• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suitsupply - still a good value (and fit) ?

soto_nw

Reaction score
Yeah, I think it's just great that so many options exist. I would suggest that if one could afford it, one should get a product from each and go from there. Honestly, I've found that they each serve different purposes and have pros and cons.

Spier and McKay - I prefer to alter the sleeves and arm length, and their less expensive offering tend to be in inferior cloths (their better cloths start approaching Suit Supply prices) - but they are terrifically priced in most instances

Suit Supply - a bit too trendy sometimes and is a bit more expensive, but I find it fits me best OTR

Pini Parma - limited selection, a bit short in their jackets, but great cloths and fantastic pants

Rake Tailored - most expensive here, but paid attention to details and using great cloths (and are partnering with great artisans in make and design)

All have their pros and cons - and someone else's pros and cons list may look very different from my own. I always think it's worth disassociating discussions about "value and quality" from discussions of "what one prefers." Frankly these all sit around the same price range and are great options, from there it's personal opinion.

LeslieL

Reaction score
I am fortunate enough to have experience visiting both brands' stores in Toronto before the COVID. In general, Spier is more to sartorial side (niche) while SuSu more close to modern fashion side (i.e. general public taste). But both brands are good value and worth owning.

Customer Service: SuSu is better given its larger business scale, that may means faster inquiry reply, more efficient shipping and return, fancier store decoration and higher accessibility to international stores.

In-store Assistant Service: SuSu is OK but I have heard stories that some salesman want to put you into a "suit legging" trousers. Spier's sales are more professional, as they understand the proper fit better. (I personally prefer fuller cut and straight pants, no skinny suit pants please)

Selection of product: For me, both are good, and you can see huge improvements in Spier after 2020. I guess they are expanding their business, so more fabric selections (especially in sport coat). But again, Spier's taste is closer to sartorial side, or more classic (?), SuSu has better selection in fancy modern fashion fabric. There is no good or bad, simply depends on personal taste.

Selection of size: both offering 34-44 short/regular/long, various fit. SuSu has more selections in slim fit. Spier has 2 fits (slim or contemporary), which I think can satisfy 85% of the needs in the RTW market.

Suit (jacket) construction: I personally prefer SuSu for unknown reason. Both brands offer quality half-canvass suits in RTW, but I find myself more comfortable in SuSu's jacket. BTW, Jort collection is fantastic, great value.

Suit (trousers) construction: Spier wins.

Price: Spier wins when they have promotions. I know SuSu will have outlet sales sometime during the year, but always miss that date unfortunately.

Kevin24

Reaction score
I am fortunate enough to have experience visiting both brands' stores in Toronto before the COVID. In general, Spier is more to sartorial side (niche) while SuSu more close to modern fashion side (i.e. general public taste). But both brands are good value and worth owning.

Customer Service: SuSu is better given its larger business scale, that may means faster inquiry reply, more efficient shipping and return, fancier store decoration and higher accessibility to international stores.

In-store Assistant Service: SuSu is OK but I have heard stories that some salesman want to put you into a "suit legging" trousers. Spier's sales are more professional, as they understand the proper fit better. (I personally prefer fuller cut and straight pants, no skinny suit pants please)

Selection of product: For me, both are good, and you can see huge improvements in Spier after 2020. I guess they are expanding their business, so more fabric selections (especially in sport coat). But again, Spier's taste is closer to sartorial side, or more classic (?), SuSu has better selection in fancy modern fashion fabric. There is no good or bad, simply depends on personal taste.

Selection of size: both offering 34-44 short/regular/long, various fit. SuSu has more selections in slim fit. Spier has 2 fits (slim or contemporary), which I think can satisfy 85% of the needs in the RTW market.

Suit (jacket) construction: I personally prefer SuSu for unknown reason. Both brands offer quality half-canvass suits in RTW, but I find myself more comfortable in SuSu's jacket. BTW, Jort collection is fantastic, great value.

Suit (trousers) construction: Spier wins.

Price: Spier wins when they have promotions. I know SuSu will have outlet sales sometime during the year, but always miss that date unfortunately.

Tbh I think S&M wins the day overall. Very reasonably priced and good quality items compared to price overall.

Also idk where people get saying Suit Supply's customer service is good. Tbh I've found it quite bad compared to other retailers. I've been too. I've walked into their stores a number of times (sometimes serious) and I've found myself totally ignored by their salespeople. When I've had help I've found it aggressive and pushy.

Also, I think their products (while of decent quality) to be unaccommodating to body types other than 6'4 120 pound men.

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So people here still believe SS offers great pricing? In North America, Spier is much better value, was amazed to see the details in the jacket (underarms protections for example).
SS still has the upper hand on fabrics (for now at least).
Anyone knows how much suitsupply increased pricing by?
You can still get a great Napoli or Lazio for $399 Canadian at Suitsupply, so I don't think their prices are shooting up.

I still have two very nice SS suits, but I prefer my Spier and MacKay jackets for their lower buttoning point, generous lapels, and the ease of ordering from their MTO program.

Last edited:

TomTom

Reaction score
Actually, for now, I don't think Suit Supply has many competitors here in Europe (until Spier & Mackay hopefully establishes a presence here).

Pini Parma is admittedly quite nice: I think their trousers are their strongest point. However, I'm not too impressed by their jackets. The price is significantly higher than Suit Supply (around €500 compared to €250-300), but I don't feel like the fabrics are significantly better. Plus they're both half-canvassed. They also both have the same issue of relatively high buttoning stances. And PP's jackets are even shorter than SS's! On the whole, I'd rather get two SS jackets instead of one PP jacket--otherwise I'd just go MTM.
My gripe with Pini is that their clothes all look like they are made for 5 foot 7 / 175cm short South Italian men .I tried one of their jackets once and I looked like I was wearing a childs jacket. I'm 6foot 3 and quite slim build but that excludes me from their offering. Suit Supply has not been the same value as a couple of years ago but at least they offer clothes in Long.................

tonicab

Reaction score
Pini Parma is more expensive than SuitSupply because Pini Parma is made in Italy.
I have seen several clothing brands better (and more expensive) than Suitsupply, like Berg&Berg, Cavour or Pini Parma.
In sale times, these brands sometimes are cheaper than Suitsupply (no sales, but outlet), but the SS fit for me is better.
I can not speak about S&M because is very dificult and expensive to get in Europe (taxes).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads