1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Film thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by sipang, Oct 23, 2013.

1. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

I'd add these if you're looking for more:

Barry Lyndon
    Around the World in 80 Days (1956 version)
    The Lion in Winter
    20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1954 version with Kirk Douglas & James Mason)

Very different from the above, but if you appreciate Zhang Yhimou's direction and the cinematography that comes with it (Flying Daggers; Hero), he also remade the Coen Brothers' first film, Blood Simple, as "A Woman, A Gun, and a Noodle Shop," which is every bit as quirky and entertaining as its pedigree suggests.

1 person likes this.
  2. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

Cool. Also, Excalibur. So bad but so good.

3 people like this.
  3. GoldenTribe

Personally I unabashedly love Merlin with Sam Neill. It's also got Helena Bonham Carter, Miranda Richardson, Martin Short, Isabella Rossellini, Gielgud himself, Rutger Hauer, and the voice of James Earl Jones.

I don't know if it's properly available anywhere because it was a UK TV miniseries, but I still own the DVD I bought when I was a teenager. Sadly, it will probably never exist in HD or widescreen, but I recommend it for a lark if you can find it. Tonally it's somewhere between Excalibur and Ridley Scott's Legend, and it has one of my favourite film scores of all time, by Trevor Jones.

They also made a sequel, which is one of the worst low-budget monstrosities I have ever seen in my life.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  4. Synthese

Haha, I totally remember that! Oh, man. I wish there were more awesome fantasy movies. This Tolkien fiasco is really not doing it for me.

5. Synthese

And come on, the scene in excalibur with teh flowers blooming and O fortuna playing? you can't beat that.

2 people like this.
  6. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Fellini post 81/2 and Queen Margot immediately spring to mind.

Maybe Titus.

(Is Wes Anderson too obvious? He checks off all the boxes, though I sense it's not what you're looking for....)

7. Synthese

You're right, it's not; I have a sort of love-hate relationship with Wes Anderson, but to put it bluntly it's mostly hate and is just not my thing.

8. sipang

sipang Senior member

Excalibur is awesome. I think. I don't remember anything specific about it (but that psycho kid in golden armor laughing) but iirc it had a particular weird (and quite fitting) atmosphere that you don't find in other movies on the subject. Barry Lyndon for sure, and a key influence on The Duellists. Not on the same level but Mann's The Last of the Mohicans also has that painterly quality. But if we're only talking about truly incredible cinematography, insane set designs and attention to details and more generally movies almost collasping under their own excessive ambition, let me plug Heaven's Gate

1 person likes this.
  9. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Goddammit, man, what does this even mean? Have you seen Rushmore? Have you seen Tenenbaums? I think I need to sit down; I feel suddenly faint....

(Lars von Trier has a bunch that would qualify, but maybe not all in the same movie, I dunno.)

10. Synthese

Well, yes, I have! I don't know. I guess it's like - I can respect what he's doing, but I just don't love it the way everyone else seems to? People have been asking me this question for years now, and I never know what to say.

11. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

I kid you, but the man holds a special place in my heart. (I realize this is somewhat common). Anyway, someone remind me to post Anderson's short story I found not too long ago in an old UT student journal in the bargain bin at Half-Price books. It's brief, terrible, Anderson-y, and its protagonist is Max Fischer.

12. seeldoger47

seeldoger47 Senior member

This.
    And this. Those are two of my most favorite films of all time.
    Have you seen Moonrise Kingdom. One of the most enjoyable experiences I had (while watching an American movie) at the theater in a long time.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  13. Naka

Naka Senior member

Probably one of my favourite films of all time. Try to grab a copy with the interview with Ridley Scott about the making of, he's hilarious.

14. robinsongreen68

robinsongreen68 Senior member

@Synthese last year at marienbad? incredible film, but delphine seyrig's outfits alone would make it worth watching

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
    2 people like this.
  15. hennree

hennree Senior member

On the Wes Anderson subject; I watched The Grand Budapest Hotel recently. Thought it was great. :nodding:

16. GoldenTribe

@Synthese, three more recs for you:

The Scarlet Empress (1934)

The Last Emperor (1987)

The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex (1939)
    - I just watched this tonight for the first time; Bette Davis and Errol Flynn (backed up by the likes of Olivia de Havilland, Vincent Price, and Alan Hale) do full justice to some of the best dialogue I know of, on the same level as Mamet's Glengarry Glen Ross and Faulkner's The Big Sleep. I don't know why it took me so long to get around to it, because I've been a fan of WB's/Curtiz's Flynn-Havilland movies since I was a kid (especially The Adventures of Robin Hood and The Sea Hawk), but I was blown away.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  17. Lionheart Biker

Lionheart Biker Senior member

Just came from watching Linklater´s "Boyhood". I left the theater with even more love and respect for his work, and I´ve been his fan for a while. Truly amazing what he achieved and particularly how it´s shot. It all feels so intimate, you are experiencing everything with them, specially your typical linklater "awkward moments". It´s seems so raw at times, but the performances never waver. It´s a long movie, more that 2.5 hours I reckon, yet it´s totally worth it and it keeps you involved all the time.

18. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

The Cook, the Thief, His Wife and Her Lover
    [​IMG]

Moon in the gutter
    [​IMG]

Farinelli
    [​IMG]

The color of pomegranates
    [​IMG]

Farewell my concubine
    [​IMG]

Inland (in a different way)
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
    6 people like this.
  19. seeldoger47

seeldoger47 Senior member

The color of pomogranates and Farewell my concubine are amazing.

20. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

@Synthese

The Fall, definitely definitely definitely. I think its cheesy sentimentality can be right up your alley, but nowhere near as affected as Anderson

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Nolan's The Prestige, maybe? Takes itself a bit seriously (it's Nolan) but nonetheless very enjoyable

[​IMG]

Every october I find myself watching stuff like Brotherhood of the Wolf, too. How about Interview with a Vampire? It worms its way into a repeated viewing a lot, even though I know it's not the best

[​IMG]

2 people like this.