• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ten best t-shirt lines

Twin85

Reaction score
With summer right around the corner I thought this would be a good post...

Top ten favorite t-shirt lines:

Altru - Altruapparel.net: The designs are simple yet creative and they print on a great cotton/poly blend.

Tyler Speed - Tylerspeed.com: Really funny, but not childish designs. Great designs from a football league in the 80's.

Rock'n Clothing - rocknclothing.com: Musically inspired vintage t-shirts, great designs and a real soft 45/55 blend. They have really good summer colorways as well.

Trovata - Trovata.com: Each of their lines is based off of a book.

ICR vs Deth Killers: Very unique designs based off of a motorcylce gang.

The Hundreds - thehundreds.com: Real cool urban t-shirt line.

Barking Irons - barkingirons.com: Does all printing themselves with some great techniques, stuff can be found in Barneys.

Imaginary Clothing - Imaginaryclothing.com: good designs and colors.

Trunk Ltd - trunkltd.com: Old concert t-shirts, but very costly

Redcoles: Redcoles.com - Jazz t-shirts.

What do you guys think?

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went through all the collections on those websites, and I kept thinking "These would look so much better without text." A fairly nice design always got spoiled by a giant "The Hundreds", "Longtime Servant of the Gun" or whatever. Very distracting, but maybe it's just me.

Wasn't Rock'n Clothing started by someone here? Don't think they post anymore, though...

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of all those lines, I think that I really only like the Trovata tees. I prefer tees with no text, unless the tees are genuine vintage. I absolutely detest ICR vs. Deth Killers. The brand is, to me, the ultimate in poser brands, sort of an upgraded Von Dutch (their jeans are okay though).

Personally, my favorite tees are usually no-name, or very small name (like DSGN, the "Cry" tee from which I am now wearing). Of the bigger name, I like *some* of the tees by Corpus, Yoko Devereaux, and Rogues Gallery. Generally though, I say that if you spend over $35 for a tee shirt, you are veering dangerously into poser land, and I wear tees pretty much every day. Tees should be vintage, bought at a concert (that you actually went to), or bought at super discount time.

Bergdorf Goodwill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of all those lines, I think that I really only like the Trovata tees. I prefer tees with no text, unless the tees are genuine vintage. I absolutely detest ICR vs. Deth Killers. The brand is, to me, the ultimate in poser brands, sort of an upgraded Von Dutch (their jeans are okay though).

Personally, my favorite tees are usually no-name, or very small name (like DSGN, the "Cry" tee from which I am now wearing). Of the bigger name, I like *some* of the tees by Corpus, Yoko Devereaux, and Rogues Gallery. Generally though, I say that if you spend over $35 for a tee shirt, you are veering dangerously into poser land, and I wear tees pretty much every day. Tees should be vintage, bought at a concert (that you actually went to), or bought at super discount time.
Preach it.

Sorry, but if you drop legit bills on a "vintage-look" Rolling Stones, Who, whatever T-shirt you look like a complete tool.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Tees should be vintage, bought at a concert (that you actually went to), or bought at super discount time.
haha, the best are kids today who wear Ts of bands they have never really heard, but they know are the "cool" ones to jock (a good friend of mine had a humorous experience with a UCI student sporting a Misfits shirt and had no idea who the band was)

saw some cool trendy/hipster looking Ts at American Rag but $65+ for a tshirt??? c'mon now....

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I like the USFL t's from Tylerspeed, but I heard somewhere that if you can remember when something was popular the first time, that's a sign that you're too old to wear it this time. As I recall watching USFL games, I don't know if I could rock an Arizona Wranglers or New Jersey Generals shirt now. If anyone is looking for something different, there are two local companies here in Phoenix that you might want to check out. They're geared more to skater, bmx-types - but they sometimes have fun stuff. Team Loco Korupt Klothing If nothing else - there are some attractive young ladies on these pages Â
biggrin.gif

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
(LA Guy @ May 19 2005,09:50) Tees should be vintage, bought at a concert (that you actually went to), or bought at super discount time.
haha, the best are kids today who wear Ts of bands they have never really heard, but they know are the "cool" ones to jock  (a good friend of mine had a humorous experience with a UCI student sporting a Misfits shirt and had no idea who the band was) saw some cool trendy/hipster looking Ts at American Rag but $65+ for a tshirt??? c'mon now....
My favorite are the CBGB and Ramones tees. Hey bud, name one Ramones song, quick. Also, what is the question to the following answer is "NYC club known for spotting young talent in the 80s'." Coincidentally, had a friend who opened there recently. Good break for her.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The ironic heavy metal shirt is quite popular where I am. If you're not familiar with the trend, it is one in which emo kids and hipsters sport Pantera and Metallica shirts -- presumably because heavy metal is probably the polar opposite of their preferred music style. This trend provides me ample oppurtunity for fun. Being an extremely knowledgeable Metallica fan, I like to quiz the emo kids about them. But since I don't look like your typical heavy metal fan (come on, I'm Asian and I like vintage sneakers) I'm also able to quiz and surprise legitimate metal fans who naturally assume I'm just making fun of them.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favorite are the CBGB and Ramones tees.

One thing I always wondered: do the bands/venues/etc. whose logos appear on those tees get paid for it? I remember in the mid-90s, punk bands would say "Don't buy tshirts from hot topic, buy 'em at the shooooow <snarl> <spit>.." I'm thinking The Queers, Mr. T Experience, etc. here.

Not that I'm overly concerned about Glenn Danzig's ability to horde leather pants, but it would be good to know that these guys get soemthing out of the trend...

No one's mentioned the ubiquitous (and cheap) threadless.com on this thread.

Bergdorf Goodwill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
God, I hate Ramones/CBGB people. I also hate the Ramones and the venue, so hey...

Potentially worse is the "ironic D.A.R.E. T-shirt," which I thought had fallen by the wayside until I saw a couple the other day...

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes, that's probably the most popular ironic t-shirt by far. Now it's just so played out. Oh, irony, she is a fickle mistress.

Charles Rogers

Reaction score
I really like trovata t's, but i am not going to drop 50 dollars on a T (unless I have to have it, but thats rare). It looks like they don't really go on sale though.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Potentially worse is the "ironic D.A.R.E. T-shirt," which I thought had fallen by the wayside until I saw a couple the other day...
I actually don't think I've ever seen anybody wear a DARE tee ironicly. A lot of the people you see are probably edge.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Chicago just isn't edge enough.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads