• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm considering ordering a few shirts online from Australia. Either CT Tailored or TM Lewin Fully Fitted.

Just on sizing, I currently have two Brooks Brothers Extra Slim shirts. A 15.5/24 and a 16/34 (I'm a measured 16/34).

The 15.5/34 is slightly too snug in the neck and shoulders (I'd say I have a thick neck, wide-ish shoulders and a trim waist) but fits well around the midsection and waist.

The 16/34 is perfect in the neck and shoulders but a bit billowy around the midsection and waist.

Any comments on CT or TM Lewin collar sizes vs BB? And general sizing comments on the two? If they aren't too snug I could manage a 15.5 and would prefer the slimmer waist/midsection that would bring.

Also, are the black label CTs worth it over the regular stuff?

Thanks

dptucker

Reaction score
Finding shirts that fit is definitely an issue for me. I wear 17 neck, 32/33 sleeve, 40 chest, and 29 waist.

pred02

Reaction score
As a number of Jermyn Street tailors now do different slim-fit style shirts, I am wondering which one are the slimmest of the slim?

1. TM Lewin John Francomb Fully Fitted
2. TM Lewin Duke of York Slim fit
3. TM Lewin Windsor Slim fit
4. H&W St James Slim Fit
5. H&W Warwick Tailored Fit
6. Charles Tyrwhitt Semi-Fitted
7. Charles Tyrwhitt Slim Fit
8. Harvie and Hudson Slim Fit

Thanks!

uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lachyzee
Any comments on CT or TM Lewin collar sizes vs BB? And general sizing comments on the two? If they aren't too snug I could manage a 15.5 and would prefer the slimmer waist/midsection that would bring.

Also, are the black label CTs worth it over the regular stuff?

i'm curious about this also. I was measured to be a 15.5/34 slim in BB, but had to go 16/35 in a Thomas Pink shirt to get a comparable fit. i was told that CT slim shirts are similar to Pink slims, can anyone confirm?

DerrickFOreal

Reaction score
I am 5' 11", 145 lbs, 30" waist, 36" chest and I look best in a slim fitting shirt. These brands fit me best:

Shipley & Halmos
SPURR
Theory
APC
Band of Outsiders
Hugo Boss Slim Fit (black label, not red)

LOLHALO

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DerrickFOreal
I am 5' 11", 145 lbs, 30" waist, 36" chest and I look best in a slim fitting shirt. These brands fiit me best:

Shipley & Halmos
SPURR
Theory
APC
Band of Outsiders
Hugo Boss Slim Fit (black label, not red)

+1

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any of the makers of extra slim shirts do a proper formal shirt (black tie, not white)? I prefer bib to pleats and studs to covered placket, but can be flexible on either if need be. I'd like to spend under $200, ideally under $150. I've seen BB and Thomas Pink slim fits, but neither of them are that slim. How do TM Lewin and Charles Tyrwhitt fit by comparison? I also saw a Polo custom fit one, but was under the impression that PRL's custom fit dress shirts were no slimmer than BB's slim fit. Or any other suggestions?

Wish BB would do the extra slim as a formal shirt...

mockingbird

Reaction score
I have a few BB Slim shirts non iron 15" Neck 35" Sleeve. I really like them. But I am looking for a cheaper alternative. Any recommendations?

uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx

Reaction score
BB and mass-produced Jermyn shirts are the lowest acceptable brands on this forum. sorry
frown.gif

but we wont be mad if you find a random shirt which fabric you can tolerate, and get it taken to the tailor. we will be mad if you post it on here and expect us to congratulate you.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just found a shirt that fits me really well, OTR. The brand is Delsiena. Daffy's sometimes carrys them. Fabrics are okay, but supposedly made by hand, though obviously not hand stitched. The armholes a still a bit low for me, but overall it's quite good.

Reaction score
I have come full circle in my search for a slim fitting shirt. After trying shop after shop and trying to buy a size down etc. I realised that I was looking for something impossible...a shirt which was moulded to the exact contours of my body which would look the same however I moved. This stems from seeing too many ad campaigns in which you only ever see the best shot of a model from a whole day of shooting where someone has clearly pinned the shirt at the back. Now I am perfectly happy with the fit of most shirts which call themselves 'slim fit' and can get on with my life.

uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The White Carnation
I have come full circle in my search for a slim fitting shirt. After trying shop after shop and trying to buy a size down etc. I realised that I was looking for something impossible...a shirt which was moulded to the exact contours of my body which would look the same however I moved. This stems from seeing too many ad campaigns in which you only ever see the best shot of a model from a whole day of shooting where someone has clearly pinned the shirt at the back. Now I am perfectly happy with the fit of most shirts which call themselves 'slim fit' and can get on with my life.

you have yet to discover the wonders of tailoring. find a reputable one close to you, and don't be afraid to spend some money on your favorite shirts. your steeze will increase. immensely.

bengaltiger

Reaction score
Newbie here; I found my way through googling for "slim fit shirts" ad nauseum.

My measurements are: 44" chest, 36" waist; 16.5" neck.
I would like to get some slim fit shirts (hence I'm here). What sizes should I be looking for?

As a self-professed geek, I have never really paid much attention to my clothes (we live in
t-shirts usually), but I've been noticing that ladies really notice when I'm wearing my sole
slim-fit shirt (a shirt I picked up in Paris), so I'm thinking of getting more. Plus, being newly
single after a long time I need to re-do my attire a little.

I would prefer to shop locally in San Francisco. I usually wear jeans, so would prefer colors which
go well with jeans (yellow, light blue, black, etc.)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I am looking forward to learning from everyone here.

uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengaltiger
My measurements are: 44" chest, 36" waist; 16.5" neck. I would like to get some slim fit shirts (hence I'm here). What sizes should I be looking for? Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I am looking forward to learning from everyone here.
I'm not sure why you didn't at least go through the last 20 pages of the thread, but i'll throw you bone. newbs are recommended to go to a store (Brooks Brothers) and get sized by an associate there, because self measurement is a hard thing to do. once you get your neck and sleeve size straight, ask to try on one of their slim fit or extra slim fit shirts. compare which one you like better, and spend your hard earned cash. If you want to be baller, take purchased shirt and drop it off at the tailor and have them take in the sides for a perfect fit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads