• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailor's Apprentice Story on NPR

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Its nice to see that there are people still willing to apprentice with experienced artisans. Sadly, I suspect this is more the exception than the norm.

SuitingStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
too bad I have a full time job, otherwise I would love to do the same.
The old Italian man I use is going to retire this year, he is 80+. I asked him if anyone is taking over for him, he said no and seemed sad that he wouldn't be passing his skills and craft onto someone.

But I guess I understand why, its not a very rewarding field finacial wise, and its a lifetime commitment. He told me he's been making suits since he was 14.

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great story, and he sounds like the right kind of guy to keep this up.

Heard it in the car this a.m. I thought he was 90, is gonna work there until he dies, and hopes the young man will keep it going.

My guess is that it's a general reflection of market forces that boutique operations begin to flourish when very large companies block out the mid-sized operations.

I would assume that there will be a large demand for such small operations, particularly if Martin Greenfield, Hickey, Oxford go under.

Moss

Reaction score
The apprentice in the story had originally considered going to Italy to study tailoring, but changed his mind after he met his mentor.

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm only 25. If it weren't for optometry school and the economics aspect of it, I would do it. I thought about doing it as a hobby. I thought I would just buy myself a sewing machine and try to make shirts. But no time.

But I think I'll convince my kids to see if they like making clothes. When I have them I mean.

Tampan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonlegoman
But I think I'll convince my kids to see if they like making clothes. When I have them I mean.

Your contributions on SF are all the more remarkable as a naked person.
tounge.gif

I would also encourage this line of work in my offspring, should they show an inclination. The rarer it becomes, the more lucrative it may become. Computers may eventually be capable of convincing machine customization, but even those computers will need trainers. Perhaps a tailor in a mid-blue leotard and motion sensors will solve some of the gap between supply and demand.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am also going to encourage this with my son, so that I can have him sewing me bespoke items at the ripe age of 6 at zero labor cost.

timeless

Reaction score
I've had a number of things tailored by Centofanti....even at 87 he still fits everything personally. He was named by either Esquire or Robb Report a few years ago as one of the ten best tailors in America so the young man is learning from a master.

Although I agree it's a difficult vocation today I'm sure Centofanti's success is partly due to his location...he's been on the Philadelphia Main Line for almost 50 years....lots of old quiet money and now lots of new money....houses in the area routinely go for 5 million plus and the other day I drove by one that was 40,000 square feet and cost over 25 million to build...so Centofanti has lots of clients who can afford $5000.00 and up suits...this apprentice kid sounds pretty shrewd to me!

JamesT

Reaction score
A good story. It's nice to see I'm not going to be the only tailor once the current generation retires.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads