• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Superman VS Batman - Movie Thread (May 6, 2016)

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

...WB/DC wants to create essentially a huge blockbuster (which they will get with this film, no doubt)...

Really? You're sure about that? I'd say the odds of getting a huge hit out of this are far from certain. Aside from the Nolan/Bale Batman trilogy, DC hasn't had a certifiable blockbuster in 20 years, at least.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

See? Looks much older.

o hai, young jeffrey tambor!

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Really? You're sure about that? I'd say the odds of getting a huge hit out of this are far from certain. Aside from the Nolan/Bale Batman trilogy, DC hasn't had a certifiable blockbuster in 20 years, at least.

Man of Steel.

Also, this Batman and Superman movie is one for the most sought for film with the two most recognizable heroes in the world, this is a huge film that no one really expected to be made. Trust me, this film will more than be a blockbuster just off the name alone.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Superman would never need Batman's help. I just can't imagine a scenario where Batman could add real assistance to the film. Then you make another critical error by bringing in Wonder Woman (which has to be an effort to either grab female viewers or pervs). Is Wonder Woman going to fly in on her invisible plane? An Amazon warrior who happens to be tech savvy enough to know how to fly a plane, and even more so an invisible one.

You've obviously never picked up a Justice League or Superman/Batman book.

And this films temporary title is Superman vs Batman so obviously in the beginning they'll be feuding with each other but of course they'll get along and help out each other against a common enemy.

But yeah, if you do not read comics I'd just not say much about the story and it's character.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Superman was owned by the Joker so to think he's unstoppable is laughable.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man of Steel had a budget of 225 mil and brought in 250 mil. Profitable, probably, but not a spectacular hit. Critics mostly disliked it, audiences mostly thought it was meh.

Still not convinced that SvB is an inevitable runaway success.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Man of Steel had a budget of 225 mil and brought in 250 mil. Profitable, probably, but not a spectacular hit. Critics mostly disliked it, audiences mostly thought it was meh.

Still not convinced that SvB is an inevitable runaway success.

Domestically, it actually brought it $290m but total Worldwide, it made $670mil. In comparison, Returns cost $270m and made $391 worldwide. Batman begins cost $150m and made $375, Ironman cost $150m and made $585m.

It's no Avengers or Hunger Games but it was already reported even before the film came out that MoS already made it's money back from ads and sales merchandise already.

BluRay/DVD sales have been really strong too, on it's week 8, it was still #4. If you don't know how difference a strong BluRay/DVD sales can make, read up on Riddicks strong sales on Bluray/DVD and it being a good enough reason to be greenlit for a sequel.

Last edited:

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fair enough. Though the Batman movies had worse numbers than I realized. Of course, that third one was just terrible...

Oh, and just as a personal issue, I'll concede merchandising and post-theatrical release income as an important part of the overall profitability of a movie, but I think only box office take should be considered for "blockbuster" discussions. Maybe that's just a semantic hang up on my part.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you had told me 10 years ago that an Avengers film (made up of B-list Marvel heroes) and The Hunger Games (Americanized Battle Royale essentially) would make more money than a Superman film, I wouldn't believe you. DC was incredibly lucky to strike gold with Nolan.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Marvel was just much smarter with how they approached their films, they made origin films for unknown heroes so that people would care and once you are hooked or at least curious enough to see how the whole team gets together, then Marvel has your money.

I think that is one downfall with Superman, too many people adored and lover Reeves and one of the main complaint about MoS is why is he not Reeves-like at all? I mean seriously, people simply need to realize that Clark/Superman was still discovering himself and he wasn't int he same place as Reeves Clark/Supes were, hell Cavill barely got a job at the Daily Planet at the end of MoS, he really had no reason to play Clark/Supes like Reeves, he was just getting to that.

As for the Hunger Games, well it's like a better version of Twilight and I'll be honest, Catching Fire got me hyped for the next films.

Last edited:

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Oh, and just as a personal issue, I'll concede merchandising and post-theatrical release income as an important part of the overall profitability of a movie, but I think only box office take should be considered for "blockbuster" discussions. Maybe that's just a semantic hang up on my part.

Valid point, I just brought it up because people overlooks it most of the time and it does play a role in the movies profits in the end. I mean it is big enough that Marvel/Disney gave more Spiderman rights to Sony in exchange for handling merchandising because they know that's where they can capitalize and make the big bucks all year round.

And yeah, Begins didn't make as much money as people think, all they see in the Nolan trilogy is the billion dollar TDK and TDKR. Success was partly due to the Joker and ledger death. I mean movie was great, it is hands down my favorite but I am a bit curious if it would have been as big if Heath didn't die. My guess is it would have made $700-$800 but a billion? I'm not so sure.

Last edited:

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I think that is one downfall with Superman, too many people adored and lover Reeves and one of the main complaint about MoS is why is he not Reeves-like at all? I mean seriously, people simply need to realize that Clark/Superman was still discovering himself and he wasn't int he same place as Reeves Clark/Supes were, hell Cavill barely got a job at the Daily Planet at the end of MoS, he really had no reason to play Clark/Supes like Reeves, he was just getting to that.

think the downfall was too much of this

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nah, Crowe was one of the best things in the film and w/o that scene, you'd have an extra 30 minute long explanation of what happened.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Eh, MoS was a direct reaction to the negativity towards Superman Returns trying to hard to be the Donner/Reeves version of Superman. I actually enjoyed Superman Returns and what it was going for, but it was not loved by the public at large. WB did what felt to them to be the logical next step and gave the public what they assumed they wanted. Everything that Returns was not.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I disagree, I think the character just simply needed a huge reboot and this new one seems to coincide with the New 52 reset. Pretty clear with the one-piece spandex.

But overall, that was exactly what you expected from a Snyder Superman film and to expect any less have not seen his prior films. I'm just glad there weren't many slow motion actions.

I am still optimistic with DC and WB but it really seems like they aren't listening to fans much. Superman killing and then Affleck, I have no problem with it but they know they'll get **** for it and they did it anyways. Then Eisenberg as Luthor, they are also well aware that they'll get nothing but **** for it too but they went ahead with the move as well. They are obviously trying to make something new and unique here, an older Batman with a newb Superman, a younger Luthor that'll likely have his own origins in the sequel?

I liked Return to a point too, but it just dragged on and on, hell even Singer said if he were to do it now, he would have made a reboot too. Superman Returns was obviously a sequel to the Donner films, Singer said it himself so that's what you got. Man of Steel is a complete reboot so I don't think it is just to "make a complete opposite" film. Keep in mind that Nolan also approved of the film minus the ending but then Goyer talked him into it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads