• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Billionaire Planning his 125th Birthday

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is a funny/cool article from the NYT Magazine. This guy sounds like StephenHero. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/06/ma...general&src=me This is his "longevity diet." http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...l?ref=magazine
In 2006, when he first met with D. H. Griffin, whose demolition company was to prepare the site for the research campus, he took note of Griffin’s size. At 5-foot-11, he weighed about 285 pounds. “You’re probably going to die before this job’s done, because you’re so fat and unhealthy,” Murdock told Griffin, as Griffin recalls, adding that Griffin’s family would wind up paying extra money for an extra-large coffin. Later he did something more constructive: he offered Griffin a bonus if he lost 30 pounds. Griffin did and collected $100,000. He has since regained 22 of them. In restaurants Murdock will push the butter dish toward the server and say, “Take the death off the table.” He will ask employees or friends who are putting sugar in coffee or milk in tea why they want to kill themselves and will upbraid people leaving healthful food unfinished about the vitamins they’re squandering. I experienced this during a visit in early February to his California ranch, where I joined him for lunch: a six-fruit smoothie; a mixed-leaf salad with toasted walnuts, fennel and blood orange; a soup with more than eight vegetables and beans; a sliver of grilled Dover sole on a bed of baby carrots, broccoli and brown rice. “How did you like your soup?” he asked me after one of his household staff members removed it. I said it was just fine. “Did you eat all your juice?” he added, referring to the broth. I said I had left perhaps an inch of it. He shot me a stern look. “You got a little bit of it,” he said. “I get a lot — every bit I can.” He shrugged his shoulders. “That’s O.K. You’ll go before me.

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reminds me of the portrayal of the Kelloggs founder in the film 'the Road to Wellville'. Favourite quote: "My stools are immaculate - they smell of freshly baked biscuits".

05charley

Reaction score

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like an old man who has yet to come to terms with his own mortality.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nil
Sounds like an old man who has yet to come to terms with his own mortality.

+1

He strikes me as completely obsessed with death, and desperate to convince himself he can beat it.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
+1

He strikes me as completely obsessed with death, and desperate to convince himself he can beat it.

What would be wrong with that?

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDFS
What would be wrong with that?

Constantly fixating on the end seems to me like a terrible way to go through life.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He has fish for lunch and dinner? Isn't too much fish supposed to be toxic due to pollution?

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
Constantly fixating on the end seems to me like a terrible way to go through life.

It is. But not doing so, at least often seems rather
struisvogel_in_het_zand.jpg
to me.

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He will ask employees or friends who are putting sugar in coffee or milk in tea why they want to kill themselves and will upbraid people leaving healthful food unfinished about the vitamins they’re squandering.
thumbs-up.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads