• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The CHESS Thread

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'm looking queenside for white here . i'll edit further

ok your light squared bishop wins on b5 after axb5 if my notation is good

i look at black's a5 pawn and regard it as part of my defense so i'll likely leave it alone

but i'm also looking at a4 for the white queen
Well, the board has progressed:
1686460131208.png

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you could even look at ng4 to cut off king's retreat and the black queen wouldn't do anything

qd6 is not a cm i don't think they can defend with the rook if they smell it ... i look at qe8 as a not bad choice plus might be more defensive ? i do like qd6 tho

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you could even look at ng4 to cut off king's retreat and the black queen wouldn't do anything

qd6 is not a cm i don't think they can defend with the rook if they smell it ... i look at qe8 as a not bad choice plus might be more defensive ? i do like qd6 tho
1686468039089.png

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i found your game and reviewed it ( i don't think i can look in on bot games live ) , a nice finish ! ( i still like my bishop idea for the earlier frame )

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i found your game and reviewed it ( i don't think i can look in on bot games live ) , a nice finish ! ( i still like my bishop idea for the earlier frame )
Just a training game. Okay with the game rating. Wish that I had been more accurate. I've been practicing and trying to learn white e5 openings. I'm a huge proponent of situational sparring in combat sports, working on all of your building blocks. This is the same approach that I'm try ng here.

I think that you can play alternative scenarios in the game review.

Last edited:

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Screenshot 2023-06-11 7.22.21 PM.png

i'm soaking up a bit of norway 2023 on yt .... maybe this is old hat for some

so far the only exchange that's happened is the c pawns traded to d4 , opening up the c file as shown . otherwise everything else is on the board , i think this is like move 16 or so ...;

... so , what happens next ? it's white's move after black plays e5 . i'll be thinking about this for a bit before i watch the rest .

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1973179

i'm soaking up a bit of norway 2023 on yt .... maybe this is old hat for some

so far the only exchange that's happened is the c pawns traded to d4 , opening up the c file as shown . otherwise everything else is on the board , i think this is like move 16 or so ...;

... so , what happens next ? it's white's move after black plays e5 . i'll be thinking about this for a bit before i watch the rest .
Maybe push to D5? It's hard to figure out grandmaster moves. Which game is this?

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe push to D5? It's hard to figure out grandmaster moves. Which game is this?

tari - firouzja ,

i thought the same d5 but they go bg3 to shore up the claim to e5 before the next move which is indeed d5

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I figured out why cheering for Anna Cramling play her tournaments seems so comfortable and familiar. It's like watching the Canadian soccer team - plucky but ultimately a bit underpowered, so you as spectatoar are basically willing her to play the moves that her mother, GM Pia, is calling as the correct move.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1975361
what say you ? black to move
h6, ask the white light squared bishop whassup. It's nearly a trappped bishop. If he takes, you take back nd start marching up the h file with the rook protection, and possibly putting the queen on the g file, or the rook, if there is time to reroute it.

If he escapes Bf4 or Bh4, knock on his door with g5.

If he takes the knight with Bxf3, take back with BxF3 and now you have a joined bishop pair, and you can start marching the pawns.

It looks like he messed up his own development, playing D4, and responding to E5, which he is supposed to take or defend, by playing D5, then brought out his knight to defend his overextended pawn. Not sure exactly what happened, but it also looks like brought out his light colored bishop, and then panicked with the black E pawn went into the 4th rank, and played E3, which effectively stranded his bishop, which right now is defending nothing and only sees three 4 squares. May as well take advantage of the weaknsss on that side. He is going to lose a piece, one way of the other, and your pawn will be coming up the flank on an under developed side, with you firmly in control of both the G and H files.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
h6, ask the white light squared bishop whassup. It's nearly a trappped bishop. If he takes, you take back nd start marching up the h file with the rook protection, and possibly putting the queen on the g file, or the rook, if there is time to reroute it.

If he escapes Bf4 or Bh4, knock on his door with g5.

If he takes the knight with Bxf3, take back with BxF3 and now you have a joined bishop pair, and you can start marching the pawns.

It looks like he messed up his own development, playing D4, and responding to E5, which he is supposed to take or defend, by playing D5, then brought out his knight to defendn ld his overextended pawn. Not sure exactly what happened, but it also looks like brought out his light colored bishop, and then panicked with the black E pawn went into the 4th rank, and played E3, which effectively stranded his bishop, which right now is defending nothing and only sees three 4 squares. May as well take advantage of the weaknsss on that side. He is going to lose a piece, one way of the other, and your pawn will be coming up the flank on an under developed side, with you firmly in control of both the G and H files.

from a game , white opened with e4 . black went with d5 (scandinavian def) and advanced to d4 ( which is book ) after white moved nc3 . playing as black i don't mind extending the d pawn here and looking at this now i still like the position .

there is a *brilliant* move on the board for black in this position btw and it does address both light squared bishops and i do agree white's bishop is misplaced . i found it on the next move but i didn't quite grasp the position and misplayed the middlegame ( i did earn white's light squared bishop tho ) , so it goes .

but just for fun the move was
cne5
which i think i do understand after review .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads