• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

crazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have seen stuff from 3-4 years ago (not seasons) to make its way to the outlet. Presumablly, this summer’s outlet will feature stuff from 2014-2017. They often do repeats. It seems like they never completely get rid of some stock — things you thought sold out ages ago suddenly come back. It is almost as if the main warehouse in the Netherlands requests all stores around the world to ship their unsold inventory back to them, and it takes months for some stores to follow through. The physical stores themselves never have sales (unlike most other chains — correct me if I am wrong.). So when the outlet opens, it is “that” stock that came back to the warehouse(s) or never left it (low-selling items) that end up in the online outlet.

I think it’s important to note that these are not the so-called “everything must go” sales. The outlet is usually open for one week (give or take a day), so when it closes, and you forgot and couldn’t order something, you may have another chance in 6 months. Also, it wouldn’t hurt to write them a message to see if they can track down an item that you thought was long sold out. They often can find things like that — one of mine ended up coming to me that was an item from a physical store in Miami that was the only one of its kind left in my size. It was shipped to me like a normal item. It looked quite new (as you might guess, some of these end up being returns that take a while for SS to process and return back into retail circulation if they deem them sellable)

thank you for your reply. this is enlightening since they don't usually have normal sales, like you said, these are low sale volume items. It most probably will be more miss than hit. or finding a diamond in a haystack

Last edited:

The Dirk

Reaction score
thank you for your reply. this is enlightening since they don't usually have normal sales, like you said, this is low sale volume items. It most probably will be more miss than hit. or finding a diamond in a haystack
They usually have a few nice items that go up. I bought a nice navy all season Hartford at the last sale, and a nice light grey birdseye washington at the sale before that. Also got a few nice shirts and a couple ties. Just have to be diligent and watch as items are added.

q1445

Reaction score
A couple thoughts on the outlet, as the sale conversation gathers momentum. I have purchased multiple items, from each outlet sale over the last few years. I have come to the understanding that the items purchased will most likely be outlet quality. Suits typically are already altered, pants hemmed, waists taken in or out. Ties have small frays or runs. Shirts and pants can have small pen marks, runs, or imperfections. Knit items can have snags. Nothing too terrible, but it can be a bit frustrating if you are expecting perfection. I usually pick up a few ties and at least one is always labeled completely wrong so I end up with a tie I did not want. Suitsupply has always been happy to work with me and has refunded me on any returns. I have also received items that were new and flawless. I think their clothing is a great deal at the outlet pricing, and I will continue to make purchases from upcoming sales. Just a PSA so you know what you are purchasing.

q1445

Reaction score
Will suitsupply in house tailors alter a jacket from a different brand?

At my local Suitsupply they are happy to alter other garments, but they get a low priority. They typically alter their stuff within a couple days. Some times within a couple hours or as you wait. Outside items I am usually told that it will be a week or so.

Kimistry

Reaction score
A couple thoughts on the outlet, as the sale conversation gathers momentum. I have purchased multiple items, from each outlet sale over the last few years. I have come to the understanding that the items purchased will most likely be outlet quality. Suits typically are already altered, pants hemmed, waists taken in or out. Ties have small frays or runs. Shirts and pants can have small pen marks, runs, or imperfections. Knit items can have snags. Nothing too terrible, but it can be a bit frustrating if you are expecting perfection. I usually pick up a few ties and at least one is always labeled completely wrong so I end up with a tie I did not want. Suitsupply has always been happy to work with me and has refunded me on any returns. I have also received items that were new and flawless. I think their clothing is a great deal at the outlet pricing, and I will continue to make purchases from upcoming sales. Just a PSA so you know what you are purchasing.

This hasn't been my experience at all. All of the items I've purchased, and I've purchased quite a lot, have been perfectly fine (except for one tie that they quickly replaced). And I've purchased a lot from the outlet (Jort suits, jackets, shirts, you name it).

q1445

Reaction score
I must just have bad luck. I have pursched 6-7 suits. All but 1 were hemmed to someone else measurements. Buttons on multiple jackets and pants were stretched and just about to fall off. Probably 5-6 shirts most had imperfections in stitching or some sort of ink marks on them. 20+ ties, most had small flaws of threads, runs, slight fraying. A pair of khakis thet had an odd seam/or thread that ran the length of one leg. A summer sweater that had some piling and a small snag. Once again all stuff I could live with or easily correct. Most were items that if I would have looked at and tried on in a retail store, I would have simply switched it out for the next one on the rack. At the price things are, and knowing that they can’t just exchange them (limited stock) I usually just deal with the small issues rather than take a refund. I am glad some of your luck has been better than mine. I make sure to factor in the “outlet condition” with all my sale purchases and that keep me from being disappointed.

Suits_or_Death

Reaction score
I must just have bad luck. I have pursched 6-7 suits. All but 1 were hemmed to someone else measurements. Buttons on multiple jackets and pants were stretched and just about to fall off. Probably 5-6 shirts most had imperfections in stitching or some sort of ink marks on them. 20+ ties, most had small flaws of threads, runs, slight fraying. A pair of khakis thet had an odd seam/or thread that ran the length of one leg. A summer sweater that had some piling and a small snag. Once again all stuff I could live with or easily correct. Most were items that if I would have looked at and tried on in a retail store, I would have simply switched it out for the next one on the rack. At the price things are, and knowing that they can’t just exchange them (limited stock) I usually just deal with the small issues rather than take a refund. I am glad some of your luck has been better than mine. I make sure to factor in the “outlet condition” with all my sale purchases and that keep me from being disappointed.

I now use a credit card with return protections on it for these purchases. The first few outlet purchase I made (Summer 2016) were great. Since then, It seems I almost always getting something that is defective. R sizes with super long sleeves which then have to be shortened from the shoulder. Buttons falling off (though the store will usually fix that for free). Pants with a noticeably lower rise from the standard.

They really should make it more clear that some of the items are factory defects, not just old stock.

notdos

Reaction score
It seems pretty clear to me that it’s sold as-is so I buy understanding there are no returns. That’s their policy.
SuSu Outlet is made up of NOS, defects, altered returns and pre-worn. The reason it’s so cheap is it comes with risk.

Phillip

orinwarf

Reaction score
Out of the dozen or more suits and jackets I've purchased through the biannual outlet sale, I've had 3 that were disappointing. A jacket with one sleeve a 0.75 inches longer than the other, a Havana suit with sleeves about 1.5 inches longer than on any prior Havana I've had in the same size, etc. It can be quite the risk, but the prices are difficult to beat.

zanci

Reaction score
Just asked on the susu site live chat if the EU outlet is going to be open this year and they just said they dont know and I should just check email for promotions....

monkeynuts

Reaction score

No it is not bad luck. I have had same experience with outlet items. One year I bought around 6 Havana jackets in the same size (this was well before they renamed all the cuts to be Havana), and there were significant differences in sleeve length, overall coat length, etc. I have not had the same degree of variability with my in store, non outlet purchases.

BlairW

Reaction score
Anyone got a Jort 3 roll 2 jacket? Have one that I've had the top button reattached on and I want to see the type of stitch used? Can the stitch be seen on the lapel roll?

Vinsep

Reaction score
Anyone got a Jort 3 roll 2 jacket? Have one that I've had the top button reattached on and I want to see the type of stitch used? Can the stitch be seen on the lapel roll?
No, unlike the bottom two, it can't be seen. Same cross stitching though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads