• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The CHESS Thread

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
h6, ask the white light squared bishop whassup. It's nearly a trappped bishop. If he takes, you take back nd start marching up the h file with the rook protection, and possibly putting the queen on the g file, or the rook, if there is time to reroute it.

If he escapes Bf4 or Bh4, knock on his door with g5.

If he takes the knight with Bxf3, take back with BxF3 and now you have a joined bishop pair, and you can start marching the pawns.

It looks like he messed up his own development, playing D4, and responding to E5, which he is supposed to take or defend, by playing D5, then brought out his knight to defend his overextended pawn. Not sure exactly what happened, but it also looks like brought out his light colored bishop, and then panicked with the black E pawn went into the 4th rank, and played E3, which effectively stranded his bishop, which right now is defending nothing and only sees three 4 squares. May as well take advantage of the weaknsss on that side. He is going to lose a piece, one way of the other, and your pawn will be coming up the flank on an under developed side, with you firmly in control of both the G and H files.
I just realized that I messed up my one notation because I was looking at a rotated rather than flipped board. Really not used to looking at it flipped since I am only playing white training games right now. I'll change it later, but you understook what I meant, it seems.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cne5 - I don't understand this notation?

i mean nxe5 , black knight takes white pawn at e5 .

( sometimes it's necessary to articulate which knight is moving ( typically notate where it is coming from ) if they are both available but that's not the case here i just messed up .

I just realized that I messed up my one notation because I was looking at a rotated rather than flipped board. Really not used to looking at it flipped since I am only playing white training games right now. I'll change it later, but you understook what I meant, it seems.

yep i figured . i'm surprised you are sticking to white , are you still studying london system ?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

( sometimes it's necessary to articulate which knight is moving ( typically notate where it is coming from ) if they are both available but that's not the case here i just messed up .

yep i figured . i'm surprised you are sticking to white , are you still studying london system ?
Ruy Lopez. I like more space, and E5 openings. I am feeling like the London can get very cramped really easily. I will start black with Caro Kann or maybe the various something Indian defenses.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh, I considered this move, but thought that the trapped pawn was blocking a lot of white moves, and was unsure about opening up the position this way. But hey, what do I know (not much). I would need the analysis board to figure out why that is a good move. I just see that you lose a knight with no counterplay and a much more open position for white.

Last edited:

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh, I considered this move, but thought that the trapped pawn was blocking a lot of white moves, and was unsure about opening up the position this way. But hey, what do I know (not much). I would need the analysis board to figure out why that is a good move. I just see that you lose a knight with no counterplay and a much more open position for white.

the counter is to take the light squared bishop for the reasons that youve already pointed out ! the board winds up here

Screenshot 2023-06-16 3.30.35 PM.png

i'd found both of these moves but failed to see the line anyways lol .

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the counter is to take the light squared bishop for the reasons that youve already pointed out ! the board winds up here

View attachment 1975733

i'd found both of these moves but failed to see the line anyways lol .
True to form, I typically find the second best move... (Charlie Brown emoji)

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so i trashed my rapid score as 1 ) i'm retooling my game and 2 ) there are 2 wolves inside of me ... the upside is i just won 8 in a row and i suppose dealing with gimmicks is a not bad way to train

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the site metrics are so interesting ! a tale of two learners :

my puzzle progress , note drive-n-plateau ( with recessions ! )

Screenshot 2023-06-22 7.44.12 PM.png

my puzzle nemesis ( guess who ? ) , smooth n steady

Screenshot 2023-06-22 7.43.21 PM.png

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I stepped my 5 minute games up a bit, actually trying to win, most often he time. Floating around the low to mid 1200s. Currently 1259 with a goal to breech 1300

Credit to you dorks for the inspiration!

I noticed some changes in the analysis lately, way more "Great" moves. Also snagged my second Brilliant, which I can help but suspect has also been diluted. Was a tricky move, I can't find the screenshot, oh well.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh, really? I am dumb so still like my move better 😂
Maybe the attack is too obvious? Not really sure. You might think about using the analysis block and figuring out what are the best moves going both ways.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe the attack is too obvious? Not really sure. You might think about using the analysis block and figuring out what are the best moves going both ways.
Only thing I can think of is smoking the central pawn is considered more valuable to position than the minor material gain of dropping the rook/pawn for a bishop.

I think the attack I mentioned is also pretty disruptive to most opponents, also denies a castle ability. Figure out the center pawn later IMO.

I don't have the analysis capability, or have never tried it. Just the freebie analysis, not a subscriber.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only thing I can think of is smoking the central pawn is considered more valuable to position than the minor material gain of dropping the rook/pawn for a bishop.

I think the attack I mentioned is also pretty disruptive to most opponents, also denies a castle ability. Figure out the center pawn later IMO.

I don't have the analysis capability, or have never tried it. Just the freebie analysis, not a subscriber.
I pay for the platinum plan, which I find super helpful for my beginner ass. I thought that removing that central pawn was probably key as well, and also, You can move your queen up to protect your bishop and then reveal the forking possibility anyway, in the next 2 moves. I have not calculated if there is enough time to get the rook outta there, though I suppose that a2 would prevent that. Hard to say, the engine has more depth even at 14 than players well into their 2000s.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads