• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Architecture Thread

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

Completely agree with Skinny. I think it's extremely pretentious and impractical to live in an abstract sculpture.

I get the practicality point, by why is it pretentious? Unless your view is that abstract is pretentious across the board?

I get that sweat equity begets respect, but you get more respect by not being a prick.

:nodding:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm not persuaded by his presentation. Not saying he's wrong, but I'm not convinced he's right.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I'm not persuaded by his presentation. Not saying he's wrong, but I'm not convinced he's right.

I can't tell to whom you are referring. Taken in the abstract, it describes much of SF for me.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also the last 10ish pages are ****.

I must say that I'm actually enjoying people having a discussion about buildings without StephenHero continuously inserting sneering, arrogant, insulting comments about any view that happens to differ from his own, or about any photos that were not taken by a professional architectural photographer. It's a refreshing change.

Without wanting to sound snarky myself, if you don't like the current discussion, then you can always start posting some photos copied from dezeen or whichever site SH took most of his photos from.

Edited to add: I don't have anything against SH particularly, and I appreciate the photos that he posted, but I did get rather fed up with his intolerant, highly condescending attitude.

Last edited:

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Completely agree with Skinny. I think it's extremely pretentious and impractical to live in an abstract sculpture. Those interior spaces are really very poor in terms of usability, dimensions, proportions, and so forth. The fenestration is also inelegant and the glazing stingy, which looks bad on both the inside and outside. That's typical of pretentious architecture: all of the budget is used up on formal abstraction, and you end up with ****** windows.

Besides, I don't think Gehry's building works as a sculpture at all. It is top-heavy and extremely clumsy, and there is nothing clever or thought-provoking about it. I would be impressed if someone could explain the rationale behind as it a sculpture, let alone as a building.
+ @ Skinny ****** I don't think the interior spaces necessitated by mangled exteriors are necessarily bad. As someone else said here, aesthetic interest may compensate for impracticality....might actually appeal to someone who doesn't care for a lot of set-piece furnishings that want straight lines.

But Gehry's crumpled bag coming to Sydney is something that should only be done once.
bus-crs-glly-gen-004.jpg

love it. top heavy's it's schtick

Last edited:

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I must say that I'm actually enjoying people having a discussion about buildings without StephenHero continuously inserting sneering, arrogant, insulting comments about any view that happens to differ from his own, or about any photos that were not taken by a professional architectural photographer. It's a refreshing change.

Without wanting to sound snarky myself, if you don't like the current discussion, then you can always start posting some photos copied from dezeen or whichever site SH took most of his photos from.

The houses posted are 9 out of 10 ugly as **** and I don't care enough about Gehry to read 10ish pages about his work.

I already have multiple times, even as late as last week.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

+ @ Skinny ****** I don't think the interior spaces necessitated by mangled exteriors are necessarily bad. As someone else said here, aesthetic interest may compensate for impracticality....might actually appeal to someone who doesn't care for a lot of set-piece furnishings that want straight lines. But Gehry's crumpled bag coming to Sydney is something that should only be done once.
bus-crs-glly-gen-004.jpg
love it. top heavy's it's schtick
I find little chopped up spaces to be difficult to deal with and it doesn't make for the interior I would want. The interior is what anyone who has actually committed to living in the building is going to be dealing with, so sacrificing it for the exterior design seems superficial. Simple, well proportioned and crafted of quality material is something much more enjoyable to me than 'unique'. I agree with the general sentiment that this discussion has improved without the constant derailment. I didn't appreciate stephen's constant need to regularly insult people and hang onto a point in order to make them feel stupid, but he brought some great insight to the discussion when he was actually interested in providing it.

Last edited:

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Edited to add: I don't have anything against SH particularly, and I appreciate the photos that he posted, but I did get rather fed up with his intolerant, highly condescending attitude.

Don't you worry, he'll be back. I think he expected more people coming to his defense which hasn't happened after pulling a he goes or I go. Perhaps he should consider why.

But if you really want to see know-it-all-prickdom in action, visit the wine thread. This is nothing.

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Without taking sides, I would like to note that the meta discussion of SH is just as derailing as the behavior being discussed.

Anyway, I didn't see enough interior pictures of the Gehry highrise to reach a conclusion, but the spaces seemed fairly large by NYC standards, if a bit oddly shaped. Even if they are oddly shaped, there are plenty of rectangular options out there for those who don't like it. Nothing wrong with another flavor.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My opinions can be at least partially blamed on OCD :embar: All of those angles would just drive me crazy over time.

Been looking into Gamble House, attention to detail is just incredible;

Last edited:

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyway, I didn't see enough interior pictures of the Gehry highrise to reach a conclusion, but the spaces seemed fairly large by NYC standards, if a bit oddly shaped. Even if they are oddly shaped, there are plenty of rectangular options out there for those who don't like it. Nothing wrong with another flavor.

Friends who have looked at apartments in the building have said the apartments are actually very small.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

Cool story, bro.

Last edited:

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't care how rude or condescending SH is, as long as he brings the goods. It's just the same as foo, FNB, or even vox. Aren't we all old and secure enough to take a few punches from a pissant over the interwebs?

As for Gehry, I am in continual agreement with Skinny. His sort of sculptural architecture simply isn't appropriate for apartment blocks. I would bet that the vast majority of people buying apartments in that Spruce Street tower are doing so simply for the bragging rights of having a big-name starchitect. That's why it's a fundamentally pretentious building. For an art gallery or concert hall, I can accept, even embrace, Gehry's style -- sculpture as architecture works in that context. But for a residential tower it just doesn't work: everything is compromised by the radical form.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads