• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The DSLR Discussion Threak (formerly Nikon D7000)

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Thanks- likely the smart choice... though I am interested in full-frame...
D7000 isn't a full frame. Entry level full frame is about twice the price of a D7000, because you need to add a $1000 lens to an already $2000 body.
If you are really new to photography and never used a SLR before, I would advise you to go for a D3100: low light performance is good (clean 1600 iso), autofocus is 9 sensors, 16Mpix. Or go for the D7000 which is even better (functionnality, ergonomy, but picture quality ought to be the same) and really has no competition on that market segment right now.
luc

theguy

Reaction score
If your thinking about spending under $1000 I would have to say do not get the d3100, the pentax k-r is a much better camera in pretty much everyway. Right now they have the k-r for $865 on amazon with the 18-55 and 55-300 lens. Go to dpreview .com and look around.If you decide to spend a little more give the k-5 a serious look.(Its rated better then some full frames) I know overall im saying pentax, but right now I feel like they have some great cams out and are overlooked by the average person looking at cameras. Also, have you looked into four third cameras like the olympus epl1? I had one for a vacation and thought the output was amazing in a smaller package.
Also megapixels dont really make much of a difference.

rolling green

Reaction score
man, I was going to pull the trigger on a d3100 this weekend and your post doesn't help......before I dive in why do you like the pentax more? I thought the Nikon was superior in most categories like resolution pic/video, higher display resolution, HDMI......also what kind of battery does the pentax use (AA)? Any help appreciated!!! I'm a beginner myself currently using the olympus e-p1.

theguy

Reaction score
The k-r has
Bigger and better viewfinder
sharper LCD 910.000 pixels vs nikons 230,000 pixel
6fps vs 3fps
better AF system with 9 crosspoints vs 1
higher top ISO 25600vs12800
HDR output
AA or Lit Ion battery
custom noise reduction profiles
AF fine adjustments
Better dynamic range 12.4 vs 11.3
Better color depth (30% more colors)
smaller but a little heavier being built a little better
faster shutter speed
Built in image stabilization
Built in motor focus

The k-r you can really grow with

With the d3100 there aren't many benefits over the k-r aside from shooting in 1080p vs 720p, and the nikon neck strap is more stylish, and its Oprahs favorite camera so if your a fan you can have that in common.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks- I'll look at Pentax as well.

I have a pro friend who shoots Nikon and, while not a big deal, she may be of help (may also be a source for glass for learning and experimenting).

I've looked at the Panasonic 4/3's and the new one coming out with the touch screen is also interesting... but I'm kind of itching to move on to a DSLR.

The K-R certainly looks like the value leader of the two. And do I have this right? Nikon requires AF motors in the lens for many of theirs = more $$?

The K-R's ability to do exposure bracketing is a "nice to have" as I wouldn't mind experimenting with some simple HDR.
Still learning...

huy

Reaction score
Thanks- I'll look at Pentax as well.

I have a pro friend who shoots Nikon and, while not a big deal, she may be of help (may also be a source for glass for learning and experimenting).

I've looked at the Panasonic 4/3's and the new one coming out with the touch screen is also interesting... but I'm kind of itching to move on to a DSLR.

I would recommend sticking with Canon or Nikon. They have the largest user base and the largest lens selections. This makes it a whole lot easier if you want to buy and sell used gear and for help with any problems.

Have you looked at the d90? It is really a fantastic camera. The price is going down on it and you can pick it up for about $700 or right now. Some benefits over the d3100 are: top lcd, bracketing, better lcd, built in AF motor, pentaprism, dedicated iso/wb buttons.

Nikon requires AF motors in the lens for many of theirs = more $$?

The new lenses all have motors inside and will work on the d3100 just fine. You will not be able to AF on some of the older lenses but you can still manually focus them.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Huy-

I have taken a look at the D90... some say it may still be the best, if a bit dated, option?

HD video's not really an issue for me... mostly interested in the stills quality, especially in low light

theguy

Reaction score
I can't give you a hard time for getting the d90, its a very good option. D90 and the k-r are very close in everything except size.

huy

Reaction score
The d90 body only is selling for $680 at Calumet with code HOLIDAYSALE.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks- $879 with the 18-105mm

yes, D90 is also a great camera. I feel "at home" when I borrow a friend D90, it has anything a serious amateur need in terms of functionality and ergonomy.

!luc

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the Pentax K-x with the 18-55 kit. I had some old Pentax lenses that's one reason I got it. But, my older lenses aren't great with it. The digital autofocus lenses are much better even when using manual. I just got the pancake 40mm prime. It is outstanding. I will be getting the 55-300 soon. Canon has the best long range lenses, but they are huge cash b/c they are made for pros. 75% of pros use Canon. The rest use Nikon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads