• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ten C : The Emperor's New Clothes

Joona

Reaction score
Some of the issues I have are with the design. The cuff adjuster is a single button elasticated tab that when pulled has no further anchor point/button to keep tension. I expect a second button would do the job nicely and pull the cuff in sufficiently for a wearer who had no gloves on, therefore offering some protection from the elements. Otherwise it just forms a useless loop, even though some tension is formed with the material it's not weather tight. Seems a bit daft considering the material and how these materials can beat the elements. However, I've had mine on earlier this evening with some shearling norse p gloves and the cuff works brilliantly when wearing gloves but without it can feel a little open, so with gloves as you would probably wear with a winter jacket the issue becomes redundant. But still, a design point that could be improved.

I know this is an old post (great review btw!) but I thought that I would reply just in case you or someone else is still finding the sleeve openings to be too wide. My friend just demonstrated to me how you can also use the cuff adjuster to make the cuff tight. You will first need to pull a bit of the elasticated tab out and then just roll it the other way around the sleeve and then button it. It should then tighten the cuff around your wrist. At least in a new Ten C Parka it really hugs your wrist if you do it like this.

I took a pic to show what I mean (as I probably didn't manage to explain it as clearly as I wanted):

einstine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wind Jacket came today. Looks like this was a one-off Japan exclusive, since I could only find two stores world wide carrying it (One in Japan and one in Canada) and the care tag is in English/Japanese.

In Black.

Few things

1. Same hardware: buttery smooth 2a SPA zippers and Velcro I am not sure if I love it or hate it - they are really light and soft, doesn't make noise, but do not hold on tight.

2. Ten C's black is very unique. It has almost purple hue when under direct light. Fabric is soft to touch, waterproof (we all know this won't last forever) and purplish black is very lux in it's own way.

3. The fit is very, very, very aggressively cropped, almost to the point I'm guessing it was designed specifically for smaller people in Japan:

Overall fit is also very slim which surprised me because Snow Smock I own is pretty over-sized and boxy. Now I know for sure my size in Ten C is size 46.

4. I am not sure if its just because it lacks buttons or the quality has gone up, but the construction (stitching and finish) actually feels way nicer than the Snow Smock of last year, which I had to take off and re-sew all buttons.

I love the rigid feel of brand new Ten C, the wobbly sound it makes as it breaks in. I am not sure if would keep it though, it is almost way too lux for me. I don't think I can actually abuse this jacket.
Also, its cropped design calls for a more trimmed fit overall, which I am not really into. I'll upload my pics later & PM if interested!

thedd

Reaction score
got a olive field in 50. worn about 5 times that i want to swap for 48

will consider a parka or short parka also at 21 inches pit to pit as i know the sizings vary from jacket to jacket

einstine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can people who own a Ten C Anorak comment on the quality?

Really just wondering if its would be warm with the liner?

...and for people who any Ten C jacket how does this fabric age and form? I want to grab one of there pieces but the quality seems sub par for the price, kind of like an expensive windbreaker.

ike_hiking_boots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Came to this brand via CP Company - sounded great until I read this forum! It sounds terrible.

So… I went to Hideout earlier in the week to take a look - and the fabric - well I am not surprised it looks like **** after a few months wear.

There is something not quite right about it; it's a shame if it's true because visually it looks great.

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many of the people making negative comments don't seem to actually own one of the jackets.

FWIW, I'm very happy with mine. I've been wearing it regularly for almost 2 years now in all sorts of conditions. It still looks practically new. The fabric is as waterproof as it was when I bought it. It will absorb a bit of water, darken and change texture, but no water gets through. It's always been like that. The fabric is also windproof and with the liner I find it very comfortable even at -20 degrees. As others have mentioned, the velcro does stop sticking very quickly and the zipper tape tends to fray, but these are the only issues I have.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So far so good. I have the fishtail and shearling liner and hood. I also have an extra liner that is just waiting for a jacket to put it in... Thinking between the trench and storm parka next.

einstine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many of the people making negative comments don't seem to actually own one of the jackets.

FWIW, I'm very happy with mine. I've been wearing it regularly for almost 2 years now in all sorts of conditions. It still looks practically new. The fabric is as waterproof as it was when I bought it. It will absorb a bit of water, darken and change texture, but no water gets through. It's always been like that. The fabric is also windproof and with the liner I find it very comfortable even at -20 degrees. As others have mentioned, the velcro does stop sticking very quickly and the zipper tape tends to fray, but these are the only issues I have.
-20 I think your exaggerating a little ...unless your talking about the shearling because I owned the regular liner and it was not warm for a $250 liner.

Last edited:

kazper

Reaction score
I just received my black parka today. I must say the color play and velvet like smoothness is absolutely stunning. However I'm really surprised about the stiffness of the fabric, not to mention the sound of it. It feels like wearing a big piece of cardboard :)

How long does it take to loose this stiffness and become super soft? Weeks, months?

Also how tough is the fabric, is it easily scratched and stained?

Thanks

brian11

Reaction score
Just like the previous poster, I got a parka. Pretty similar thoughts about stiffness and feel of it. Also really impressed by the quality of it; it's one solid, heavy coat.

Just a comment for anyone wanting to buy one, I would really try it out first.

Every jacket fits differently. I've tried the parka, field and snow smock and they all have very different sizing.

I'm 5'7, 140 pounds and I have the parka in 44, and I've got room in here.

ceoceo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Huh, really? I also have been wearing my smock snow pretty regularly and while I wore it for many purposes (it floats!!) I swear I did not thrash a $1k jacket. And it does not look new.

There are scratches and worn out spots here and there, the jacket is softened a lot, and the jacket does feel a little heavy after wearing it in a harsher rain.

I like the jacket though, for reasons I cannot really articulate. Still, if you are into the looks, look for Korean or Japanese military repro brands :hide: . They are 99% identical + more authentic details, and probably would be more functional.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Huh, really? I also have been wearing my smock snow pretty regularly and while I wore it for many purposes (it floats!!) I swear I did not thrash a $1k jacket. And it does not look new.

There are scratches and worn out spots here and there, the jacket is softened a lot, and the jacket does feel a little heavy after wearing it in a harsher rain.

I like the jacket though, for reasons I cannot really articulate. Still, if you are into the looks, look for Korean or Japanese military repro brands :hide: . They are 99% identical + more authentic details, and probably would be more functional.

Ten C say the fabric wears, that is part of their thing. That it molds to your body, etc.

My fishtail is a bit oversized, but I wanted room for the liner, hood, and even a suit underneath all of that.

ceoceo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I realize that. I am just not their target market rich boyz who want raw denim-like jacket.

I actually like the sizing of Ten C. I can wear a shirt+cardigan+blazer under my snow smock and probably end up with enough room to hide a cat or two underneath. Very nice 'easy jacket' once you get past the price tag.

benecios

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After being a Cabournophile for many years I bought a Ten C Snow Smock in Olive and bought the shearling liner for it. I absolutely love it, I've only worn it twice but so far it has drawn more positive comments than any other garment I've owned. I won't give it any real hammer as I wear work clothing Mon-Fri so I probably won't have the longevity issues a lot are reporting on here, you have all made me very paranoid about losing buttons though. :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads