• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Architecture Thread

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Thanks a lot. Found the "before" photo of the space.

same view.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Morde,

May be a bit late for this suggestion; but you may want to consider doing a reveal on the bottom of the drywall for plain walls on your next project.

I noticed all of the plywood structures all used a reveal to separate it from the drywall.

Loving the charcoal tile, I've been attempting to get approval from the board of directors (finance') to change the flooring in my study to a similar situation.

If it does not impose on the rights of your artists, I would be curious to see some pictures once all the artwork is up.

Last edited:

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
I don't think it would have been a good idea for this space. It's a very typical ****** LA apartment building from the 30s, which means there isn't really a straight wall in the room and the floors and ceilings are uneven. We actually built out the right side of the floating wall to follow the rather severe slant of the building wall. So this looks straight but is actually at about an 85 degree angle:

You can see what we're working with at floor level and the wall below. The wall on the left leans as much as the wall on the right in the image above it. It might have been kind of cool to accentuate more of the imperfections of the building, but a reveal that looked like the image you posted would have had to follow the floor in a way that I'm not sure would have looked good.

Last edited:

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
:embar: The coffee has had little effect today.

I'll leave that up so that you guys have some ammunition for future posts.

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I love the look of the bent-steel stairs, but I wonder how practical they are from a slipping standpoint. Maybe no worse than hardwood stairs...

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
They're cold roll steel, so they have a nice little texture to them. Superior to marble or terrazzo in that respect. ...

I think the most notable success is the stylistically neutral materials. You could take the interior any direction you'd want, whether it's Victorian furniture and gold-leaf picture frames or Eames chairs and dome lamps. It'd be extremely hard to **** up the interior space and extremely easy to re-invent it, in the same way that Chareau's Maison de Verre and Koolhaas' Maison Bordeaux are.

Last edited:

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Funny you say that as my first thought was I'd like to see furniture/life in the place.

lefty

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads