• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sun Lotions.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do sun lotions with a sufficent SPF prevent tanning? In the summer months, I'd rather prefer my skin to remain pale and not turn the color of day laborers or George Hamilton. Currently, I'm using what various dermatologists call "the world's best sun lotion" which is the French-made La Roche Posay Anthelios XL SPF 50; it contains Mexoryl. It used to be that this product wasn't available in the US since Mexoryl didn't meet FDA approval. Actually, I think the one I use is still technically unavailable in the US since the Mexoryl it uses is a different variation: http://myheavenlyskin.com/products/anthelios/index.asp

shellshock

Forum Mascot
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Do sun lotions with a sufficent SPF prevent tanning?

In the summer months, I'd rather prefer my skin to remain pale and not turn the color of day laborers or George Hamilton.

KrisVisorVeil2A.jpg

seriously dude shut up.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shellshock
KrisVisorVeil2A.jpg

seriously dude shut up.

Now, let's not get over-excited here.

As for that get-up, I often see Asian women wearing it whilst driving or doing shopping but since I am neither a woman nor desire to look like a Thom Browne beekeeper, I don't think that would work; but thank you for the sarcasm.

rxcats

Reaction score
Sunblocks/sunscreens with high enough SPF.... and applied often enough to remain effective, should prevent any noticable tanning. Some people choose lower SPF because they WANT a tan. Development of a tan is an indication that you are damaging your skin. I also prefer not to tan at all. I am currently using Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 55. It contains "Helioplex" which is supposed to block both UVA and UVB like Mexoryl. It seems that it is a bit more cost-effective (about $10.00 for 3 ounces). It dries without a trace (no shine/matt finish) and has only a faint smell.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't get tans.

I suppose they were useful when attempting to distinguish yourself from all the lesser folks in winter-time who couldn't afford to go to Capri or whatnot, but the abuse that the tanning myth leads to is vile.

I'm reminded of people like Donatella Versace and other dried out bags like her.

The thing I like about the Roche-Posay is that it doesn't have the residue that most sun lotions leave though I suppose it might also be due to the fact I bought the "Veloute" version.

rxcats

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I don't get tans.

I suppose they were useful when attempting to distinguish yourself from all the lesser folks in winter-time who couldn't afford to go to Capri or whatnot, but the abuse that the tanning myth leads to is vile.

I'm reminded of people like Donatella Versace and other dried out bags like her.

The thing I like about the Roche-Posay is that it doesn't have the residue that most sun lotions leave though I suppose it might also be due to the fact I bought the "Veloute" version.

You are preaching to the choir!! I just wish that I had avoided the sun in my teenages years as well. My goal is to not have any detectable tan at all.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
donatella_lips.jpg

'Dried out, eh? Eh? Label King, you doan deserve to look lak me . . . '

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
having unusually pale skin during the summer looks as bad as a fake tan. though i suppose certain ethnicities are more self conscious about their skin tone, there is something to be said for going au naturelle.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Exfoliating regularly will also contribute to a pale complexion. I usually exfoliate before a shave.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
mankind survived how many years before the advent of sun lotions?

I don't think skin cancer was much of an issue when men had a lower life expectancy, or when the ozone layer was more intact.

rxcats

Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
mankind survived how many years before the advent of sun lotions?

...and occasionally people lived into their late 30's or even the ripe old age of 40.

I have made up enough Proleukin (chemotherapy drug) for melanoma patients to be weary of sun exposure.

Come to think of it, mankind survived many years without toothbrushes either...do you think that is a good idea too?

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or without modern health care or showers or, for that matter, clothes? This argument gets absurd rather precipitously.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
Or without modern health care or showers or, for that matter, clothes? This argument gets absurd rather precipitously.
i'm not suggesting that one shouldn't wear sunscreen to the beach, or at other, obvious times, but normal healthy people slathering chemicals all over their skin every day seems ridiculous.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads