• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Architecture Thread

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Will it take a 150 years to finish this as well?

Just a lot of taxpayers money. I wonder how long is the tax abatement on that ******* thing?

P.S. Looking at his website, it appears that Calatrava does not built anything else but awful spindly things. I have heard his name before, but never actually looked for his buildings. What an awful architect he is.

Last edited:

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A project like that probably costs around 500 million, so pending on who's paying 0-50 years.

The New Yorker wrote that it is over 3.2 billion figure for this project. Part of it, I hope, spent on Path and Subway.

Last edited:

Tried and True

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

it appears that Calatrava does not built anything else but awful spindly things. I have heard his name before, but never actually looked for his buildings. What an awful architect he is.
Not a big fan either for the most part though I kinda like his never built Chicago Spire.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The New Yorker wrote that it is over 3.2 billion figure for this project. Part of it, I hope, spent on Path and Subway.

It is, below ground construction is always very expensive, the above ground building it self, can't be more than the 500 mill.

It will contain a 365,000 sq.ft. Westfield, even at 500 it will be an insanely expensive project for what it is and the rent will have to be astronomical for it to make sense for the owner.

Last edited:

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Not a big fan either for the most part though I kinda like his never built Chicago Spire.

Most contemporary prestige projects aren't very good looking and are essentially pea cocking at it's worst.

Just see what they have done to London, the Walky-talky is atrocious.

Tried and True

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Most contemporary prestige projects aren't very good looking and are essentially pea cocking at it's worst..
You don't need to *****foot around, just say Frank Gehry.

Just see what they have done to London, the Walky-talky is atrocious.
That one makes the Canary Wharf critics wonder what they were complaining about.

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Renzo Piano and Rafael Vinoly are really ******* up London.

I'd agree that the latter is just a terrible architect. But Renzo Piano is a genius and both the Central St Giles complex and the Shard are excellent, the latter being by far the most beautiful tall building in London. But f you really want to name the thing that's "******* up London", it's the same thing that drives everything in central London: finance capital.

Last edited:

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You can't seriously think Central St. Giles is good looking, I looks like someone has tried to gentrify a housing estate.

I will give the Lloyds building and master plan for Battersea powerstation are good, but the proposed new tower in Paddington?

Piano's work is much better fit for somewhere like Miami, his Eighty Seven Park project in Miami actually looks like it fits in.

London is driven by direct foreign investment by mainly sovereign wealth funds and big foreign developers ie. Battersea Powerstation.

Last edited:

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
^ Such an odd design. For a city that's so prohibitively expensive, using a sizable chunk of the lot's space for something as relatively nonfunctional as an unenclosed patio seems bizarre. I have no idea why they wouldn't increase the square footage by using sliding partitions and turning it into a 3-season space or just enclosing the entire floor and the putting the patio on the roof where they can have greater privacy, 360 degree views, and maximized natural light without sacrificing one for the others. And the hermetic living room without external views along its length is a head scratcher.

Last edited:

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Re: Calatrava's WTC design: The finish is terrible, but that's due to the fact they they didn't properly sandblast the concrete before painting it. From what I remember reading, the city balked at the cost after the design specified a better finish and they ended up cutting corners in prepping the surface, so I wouldn't necessarily blame Calatrava for an ugly design, but rather a poor effort to make the design cost-effective. If the design itself is poor, it's due to how unpractical stubborn its formal aspirations were, which seems like fair criticism given his recent track record. I really want to like the guy, because he's certainly a genius in many ways, but he needs a co-pilot that can help deliver his genius sensibly, and it appears he lacks that right now.

Re: The Shard: Gorgeous.

Re: Rogers' Central St. Giles: Awful awful awful

Re: Rogers' Bankside Development in London: Pretty crappy looking.

Last edited:

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I actually like Neo Bankside, the only real gribe I have with it, is that it looks a little too much like One Hyde Park he did 10ish years ago.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads