of the characters. Glad to know it still works despite that.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Our little neighborhood crew of kids (and parents) watched TCP probably a dozen times the last two summers. Hands down favorite of everyone. I thought this was much more like Triplets of Bellvile...and while I respect the integrety of the original language version this is what happened to be at the theatre and admittedly I welcomed the break of someone doing the work for me.

momentoftruth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I watched the French version a long time ago and it's a looooooot better. It's hard to really put into words, but the english dub doesn't have a lot of the je nai se quoi you get when you're watching a film from a different culture/language than your own. Highly recommend the French version.

Also check out A Town Called Panic if you enjoyed E&S. By the same animation studio and it's fun flick

I usually hate dubs (and I'm French) but I saw E&S this weekend in English and thought it worked v well. Now English-language version of Miyazaki flicks, on the other hand...

seeldoger47

Reaction score
nope. virtually nothing in his films resonate with me. maybe i should do some rewatch when i'm older.

8½ might be my most favorite movie - I've seen it 26 times. Amarcord is, to me, really wonderful as well. I really enjoy most of his work, although I do prefer his movies when he finally broke with the neorealists.

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Come on, dude. The Wrestler? You gotta like that (at least I do, a lot. My life from elementary school thru middle school on Thursdays and Mondays pretty much revolved around pro wrestling), and he made Mickey Rourke seem like a person instead of a slab of rock?? That's impressive on at least some levels. Black Swan is good too, though is more polarizing I think.

A Town Called Panic is great. Can't help but feel that a big chunk of the comedic effect is sadly lost on a non-French speaking audience that won't enjoy the hilarious thick Walloon accent of the characters. Glad to know it still works despite that.

I always find myself really asking what subtle stuff I'm missing while I'm watching foreign films, and it makes me really want to understand it. Considering there is plenty of english stuff that I miss myself, I can only imagine the ridiculous amount of things that are Lost in Translation. There's a mystique to it though, not really knowing the "whole" picture, that makes it still enjoyable. When I watch Viet films (unfortunately not too many quality ones out there) it's quite a trip.

Though I also always wonder what stuff people miss in English films. Like what tiny things that really give away character origins or stereotypes like accents, dress, etc. One example that always happens is in a lot of Japanese animated comedies, if there's an American character in the film, the dude always has the deepest, hill-billy redneck beer-gut marlboro southern accent dubbed over. When I watch it's awesome, but I wonder how much of Japan can pick it up ?

Last edited:

Donut

Reaction score

When I watch Viet films (unfortunately not too many quality ones out there) it's quite a trip.

Any recs that arent Tran Anh Hung? My viet is pretty good but I still miss a lot of what people say when it's the northern dialect.

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Wrestler was interesting in some ways, but the cliche of missing his daughter's birthday destroys the film in my opinion. I liked pro wrestling when I was a little kid, too, and I've got some time for Mickey Rourke in general. I liked how he used the song "Balls to the wall" by Accept in it!

Does anyone else totally hate what Tarantino has become (but likes his stuff like Jackie Brown and, to a lesser extent, Pulp Fiction)?

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any recs that arent Tran Anh Hung? My viet is pretty good but I still miss a lot of what people say when it's the northern dialect.

Check out Cú và chim se sẻ (2007) - Stephane Gauger, Ba Mùa (1999) - Tony Bua, and of course Vượt Sóng (2006) - Ham Tran. If you only end up watching one, watch Vượt Sóng first. There's not much in directors, really, in Vietnamese cinema, more single but notable and enjoyable films. Most of it deals with capitalism/communism, war/post-war Vietnam, and immigrant life, etc. Speaking of Tran Anh Hung, I really wish Norwegian Wood was better than it was.

The Wrestler was interesting in some ways, but the cliche of missing his daughter's birthday destroys the film in my opinion. I liked pro wrestling when I was a little kid, too, and I've got some time for Mickey Rourke in general. I liked how he used the song "Balls to the wall" by Accept in it!

Does anyone else totally hate what Tarantino has become (but likes his stuff like Jackie Brown and, to a lesser extent, Pulp Fiction)?

Yeah, that particular part of the storyline was pretty cliche, but you know, that stuff happens irl, so it doesn't bother me that much. It's such a minor part of the movie though, that I think it's kind of goofy to let it ruin it for you! Underneath the cliches of the film is a really great story of acceptance and pride in your life's work that I really enjoyed.

I really did not enjoy Django Unchained as much as I would have liked (I hated, hated, hated the one Ricky Rozay song in it, totally knocked me out of the atmosphere which is what Tarantino does best with his music selection, and I disliked Jamie Foxx in it), but his other stuff is still really enjoyable to me. I liked Basterds a lot, and Kill Bill 1+2 are my favorites of his work. Jackie Brown was good, no doubt, but I don't find it to be as entertaining and often don't find myself re-watching it ever. I feel like he's got a good niche now, whereas in his earlier stuff he was just starting to explore and dabble around it. Still, lots of old Tarantino fans hate his new work and only praise Jackie and Pulp Fiction, which I don't really think is fair. With his name, he has much more freedom to do crazier and crazier stuff, and I think that just takes a different mindset and approach to enjoy his movies these days. It's like, if you go in watching Fast and the Furious, don't expect a thrilling storyline or amazing acting, but appreciate it thru because it's Fast and the Furious, not by another set of standards, (re: Tarantino-- his work as an early director). There's still lots of old Tarantino in his new stuff, just a lot more polished.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads