1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by imageWIS, May 1, 2007.

1. superseiyan

superseiyan Active Member

See I'm having a challenge with tailored slim too.

Banana Republic is my goto brand because for off the rack, the size-price-quality nexus is the best on the market IMO. There's probably better shirts, there's cheaper shirts, but this is the best combination. I figured out the hack for their slim fits. Size DOWN. I'm 5"10", 180 (running back build) and their size SMALL slims fit perfect. Weird that someone my size is wearing a small in SLIM, but hey, it somehow works. In their monogram I wear Medium though.

Now this new tailored slim is a problem because it's thrown my sizing frame of reference off. In a medium, the chest is fine, but the waist/torso is tube tight. In this shirt I bulge and the buttons are opening there. If I sit down you can see the shirt buttons trying to unbutton themselves. The neck is fine though. Now in a LARGE, the neck is a little wide, the sleeves are slightly long and wide, but then the chest is also fine--fits the same as the medium (what the hell is that all about?), but then the waist is perfect. So I'm stuck in a situation between picking a perfect fit waist (with sleeves slightly long, and neck a little roomy--can comfortably fit the two fingers) vs. a perfect fit neck/sleeve.

Banana Republic sizing appears all over the place. How can I wear a small, medium AND large in shirts from the same company categorized as slim! Anyway, should one go with a tight snugger than usual waist/torso, or a slightly loose neck and long sleeve?

By the way, the easy solution would be to just by small in regular slim, but they're not carrying plain slim white or purple dress shirts right now. Just the tailored slim.

2. jbcohen

jbcohen Well-Known Member

My typical brand of shirt tends to be Arrow. What do you think of that brand? Perhaps I am misplaced in my brand loyalty?

3. TheGiftOfGab

TheGiftOfGab Member

4. HouseAtreides

HouseAtreides Member

I think I'll go this route - I have a couple of shirts which fit very well indeed, so getting them duplicated seems far easier (and cost effective!) than trying and returning shirts from 6 or 7 brands.

From what I've seen so far, the online MTM shirt makers seem to be:

Modern Tailor,
    My Tailor,
    Ratio.

Can anyone recommend which is the best? I will also look at a local tailor to duplicate for me.

Last edited: May 26, 2013
  5. HouseAtreides

HouseAtreides Member

At the risk of being terribly OCD, I would say an attached and master editable spreadsheet would vastly improve the thread.

Have rows for (actual body) neck size, then various chest, waist and sleeve measurements, then an SF member with that physique puts in the shirt brand he has found to be best.

It would make a very easy, definitive reference guide for others... Know you measure as a 16" neck, 42" chest and 33" waist? - look at the right column and row - and get the best brand for you.

I suggest a couple of trusted members volunteer to be master editors, to prevent trolling and crap data being put in. The spreadsheet could be updated ongoing, as brands change their sizes and cuts.

6. Coregoods

Coregoods Senior member

Guys,

I am having a few issues with some dress shirts.

I am 5'7" 185lbs (a little thick in the belly, but not really too fat) 34" waist, 40" chest 16.5" neck 33" sleeve.

I have found that a J crew regular Large is fine and the Slim Large is great. I have a few Gitman Vintage Larges and they are also my go to. A bit big, but not bad at all. All above shirts fit in the neck.

I need a few shirts that are going to fit my thick neck, but not blouse too much. Would the BB ESF work in a 16.5"? for the dress variety? How bout Ledbury? Kamakura? J press Slim?

Looking for a few options to try. GOing to start in OCBD but in a more fitted fit than M, L, etc.

Thanks

7. Bortelli

Bortelli Senior member

Hello everyone, I wanted to ask if there is a good OTR shirt that will fit similar to H&M's dress shirts in S size. I'm bound to OTR becuase I'm still saving up some money for MTM, but could use a shirt RIGHT NOW.

Any where in central jersey? Online?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  8. Ennius

Ennius Senior member

Jesselivermore,

At Pink prices I would suggest you try mtm or bespoke. In NYC CEGO does good stuff starting around 125. Also I have found Pink stuff doesnt last very well. Looks nice but not well made, in my opinion...

9. Hye Style

Hye Style Member

I just went the MTM route with mytailor and got the best fitting shirt I've ever bought. Too much of a hassle to go through so many OTR shirts and then go get it tailored..

10. Bortelli

Bortelli Senior member

Did you just use measurements based of you best fitting shirt, or did you take a leap of faith snd plugged in some numbers on the site? just curious :)

11. Bortelli

Bortelli Senior member

That's overpriced imo. Doesn't modern tailor ship to your country? They do the same thing for cheap

1 person likes this.
  12. table21

table21 Senior member

A question for the guys in this thread. What slim fit shirts come in a 15" with a 35 sleeve length? So far the only one that I am finding is Brooks bros extra slim (they are a bit snug in the shoulders for me but they still work the best out of what I have found)

13. Hye Style

Hye Style Member

I got measured by one of their tailors while they were in town.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  14. Midnight

Midnight Well-Known Member

Charles Tyrwhitt do a 15 and 35 in the Slim Fit. Thomas Pink do a 15 and 35.5, if that's close enough.

15. alloy13

alloy13 Well-Known Member

What is considered a comfortable allowance for slim fit shirts? Is it 1 or 2 inches from the actual chest or waist measurement? Do you use the same circumference allowance across the different parts of the shirt i.e. Neck, chest, arm, waist?

Of course this is subjective, but I want to hear SF opinions.

16. suited

suited Senior member

I ventured into a Barney's outlet and discovered what I'm quite sure is the best trim fit shirt I have ever tried under $100. Barney's house brand called "Piattelli." It might only be available at the outlet because I don't see it on their website. They come with no breast pocket, 2-button sleeves to accommodate large/small wrists, and a variety of collars are available. I preferred this spread collar, similar Borrelli. Sorry for the bad pic, this shirt is pink with fine white stripes.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  17. White Lotus

White Lotus Senior member

I prefer banana republic tailored slim the best.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  18. ftw90240

ftw90240 Senior member

I like Ledbury as well. I have several of their slim fit shirts. They are a bit pricey but pretty good. As I've posted previously I think Kamakura's Tokyo slim fits me the best and they are super cheap for the quality. Their only problem is very limited stock in my size. I ordered some Hugh & Crye that just came in and I'll give feedback on that this week. I also ordered 9 custom shirts from a HK tailor (New Century) that are coming in this week and I think they will be the best fitting of all based on the fitting I had a month ago with the mock up shirt.

19. jy6537

jy6537 New Member

I've tried various slim fit shirts and when they're not tucked in it feels great around the chest and waist (albeit its a bit long on the torso). However, once I tuck in the shirt starts to billow out around the waist and i end up with a lot of fabric in the back as well. I have a very short torso so could this be the culprit? For reference I am 5'9'' 175lbs (but my torso length is more comparable to one who is 5'5''-5'6''), 15.5 neck, 41 chest, and 32 waist. I recently purchased a tailored fit dress shirt from Banana republic and it is one of the better fitting ones but it still billows out at the waist.

Any recommendations? I was looking at TM Lewin's Fully Fitted or Charles Tyrwhitt extra slim fit. Which would you recommend for someone in my situation?