• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well country wide was an awful purchase but I don't think it's forced and a lot of the lawsuits and losses came from there.

I agree

They can probably say Merrill was a shotgun marriage but they walked into the Countrywide disaster on their own.

Last edited:

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reduced AETN and loaded up NOK again. NOK is a patent hog ,will be good cash cow and will double again. (or so I hope)...:embar:

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Well country wide was an awful purchase but I don't think it's forced and a lot of the lawsuits and losses came from there.

I agree

They can probably say Merrill was a shotgun marriage but they walked into the Countrywide disaster on their own.

This is true, but IMO they're being beat over the head with litigation fall-out from these acquisitions.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is true, but IMO they're being beat over the head with litigation fall-out from these acquisitions.

I'd go a lot further than that.

I almost don't care about the lawsuits / settlements since that will be a drop in the bucket compared to the future lost revenue due to the punitive regulation that's being cooked up / haphazardly implemented.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'd go a lot further than that.

I almost don't care about the lawsuits / settlements since that will be a drop in the bucket compared to the future lost revenue due to the punitive regulation that's being cooked up / haphazardly implemented.

This is how the modern soft hand of Wall St regulation works. There are hundreds of people that can be gone after if there was any real interest in unwinding the financial mess they created, but there isn't. So this lip service of blaming corporations over people within them continues. To me this is much more dangerous than any regulations can be because if you know they can be ignored, they never had any value to begin with.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
and we have the result, bac just halted their buy backs and Capitol plan.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I feel bad for BAC. I'm glad I got out with a tiny bit of profit two months back. Purchased JPM instead and it was a winner for awhile, but their recent earnings miss has me in the red.

AAPL has been kind to me lately, including today. Hopefully this is the beginning of the reversal of the **** it's been dragged through over the past two years.

Last edited:

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

Well, sure. But it's not like that wasn't a known risk when they purchased it. You can't buy a business with a bunch of foreseeable liabilities and then ***** when the time comes to realize those liabilities.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, except that we're over 50B at this point, and it's been six years.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

Yes, except that we're over 50B at this point, and it's been six years.

That's kind of a non-sequitur. I don't know exactly what BAC's internal estimates of the likely and potential liabilities were, but the figures you're citing are hardly beyond the realm of what was reasonably predicable - at least on the downside risk side of the scale. Just as a random data point, at six years we're still several years short of the litigation trail that followed the Lincoln Savings mess.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads