• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Turpentine

Reaction score
So there is something puzzling me and I thought all of you gentlemen may be able to help me. Please keep in mind that I am quite a newbie on all this stuff.

Two weeks ago I ordered two Havana jackets from SS, one in 42L (EU:102) and the other in 40L (EU:98). The 40L turned out to be too small, with sleeves too short and too tight once buttoned. The 42L fit me much better.

Anyway, based on this experience I decided to order a full cotton Havana suit from SS, in 42L. I received it today. The fit is completely different than my 42L jacket, it basically fits like the 40L I decided to return (and the pants are too small, but that's another story). So my question is: is it normal that the same model, one as a single jacket and the other as part of a suit, end up fitting so differently? Is it the fact that the suit jacket is fully lined that accounts for the difference? I'm very confused because I thought I had found the right size in the right model, but now I just don't know what to think anymore...

Thanks in advance for your insight.

ScottMC

Reaction score
Why doesn't the US get the Jort collection? The new side tab flannel trousers are exactly what I'm looking for
musicboohoo[1].gif

LeBeef

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So there is something puzzling me and I thought all of you gentlemen may be able to help me. Please keep in mind that I am quite a newbie on all this stuff.

Two weeks ago I ordered two Havana jackets from SS, one in 42L (EU:102) and the other in 40L (EU:98). The 40L turned out to be too small, with sleeves too short and too tight once buttoned. The 42L fit me much better.

Anyway, based on this experience I decided to order a full cotton Havana suit from SS, in 42L. I received it today. The fit is completely different than my 42L jacket, it basically fits like the 40L I decided to return (and the pants are too small, but that's another story). So my question is: is it normal that the same model, one as a single jacket and the other as part of a suit, end up fitting so differently? Is it the fact that the suit jacket is fully lined that accounts for the difference? I'm very confused because I thought I had found the right size in the right model, but now I just don't know what to think anymore...

Thanks in advance for your insight.

Not sure if the lining makes it fit more snug, but maybe just variation from piece to piece? I've ordered a lot of suit supply online and the measurements are usually off by just a little bit.

Also, I just noticed some Havana suits in birdseye that I hadn't seen before. They'll be coming in about a week!

Baked Potato

Reaction score
If you click on "Shop online" at the top of Suitsupply's homepage, the different categories appear with the picture of a blue, checkered three-piece suit. Is that suit sold out or is something not offered on the site yet?

Last edited:

GradSchooler

Reaction score
The US and Canada are terrible for both a limited selection and things frequently being sold out. I hope SuitSupply does something to fix this in the near future now that their NA market is growing.

Turpentine

Reaction score
Not sure if the lining makes it fit more snug, but maybe just variation from piece to piece? I've ordered a lot of suit supply online and the measurements are usually off by just a little bit.

Also, I just noticed some Havana suits in birdseye that I hadn't seen before. They'll be coming in about a week!

I've done some comparisons with another Havana jacket and it looks like indeed the thick pima cotton plus the additional lining explain the difference in fit. It makes the fit more snug, and even gives the impression of shorter sleeves. Returning it, may order it in 44L, we'll see. Still, I'll keep that in mind for the future, even if it implies exploiting SS' great UPS return system...

kashmir

Reaction score
cotton is much much more restrictive than wool. unless you actually measure them and find a nominal difference, i think just the different material alone can give the impression of one size difference.

Last edited:

Turpentine

Reaction score
Hello all, I thought I'd ask you some feedback on the fit of two Havana jackets. I don't know too much about "how" it should fit and whether some alterations would be welcome.

I am thinking of returning the first one, but I wanted your feedback first. Plus, I'm slightly worried that sizing up will not be optimal either (and I'd have to wait anyway since the size is not available right now). Anyway. It's a Havana Navy Plain C757 in 40L (the size suggested by SS). I love the feel of the material, but the sleeves are too short IMHO, its tight fit looks nice when the jacket is unbuttoned but I think it pulls too much at the front once buttoned. Only a thinner sweater could be comfortably worn between the shirt and the jacket.

The second one is the Blue Plain (C701) in 42L. It's very comfortable, feels great even with a sweater underneath. It could be maybe a little tighter. My only annoyance is with the lapel on the left side that tends to fold away from my (not very prominent) chest when the jacket is buttoned.

I'm very much looking forward to your views on the fit of the jackets, particularly about the navy one. Thanks!

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hello all, I thought I'd ask you some feedback on the fit of two Havana jackets. I don't know too much about "how" it should fit and whether some alterations would be welcome. I am thinking of returning the first one, but I wanted your feedback first. Plus, I'm slightly worried that sizing up will not be optimal either (and I'd have to wait anyway since the size is not available right now). Anyway. It's a Havana Navy Plain C757 in 40L (the size suggested by SS). I love the feel of the material, but the sleeves are too short IMHO, its tight fit looks nice when the jacket is unbuttoned but I think it pulls too much at the front once buttoned. Only a thinner sweater could be comfortably worn between the shirt and the jacket. The second one is the Blue Plain (C701) in 42L. It's very comfortable, feels great even with a sweater underneath. It could be maybe a little tighter. My only annoyance is with the lapel on the left side that tends to fold away from my (not very prominent) chest when the jacket is buttoned. I'm very much looking forward to your views on the fit of the jackets, particularly about the navy one. Thanks!
The 40 is clearly too small and too tight. On both coats, button only the top button. The 42 looks much better. I would not make it any tighter. My only concern is the length of the coat. It seems to be just barely covering the "seat". There is a gap in the collar of the 42. Maybe, unfastening the bottom button will fix this. Also, pull, tug, the lapels down and see if it makes for a neater look. Good luck!

Last edited:

Turpentine

Reaction score
The 40 is clearly too small and too tight.
On both coats, button only the top button.
The 42 looks much better. I would not make it any tighter.
My only concern is the length of the coat. It seems to be just barely covering the "seat".
There is a gap in the collar of the 42. Maybe, unfastening the bottom button will fix this. Also, pull, tug, the lapels down and see if it makes for a neater look. Good luck!
Thanks for your comments, clarinetplayet. They basically confirm what I thought.

Just one question: when you say "gap in the collar", you mean that it does not fit snug agains the shirt collar?

Thanks again.

Ironballs

Reaction score
Yes, that's what it means. It's not very noticeable when the shirt is unbuttoned at the top. There are multiple causes for this, but I would not say it's a deal breaker with that jacket, it looks quite ok otherwise. Maybe a bit short in the seat, but the Havana is a bit on the shorter side anyway. We're talking about about 0.5-1" too short.

edit: I meant to say it's NOT a deal breaker.

Last edited:

evansc4

Reaction score

New Havana jacket, sleeves obviously need to be shortened but the rest isn't too bad. Anyone think this is worth keeping?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodhpur