• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

duration

Reaction score
Originally Posted by duration
Ok, for what it's worth. Here's my take on slim fit shirts. I am 1.75m and 65-70 kg depending on the season, and am a size 15 - 15.5. I own a good representation of the shirts mentioned so far... and the slimmest shirts (without any alteration) IMO are:

RL custom fit, RLPL
+J
United Arrows
Muji

Generally, I find that the Japanese manufacturers fit me best OTR without alterations. So do give them a try if you are looking for something really slim.

Oh, and Rugby too. The quality leaves much to be desired though...

gospeedgo1

Reaction score
nordstrom trim fit, express fitted, and eton slim shirts are pretty slim. with eton being the slimmest, then nordstrom then express very close after. banana republic slim and calvin klein slim are comparable to a express modern fit (step before slim). nordstrom trim fit did seem to be slightly longer in length then other dress shirts listed. these shirts (nordstrom, express, and eton) did seem to keep the ideal 4-6" (2-3" if you pull to one side)of extra fabric in the chest and waist as suggested by some places online (well for my body type).
smile.gif
quality wise in order from higher quality to lesser quality in my opinion: eton- nordstrom- calvin klein/banana republic- express i am 6'1", 150 Ibs, 15.5" neck, 38" chest, 34.5" sleeve, 31" waist

davehfc

Reaction score
Eton shirts are always fantastic, they have that amazing style and look, but feel amazing on, the slim fit shirts from there range are slim and perfect for the slim man, they have the darts in the back and are also cut into the body to give a true slim fit shape, contemporary fit are darted in the back but do offer a moderate fit and they also have classic for those who like to have the freedom in a shirt.

http://www.leonardsilver.com/

Leonard Silver have a huge range of Eton along with Armani

BltByKrmn

Reaction score
I'm 6'1", 175lbs, 39" chest, 32" waist, 15.5" neck, 34" sleeve. Here's what I've tried and my take:

Brooks Brothers Extra Slim Fit - little tight in the shoulders, but not much extra material in the waist so it's the best fit I've found so far. Style/colors are really limited.

Ralph Lauren Custom Fit - almost perfect but still a little extra material in the waist.

Charles Tyrwhitt - massive around the waist and baggy sleeves but good quality and the sales are great

Charles Tyrwhitt Slim Fit - still baggy around the waist and sleeves, but can't beat quality for the sale price

Banana Republic Slim Fit - quality is decent, but the waist and sleeves are sill too baggy

Express - complete garbage

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those Brooks Brothers extra slim fit sound very intriguing. Too bad they only make button downs so far... I prefer point collars. I hope they expand their selection.

Wine Guy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chihawk
I just found out about this site. Hopefully will be able to get a lot of good info from here.

I'm about 6'4"/6'5" and 190 lbs and have not had much luck finding good fitting shirts in stores in the US. Most of my shirts that I buy in US are Large Tall from Banana Repuplic, but they are still too wide and bulky. I would probably really need a Medium Extra Tall if they had that.

The best shirts that I have that fit very well are from Sweden....the slim fit (darted) Bläck shirts in Large from the store MQ.

Does anyone have good recommendations for US stores that have slim fit shirts for tall people like me or do I have to go MTM to get something that would fit me?

Paul Fredrick at paulfredrick.com Amazing selection of shirts(including trim fit) with broad choices in collars, sleeve length and cuffs. They have a first time customer promo where you can get four shirts for $19.99

GloryField

Reaction score
why so much hate on express? Bad quality/can't be washed? The fit for me is perfect, picked up one on sale for $18, I just wear an undershirt underneath and if it gets dirty I'll try washing it. If the colors fades then w/e I'm out $18.

david432598

Reaction score
i have many express fitted shirts in small. i'd prefer the xs if it had bigger shoulders/arms

they're nice for a couple wears and they have a big selection of colors.

i just ordered some bb extra slim fit button down dress shirts, size 15 33.

i hope they fit ok. if not ill return.

imwithtuxedo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GloryField
why so much hate on express? Bad quality/can't be washed? The fit for me is perfect, picked up one on sale for $18, I just wear an undershirt underneath and if it gets dirty I'll try washing it. If the colors fades then w/e I'm out $18.

The shirts are great for occasional wear. But for regular wear they just don't last. The buttons break, the collars go to hell and the fabric starts to breakdown. I bought three Fitted 1MX shirts late last year and they are all garbage now. Spend the extra few dollars and get a better shirt, or MtM at moderntailor and the like if you are going to wear, launder, press them on a regular basis.

saimike

Reaction score
If you're in UK, Primark has some pretty fitting slim fit shirts.

They are about 4GBP and fit me like a T. The only down side is the fabric is definitely on the cheap side so darker color shirts might work out better. The stitching is no better than H&M or Old Navy.

InspectorGadget

Reaction score
to the few people with these specifics, how do black fleece shirts compare to mjk(or similar other fits who have work mjk) in terms of armholes?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads