• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suggested Black Captoe Shoes - POAL

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
JL City II
city2_profil.jpg
JL Phillip II
oddFQDb7dpk1y08du5o2GFpjo1_500.jpg
C&J Hallam
hall5057br01.jpg
C&J Audley
Audley-Black.jpg

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
I've always been a big fan of the EG Canterbury in black. The u-throat brogueing is not as traditional, but makes it more fun IMO. Here are mine on the 888 last:

EG_Canterbury.jpg

^ Nice Canterbury. I also like the Lichfield.

Originally Posted by r_fine
EG Pelham is a plain cap toe with the slight twist of having U throat. Like the Canterbury above but without the punching.

Pelham:
100_3366.jpg

100_3372.jpg

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've got most of the shoes in the poll and besides my bespoke Cleverleys, my favorite is the Vass, but on the F not the U last. My second choice would be EG Chelsea on 202. The Lobbs are nice but lack the classic quality of the other two.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am certainly digging those pelhams. May now be top of the list, if I can find them on discount. Is that on the 888 or a different last?

AP - thought about the Vass F last. Never tried it, however. Any idea how they fit compared to the U and comparative sizing?

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
I am certainly digging those pelhams. May now be top of the list, if I can find them on discount. Is that on the 888 or a different last?

AP - thought about the Vass F last. Never tried it, however. Any idea how they fit compared to the U and comparative sizing?

T-

I take a half size smaller in F than U. I'm an 8.5D US and I take 41.5 in U and 41 in F.

Here are mine...

vass2.jpg

vass3.jpg

vass4.jpg

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good thread. I'd like to add the C&J Handgrade Belgrave (in black) on 337 last, although it is not one of the options:

CJBelgrave.jpg

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hey aportnoy, how do the pelhams fit compare to the peerings? Also, what you think about the chelsea's on the 82 last?

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
Good thread. I'd like to add the C&J Handgrade Belgrave (in black) on 337 last, although it is not one of the options:

+1

I was going to suggest these as soon as I read the thread title. I find the punched cap is more interesting than the Audley.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are the plain captoes better than punched captoes with suits? If you were to buy one pair that would be dressy enough to be worn with suits but versatile enough to be dressed down, would you go for the plain or punched captoe (in black)?

mg428

Reaction score
If money is a concern I highly recommend that you check Alfred Sargent's Aldeburgh from their Premiere Line. I wear US 10D, and picked UK 9EE. Aldeburgh is made on 106 last, a norrower last, and comes with a slightly narrower width (EE) than its standard width (F). If you have a tad norrow feet especially, I highly recommend.

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few pics from the Stefano Bemer/Valextra captoes from fs. Shame they didn't fit right, very nice shoes.
img0918hw.jpg
img0916i.jpg
Also, pic of the Lobb City II's from the fs forum... I really like these
wi9c0p.jpg

emptym

Reaction score
I have plain stich Aldens and think they're great. My brother has the Lobbs, but they've never made me jealous.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley

888. They're teh sechs!

Originally Posted by aportnoy
Here are mine...

vass3.jpg

Oh ****, is that wear on the soles?
tounge.gif
worship.gif

Originally Posted by mkarim
Good thread. I'd like to add the C&J Handgrade Belgrave (in black) on 337 last, although it is not one of the options

Originally Posted by sartort
+1

I was going to suggest these as soon as I read the thread title. I find the punched cap is more interesting than the Audley.

+2 Love my PRL Bentons!

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was going to suggest black Belgraves too (one of only 2 black pair I own), but OP seems to want something dead plain, captoe. Belgraves are great and versatile , but less punch is more conservative.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads