• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ACMAR

Reaction score
Over the past month and a half I have had pretty full exposure to the SS experience and learned quite a bit.

Overall, I am very happy with my purchases, and was impressed by their customer service and business model. Yes, there are some kinks to work out, but I think we are fortunate to have in this day and age such an intersection of price to quality/service.

I ended up with four suits (3 Napoli, 1 Sienna), two purchased in store and two from the outlet. I was on the hunt to revamp my suit wardrobe due to recent weight loss, more frequent work meetings, and the poor quality (Boss) and selection at my usual go to Nordstrom (though they have GREAT service).

Quality and Fit
  • Construction-wise, the suits are head and shoulders above others in the price range and the fabrics are high quality with interesting patterns and textures, even on the plainer suits.
  • Napoli and Sienna fits were pretty similar with the differences noted (mostly shoulder and slight differences in jacket length).
  • @ 5' 11" 160 lbs both of these cuts require no alternation on me with a 36R (a size smaller than I usually wear). I may end up lengthening the sleeves a bit, but with the finished bottoms I was able to wear two suits the day after purchasing.
  • I find the number of cuts confusing and it was helpful for me to narrow it down to the two above. SS could do a much better job of comparing the various cuts they offer. Online you need to go one by one to look at the measurements, and I found some that were just totally wrong (e.g. Sienna sleeve length).
  • I really like the ties and think they are priced well. Interesting patterns, textures, widths.
  • I didn't find the other clothes to my taste, nor did I think the price/quality ratio was the same as the suits. The outerwear coats seemed nice, but again, didn't seem all that special vs. other choices.
  • Tip: It is hard to tell patterns/textures on the website. Get to a store to check them out. If that isn't possible, the zoom function is your friend. Some of the pictures are taken so far away that you can't tell the pattern until you zoom. Also, many of the fabrics are available in different colors - once you know what 1 looks/feels like it will help when looking at other options.
  • Tip: Spend the time getting familiar with the fit and features of the various cuts and narrow it down to a few.
Store experience
  • Have been to Philly, DC, and NY (Madison) stores
  • All were great, albeit different experiences.
  • Service was attentive, though style and knowledge varied greatly. The Philly associate (Tory?), was fantastic - good mix of knowledge, friendliness, helpful, etc. The NY associate (Josh) was super nice, but very young and I didn't think his opinion was credible. DC (Joyce) was somewhere in the middle. Overall I would say they were 3 parts helpful and 1 part sales-y
  • I didn't have much tailoring done, but the lead times varied greatly between store from same day to a few days. One of the associates was suggesting a ton of alterations, which made me a bit nervous, especially when he said he would do the measurements.
  • Tip: Know what you want/need and stick to it or you can be led astray by a cool suit you will never wear.
  • Tip: The inventory at the stores varied considerably, from each other and the web site. Also, I would say that 3/4 of the time, when I asked for a suit in my size that wasn't on the rack they were able to find it in the back. So ask!
Outlet
  • Clearly the outlet was an experiment/pilot and there were lots of issues to be worked out.
  • I ordered 3 suits. 2 came from EU, 1 came from NJ. Once they made it to NJ, I received them in 2 days.
  • There were lots of errors on the site - inaccurate quantities available, items posted but not available to purchase, wrong tracking numbers. In fact, after the outlet closed I was able to go back and order a suit I had looked at and it was delivered in just a few days (yay!). I tried with another, and it was no longer available (boo!)
  • Prices were amazing and if you are armed with knowing the sizes/cuts from a store visit, your experience is bound to be better
  • Tip: Visit a store and keep track of your sizes/cuts preferences. Will make your online/outlet experience all the better.
Online / Customer Service
  • So nice to call and have a person pick up the phone. Twice they called me back to confirm information with me. Amazing.
  • Once I called on a Saturday during hours they say they are open and no one ever answered. Even after calling 10 times in a few hours.
  • Email took 4 days to respond. Person clearly had English as a second language. While well-intended, wasn't helpful.
  • All mailed items were well packed. Hangers and suitbags are of a higher quality than from other stores.
  • Tip: If you have an issue call, don't email.

Last edited:

devo666

Reaction score

A lot of people would recommend to get a navy suit as your first one for biz professional, but darker grey (like a charcoal) is probably fine too. If you really wanted grey for the suit, the Napoli grey faux-uni looks fine and the Napoli grey plain would probably be alright too although it's a little lighter. I would avoid the Napoli Antra pinstripe; you usually don't want pinstripes for your first suit (or second - although, those pinstripes don't stand out that much). Avoid the Washington cut in your first link for now - peak lapels are less business professional/conservative and people might think they're "showy."

For the blazer, if you're just getting one, I might look for something a little plainer than the one you linked. I think the jacket you linked is rad, but the texture looks winter-ish and the color seems a little lighter than you might want if you're only getting one (might just be the weave/texture of the wool that makes the color look like that). In general, navy or darker grey (but not black) with simpler textures is what you think of when you want stuff to wear in a professional environment, and a simple navy jacket or suit will be really versatile when you're building full outfits and wearing in different seasons.

Regarding the picture, I just meant that after you order and receive a suit, there are threads on style forum where you can post pictures wearing the suit and knowledgeable members of the forum can critique how it fits you.

ACMAR

Reaction score
A lot of people would recommend to get a navy suit as your first one for biz professional, but darker grey (like a charcoal) is probably fine too. If you really wanted grey for the suit, the Napoli grey faux-uni looks fine and the Napoli grey plain would probably be alright too although it's a little lighter. I would avoid the Napoli Antra pinstripe; you usually don't want pinstripes for your first suit (or second - although, those pinstripes don't stand out that much). Avoid the Washington cut in your first link for now - peak lapels are less business professional/conservative and people might think they're "showy."

For the blazer, if you're just getting one, I might look for something a little plainer than the one you linked. I think the jacket you linked is rad, but the texture looks winter-ish and the color seems a little lighter than you might want if you're only getting one (might just be the weave/texture of the wool that makes the color look like that). In general, navy or darker grey (but not black) with simpler textures is what you think of when you want stuff to wear in a professional environment, and a simple navy jacket or suit will be really versatile when you're building full outfits and wearing in different seasons.

Regarding the picture, I just meant that after you order and receive a suit, there are threads on style forum where you can post pictures wearing the suit and knowledgeable members of the forum can critique how it fits you.

The faux uni is really a perfect shade of darker grey. I just tried it on last weekend. I ended up with the lighter plain one you linked to because I had other suits in that shade. There is also a navy version - napoli blue plain - with the Reda wool. I got that too and is a great balance of conservative with a little something special (the texture). Napoli and Sienna are my go to cuts for my more conservative work place.

Kyle Rogers

Reaction score
The shirts listed on their website change almost daily. I've tried to order shirts online and had them tell me that the shirt is not actually available. Then once a shirt I really wanted was taken down, but I called, gave them the order number, and the they shipped me one right away. A full two months later that shirt was finally re-listed on their website.

I also noticed that when the outlet website was briefly up, under knitwear they listed a lot of the fabrics wrong. A bunch said "cotton cashmere" in the description, but then when you zoomed in on the picture it said "pure cotton" on the label. Last time I looked at the dimensions, it looked like they had the pants waist sizes completely screwed up for the Sienna and the La Spalla models.

I will say this. Their shirts with the "cutaway" collars have the best collars of shirts I've ever seen. I don't know why the whole fashion industry isn't copying them. The curved cutaway is the best. They have at least four different versions of the cutaway.

Sprezziamo

Reaction score
The faux uni is really a perfect shade of darker grey. I just tried it on last weekend. I ended up with the lighter plain one you linked to because I had other suits in that shade. There is also a navy version - napoli blue plain - with the Reda wool. I got that too and is a great balance of conservative with a little something special (the texture). Napoli and Sienna are my go to cuts for my more conservative work place.

Reda is also better than other SS's main suppliers (Angelico and VBC). It's probably on par with Barbera and Thomas.

Unfortunately, the Napoli cut doesn't work for me, I tried changing size and length, but they'd all require massive alterations. Which is really sad, since it's the cut with the most conservative colours and patterns.

khim

Reaction score
well, i finally took the plunge after lurking here on and off - getting tempted over and over again.
i've ordered the napoli in two sizes and they are arriving today. so let's hope either one fits with a little alteration.
cheers

Gaudy

Reaction score
Recently had this Napoli suit come in the mail, got to say I really liked the material and the fit as well, sadly I felt the sleeves where too short and the chest just a tiny bit too tight, thus I decided to return it.

Please ignore the shirt, it's just something a threw on since I like it's sleeve length.

This is a size 46 regular I'm 182 cm tall, 39,5 inch chest, 29 upper waist, 30.5 inches lower for some perspective.

ACMAR

Reaction score
I am not seeing a chest issue, but maybe it was a feel issue. I think the sleeves could be increased up to 3/4" at the cuff without doing it from the shoulder. I am a 46 Napoli and have generally the same dimensions as you.

Gaudy

Reaction score
I am not seeing a chest issue, but maybe it was a feel issue. I think the sleeves could be increased up to 3/4" at the cuff without doing it from the shoulder. I am a 46 Napoli and have generally the same dimensions as you.

Yea, the chest issue isn't really visible in the picture, however it was clearly visible when I walked or moved my torso about. I have been considering trying the Lazio fit in 48 but the shoulders will probably be way to narrow.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I don't know man....looks pretty good to me.

+1

It's hard to tell sometimes with pictures like these, but looked like a good fit.

khim

Reaction score
hi guys, need advice on whether the napoli cut suits me.
and if yes, which size and alterations to make.

34R
I'm a 36 in other labels but this 34 fits nicely in the shoulders.
But are the sleeves too short to fix?
How about the trousers? They feel a little tight and there are horizontal creases. I'm a size 31-32.

36R
Do the shoulders still look a decent fit?
(I'm still wearing the 34 trousers)

Also, are there some issues with the fit at the back for both size?

cheers

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads