• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suits: What's a step above Target, Wal-Mart, JC Penney etc...

tshaw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TyroneFig
Forgive me for being poor, but I want to buy a suit and/or sport jacket just for my own reasons, nothing in particular. I wear a $10 clearance dress shirt at work and people look at me for being weird and way overdressed.

I'm pretty sure JC Penney and maybe even Kohls would be a step above Target and Wal-Mart, but what's a step above JC Penney? I don't know of any other stores or where people usually shop for suits.

Maybe something between $200-400?

Tyrone,

Unbelievably, but Jos. Banks is having a sale everyday. Register for their email listserv and you will be surprised at the values they are, literally, throwing your way. Bought a brand new topcoat for $179.00! and they had a buy 1, get 2 free sale of sports coats & suits. NOW is the time to act, esp. before the holiday!

T

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChrisLiu
A setup from target and walmart? I suggest you checking out a Off Fifth avenue outlet, you can sometimes find brands like hugo boss, cole haan, kennith cole, michael kors, etc etc those level of brands for around 3-400. other than that, its christmas season a lot of stores have 40% off.

I would argue that, for the dollar, that Target and H&M suits are a better buy than the other above-mentioned fashion brands.

The fashion houses mark up their lower end suits based on their name alone. Target suits are generally constructed in a very similar matter and are of similar quality.

I would wait until you can find something in your size on the Buy and Sell Forum here. I've purchased the majority of my suiting there, all of it excellent. We have very reputable sellers here, so no worries about getting boned, unlike a sleezy salesman working on commission or a unscrupulous eBay seller.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe I should avoid the price tag, brand name issues and worry more about visible quality. How do I tell the difference between good suits? what looks good and what doesn't?

Some thing that fits your body type well. you can spend more and if it doesn't fit you right it'll look worse.

Don't listen to the brands from everybody here. Try some things on. Look in the mirror. Try many.

phillyesq

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Liberty Ship
+1 on Bank. Whatever the list price, you can always get it for half of that, often less.

It doesn't get a lot of love here, but I would also recommend Jos A Bank. Their suits aren't the nicest, but if you want a conservative staple suit that is well with your price range, they are a good starting place.

I would recommend going to an actual store for your first suit, rather than buying something online. You get to try things on, somebody will work with you on fit, etc.

Another option is Brooks Brothers. At their semi-annual sale, you can get their 1818 suits for about $500, and you can get some of their other suits for something in the $350ish range.

armorarmylt

Reaction score
tyrone ..... i would definitely do ebay, all 3 suits that i own, a Louis Vuitton(black) Burberry(blue) and Gucci(gray/charcoal,kindasorta) i bought on ebay for 475, 300 and 150! respectively, they fit impeccably and the only alterations i ever had to do was let out the waist and inseam shortening, trust me, I bought suits from macys for as much as 300 dollars, they do not even come close to any of these suits which retailed for way more as you could imagine. GO TO EBAY!

mickey711

Reaction score
Maybe I should avoid the price tag, brand name issues and worry more about visible quality. How do I tell the difference between good suits? what looks good and what doesn't?
It's usually the fit and fabric. You should get a suit in staple colors like charcoal or navy, and a high thread count (at least 100) . The higher the thread count, the finer the fabric. Zara and H&M offer fashionable suits at affordable prices, but the quality isn't that great and they usually don't last very long (~1-2 years), so unless you wear suits infrequently, I'd advise against it. Thick As Thieves might be your best bet. You can get a well-fitting, quality MTM suit for around 4 Benjamins. Ebay is also a great place to buy suits (usually pre-owned) for well below retail prices.

jo-fu

Reaction score
Most important is that it fits well. An expensive suit still looks like crap if it doesn't fit. Most off the rack is cut boxy with big arm holes. If this fits you, you're in luck.

Also, a $200 suit from TJMaxx/Marshalls/thrift store/etc with $150 woth of tailoring work will look better then most anything you could get for $350 off the rack at macys.

Go with dark gray or charcoal.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of the brick & mortar stores, I'd place JAB and Macy's as the next step up from JCP. I personally would rate JAB a bit higher than Macy's--at least the clothes are more to my taste. The JAB Signature Gold suits at 70% off, as they not infrequently are, strike me as very decent values, better than what you are likely to find at a Saks Off-5th at 30% off.

In all, if I had to rate B&M clothing chains (that I'm familiar with), it would run something like this:

1. Neiman-Marcus
2. Saks Fifth-Avenue

3. Bloomingdales
4. Brooks Brothers
5. Nordstrom

6. Jos. A. Bank
7. Macy's

8. J.C. Penney

9. Men's Warehouse

I have separated by spaces those that I think are pretty much in the same ballpark. I left out Wal-Mart since I have rarely been inside a Wal-Mart. I don't want to be too judgemental in this matter. Some of JCP's underwear is excellent, for example, and I find some of Target's casual clothes (khakis, polos, etc.) excellent values.

DoTheGrownup

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
1. Neiman-Marcus
2. Saks Fifth-Avenue

3. Bloomingdales
4. Brooks Brothers
5. Nordstrom

6. Jos. A. Bank
7. Macy's

8. J.C. Penney

9. Men's Warehouse

I have separated by spaces those that I think are pretty much in the same ballpark. I left out Wal-Mart since I have rarely been inside a Wal-Mart. I don't want to be too judgemental in this matter. Some of JCP's underwear is excellent, for example, and I find some of Target's casual clothes (khakis, polos, etc.) excellent values.

I have a Merona Premium Suit from Target and an Alfani suit from Macy's, and I think they are about the same, quality-wise (as in not great, but pretty decent). The Target suit cost $125 and the Alfani retails around $300 (I think) although they are always on sale. I got the Target suit when I needed a black suit for a wedding, and I have definitely gotten my money's worth. Plus they come as separates which can ease the alterations costs.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^I have one Alfani suit that I bought exactly 10 years ago. For what it is, it isn't bad, although it's nothing I'd buy today. I'd have to rate it as distinctly superior to any Target Merona suit I've looked at. Some people have said the quality of Macy's goods has declined within the past decade, and this may account for the disparity between your assessment and mine.

Ruppan

Reaction score
Coming out of lurking and casting another vote for ebay, but there are a few caveats. You have to know your sizes intimately and make sure to buy from a vendor that accepts returns. I've often seen Zegnas and Hickey Freemans go for less than $300 and some of those were new.

If this is your only/main suit, I would recommend a solid navy for its versatility.

CrimProf

Reaction score
Hickey Freeman is a week away from its semiannual warehouse sale, in case you're anywhere near Rochester starting on 12/10. I picked up one of their Madison suits for <$500.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads