• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tilesomoole

Reaction score
Agreed. So lazy and half-assing every attempt at a reply, that they come off as rude and/or plain dumb.

They are barely cheaper than local tailors and good MTM-services, that I see no reason to use SuSu anymore.

I can hardly stand to be in the same room with the reps at my closest store. They have never once replied to any email or phone call (with the exception of one store manager after the experience I mentioned on this thread a while back).

Of all the companies I've tried, though, SS did get me the best fit on any jacket I've ever had. This includes sending one of SS's MTM jackets off for replication. The result was ok, but not nearly as good as what I sent in. To be fair, I'm a little picky with jacket fit but SS has my fit down perfectly and that's hard to ignore when shopping for another suit of sport coat.

For now, the benefits of SS outweigh the downsides, especially since I don't have to go to their store any more to get a pretty much perfect fit, and with others you're risking 800+ dollars on something that in all likelihood will need to be altered if it's wearable at all.

I'll keep looking, but my fall refresh this year will have to include a SS flannel.

joekono

Reaction score
I fell in love with SuSu back around 2014. I felt and still feel that as long as you know your fabrics i.e. VBC, plus almost 100% of their suits being floating half canvas, they are a great buy IF you have your OWN tailor. I know these days it's a dying trade but as some one who has 19 of their suits, I buy my size and know that it will be an extra $25-$75 bucks for a perfect fit. You have to also study the different cuts(Lazio, Napoli i.e.) and buy accordingly then it's off to my tailor. By way, Men's Wearhouse has an outside tailoring program that may be helpful but that being said, I've never been in an actual SuSu store and I would be very angry if I find a suit I want, and it needs "free" tailoring, it better fit right. Maybe my never being in a store helps me because I would be pissed spending good money and having some sales person treat me like a jerk. I also am lucky enough to have a Bespoke store near me that has made 3 suits for me(some fabrics are hard to find) and there's nothing like it. I paid $1600 for my favorite suit in the world and $1300 for the other two. Both FULL canvas and I love the fact that I have to wait a while and not get into instant gratification that many seem to want these days. I don't think that works in the suit world. I told you what I paid for my bespoke suits because I do notice that SuSu is starting to raise their pricing across the board. Most of my 19 suits from going back to 2014 are under $600. Many were bought during the sales they had and I was lucky enough to snag a JORT blue pinstripe for half price(full canvas). In closing, you can still get a great suit from SuSu, great materials, half canvas, different cuts. I just found it easier to put the fitting IN MY HANDS and go to a tailor. I have also sent a few suits right back if something was wrong i.e. didn't look right, or I knew it couldn't be tailored, sometimes I got a refund, sometimes a different size or cut but the return process was always easy.

St1X

Reaction score
almost 100% of their suits being floating half canvas
And this is the biggest problem with their items. Half canvas suits are in reality fused. Having a full canvas suit wouldn't cost them much more, but in the last few years there's been hardly any full canvas items released. And their MTM program is now rivaling bespoke prices, but not quality

joekono

Reaction score
And this is the biggest problem with their items. Half canvas suits are in reality fused. Having a full canvas suit wouldn't cost them much more, but in the last few years there's been hardly any full canvas items released. And their MTM program is now rivaling bespoke prices, but not quality
St1X, you can have have half canvassed without the glue and SuSu uses a floating chest piece sewn in with horsehair instead of glue. I totally agree with you to steer clear of the glue. I learned that early in my love of suits. The suit gets these "bubbles" look on the material when wet(caught in a storm) and I actually tore the suit to see what the deal was and saw the glue. This was a lesson learned. I've had SuSu suits since 2014 most half canvassed, a few full and there's a big difference. Unfortunately, full canvas is more involved to make plus the fact that you bought up that SuSu doesn't give you a lot of full canvas choices unless you go custom. Also, glued suits usually bubble up after 3-5 year years anyway, none of my half canvassed SuSus have that at all(and I steam my suits from time to time). I also agree, I'm not happy with their price hikes. I'm just going to go Bespoke but I think I've reached or am close to the suit finish line. Hehe.

🙂

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How does Brescia fir vs Sienna and Havana?

Brescia is just a model of pants that used to come with the Lazio/Havana/Sienna suits.

There is no Brescia suit, regardless of what some places (Nordstrom is bad about this) will tell you.

gonnagetmine

Reaction score
Question about the custom program.

When I try to create a custom jacket online, and start with the Washington model (which fits perfectly), when I get to the size, it's clear that it's not really the Washington pattern, just the specific set of features like peak lapels but on their Havana base model.

What I'm trying to create is an exact Washington fit (length, chest, waist, armhole, sleeve pitch, sleeve taper, etc.) but with features such as notch lapel, unstructured spalla camicia shoulders, etc.

Are they able to accurately do this in-person? I don't want some rep just measuring me or adjusting some numbers as a guess, as I've done that with their trousers without success. I'd like the exact Washington pattern.

Appreciate any input.

joekono

Reaction score
Question about the custom program.

When I try to create a custom jacket online, and start with the Washington model (which fits perfectly), when I get to the size, it's clear that it's not really the Washington pattern, just the specific set of features like peak lapels but on their Havana base model.

What I'm trying to create is an exact Washington fit (length, chest, waist, armhole, sleeve pitch, sleeve taper, etc.) but with features such as notch lapel, unstructured spalla camicia shoulders, etc.

Are they able to accurately do this in-person? I don't want some rep just measuring me or adjusting some numbers as a guess, as I've done that with their trousers without success. I'd like the exact Washington pattern.

Appreciate any input.
I'm not sure about the SuSu "in store" experience but when I ordered a custom suit from them, there's that pull down menu with the different Profiles of jacket you want. I usually go Lazio or Napoli and it came out fine but knowing that the Washington is a slimmer cut and has different elements, I understand your concern. When doing it online the key is when you make your changes, keep your eye on the 2.5 button feature, if that disappears, then I would be concerned. However, if your in the store and have a Washington suit, they should be able to take measurements off of that. As my post says above(#24,872), I have my own tailor and am lucky I do plus there's a Bespoke store not far from my home so I have the luxury of them to fix any issues I have. Anyway, you should be able to say the last sentence to them of your post "
I'd like the exact Washington pattern", and they should be able to do it or it's shame on them.

St1X

Reaction score
St1X, you can have have half canvassed without the glue and SuSu uses a floating chest piece sewn in with horsehair instead of glue. I totally agree with you to steer clear of the glue. I learned that early in my love of suits. The suit gets these "bubbles" look on the material when wet(caught in a storm) and I actually tore the suit to see what the deal was and saw the glue. This was a lesson learned. I've had SuSu suits since 2014 most half canvassed, a few full and there's a big difference. Unfortunately, full canvas is more involved to make plus the fact that you bought up that SuSu doesn't give you a lot of full canvas choices unless you go custom. Also, glued suits usually bubble up after 3-5 year years anyway, none of my half canvassed SuSus have that at all(and I steam my suits from time to time). I also agree, I'm not happy with their price hikes. I'm just going to go Bespoke but I think I've reached or am close to the suit finish line. Hehe.

🙂
D62205F7-C57E-4C04-9749-3A686F39D76A.jpeg

This is a half canvas jacket. You can see a canvas piece and you can see a fusing that runs through the whole front panel. I also have Jort velvet blue dinner jacket that got fusing bubbling. So I took it apartto see what's wrong with it - turned out that not all Jort items are full canvased as I thought before. That jacket had half canvas and even more fusing than the regular jackets have

joekono

Reaction score
View attachment 1829106
This is a half canvas jacket. You can see a canvas piece and you can see a fusing that runs through the whole front panel. I also have Jort velvet blue dinner jacket that got fusing bubbling. So I took it apartto see what's wrong with it - turned out that not all Jort items are full canvased as I thought before. That jacket had half canvas and even more fusing than the regular jackets have
St1X, that is very concerning to me. Like I said , I have 19 of SuSu's suits, one MTM , one Jort, a TUX and the rest half canvassed. All bought between 2014-2018. Now, I do have a few unlined and they seemed fine. NONE, have bubbled up and the fact that you found a JORT that got fusing bubbling is almost/is false advertising in my eyes. I'm not sure how much has changed but you have now made me glad that I'm lucky enough to buy Bespoke now. The argument for half canvass is one thing but full canvass should NEVER be fused. Thanks for the picture. It's a shame because while I admit I'm have OCD when it comes to taking care of my suits(brushing, moth control, steaming instead of dry cleaning), SuSu has been my brand and will continue to do so although I'm at the point where I will buy a few suits Bespoke anyway. I just had a store open near me and will visit it soon and may decide to see how knowledgeable or not they really are. Thanks for the heads up.:fistbump:

St1X

Reaction score
St1X, that is very concerning to me. Like I said , I have 19 of SuSu's suits, one MTM , one Jort, a TUX and the rest half canvassed. All bought between 2014-2018. Now, I do have a few unlined and they seemed fine. NONE, have bubbled up and the fact that you found a JORT that got fusing bubbling is almost/is false advertising in my eyes. I'm not sure how much has changed but you have now made me glad that I'm lucky enough to buy Bespoke now. The argument for half canvass is one thing but full canvass should NEVER be fused. Thanks for the picture. It's a shame because while I admit I'm have OCD when it comes to taking care of my suits(brushing, moth control, steaming instead of dry cleaning), SuSu has been my brand and will continue to do so although I'm at the point where I will buy a few suits Bespoke anyway. I just had a store open near me and will visit it soon and may decide to see how knowledgeable or not they really are. Thanks for the heads up.:fistbump:
Full canvas and unconstructed jackets don't have any fusing. Half canvas jackets have fusing to improve drape. It's not only suitsupply that does this

PSNY

Reaction score
SuSu is my go-to for casual, not for anything else, I bought a Tuxedo from SuSu and it was great, but everything else bespoke, especially traveling tailors in NYC make far more sense, especially when looking at MTM prices. I find SuSu to be cut far too skinny and to be too fashion forward in most cases. There down jackets, parkas, knit wear, and other garments are sublime though!

pomor

Reaction score
I wanted to discuss with you pant durability. I'm not ashamed to admit it but I have several pairs of pants that are only like 60% wool with the rest as polyester with some spandex added for stretch. I'm finding that I've been wearing these a lot, and they've lasted and lasted without much wear showing.

I have given up on wearing Suitsupply pants regularly because not only did I have to take a couple of inches out of the seat for the pant size that would generally fit me just fine. I remember seeing horror pictures from the past in this thread where people had so much wear in the crotch area just from wearing the trousers a few times. I'm starting to think that they probably fit the wearer too tightly to begin with. I've been going for a more classic look with much more drape than Suitsupply would like. When I sit down and then get up, I don't feel like my pants are going to rip. Honestly, the whole tight fit look needs to be left in the past as an experimental phase, but I feel like a lot of people nowadays go for that look as the default.

Davidos

Reaction score
Have someone experience with adjusting the hip width in the size passport?
I bought a pair of CM trousers that needed more room in the front by the pleats/hip. How much difference does "+1:0 increase slightly" make?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads