• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suggested Black Captoe Shoes - POAL

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked Vass U Old English plain cap:

p1030472du2.jpg

Seamless heel counter gives it a very clean look:
p1030649fz6.jpg

p1020805po6.jpg

p1030480aqc1.jpg

p1030475jo1.jpg

p1030517vs7.jpg

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
I've got most of the shoes in the poll and besides my bespoke Cleverleys, my favorite is the Vass, but on the F not the U last. My second choice would be EG Chelsea on 202. The Lobbs are nice but lack the classic quality of the other two.
Originally Posted by teddieriley
I am certainly digging those pelhams. May now be top of the list, if I can find them on discount. Is that on the 888 or a different last? AP - thought about the Vass F last. Never tried it, however. Any idea how they fit compared to the U and comparative sizing?
Originally Posted by von Rothbart
I picked Vass U Old English plain cap
Heel/quarter seams/pieces or whatever discount the Vass & Pelhams. Get the Chelsea on the 202 and call it a day. Trust.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As an update, I decided on the Vass F last, Old English plain stich captoe in black with double Reddenbach sole taper to single with a closely trimmed sole. These are several hundred cheaper than the EG's at full retail. Will post pics when I get them.

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you order them direct? how much were they?

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The John Lobb City II got only 3 votes.

It is a classic model versatile and elegant.

I don't get this EG fad...

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar

It's nice enough, but for not being prestige and costing over $1100 US, I rather go with Vass. Now if you know where I can kop for $500, I'd be interested.

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am going to go with a pair of black City II's after going through Valextra and then 888 EG's which didn't work for my feet. I really like the look of the City II's -- not exactly sure why they don't get more love on the forum.

Originally Posted by lasbar

chatty

Reaction score
I know everyone loves the 888, but for a cap toe, I think the 202 works better

A plain cap-toe is a classic-conservative style, which is why I think the rounder toe matches better...imho

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
black captoes = POAL, piece of absolute liability.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As an update, I decided on the Vass F last, Old English plain stich captoe in black with double Reddenbach sole taper to single with a closely trimmed sole. These are several hundred cheaper than the EG's at full retail. Will post pics when I get them.

Just got these in. I may have a new favorite last in the F. Great, conservative looking shoe with style, and just what I wanted in a black captoe - understated elegance. Definitely worth the cash and the wait.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Looking for *the* black captoe shoe to own. I think after acquiring a pair, I'll be set for the next couple of years as far as dress shoes go. While price is a concern, I haven't set a strict budget. Probably should have been the first pair I picked up, but I worked backwards. I have very few formal events that I attend, nor does work require a pair. Not sure if I like the plain stitch or brogued cap, but leaning towards plain stitch.

I'm sure I can't go wrong with any of the poll choices, but interested to hear people's thoughts on what they have and reason for preference. Leaning towards Vass considering the value, but open to other suggestions.

Sutors can be found here http://cgi.ebay.com/New-850-Sutor-Ma...ht_2078wt_1167

Would appreciate if someone can identify the EG model (or models) I should consider.

teddie, i would recommend a pair of Ladbroke w/ HAF sole

edit*
or go with the F last pair that you decided on. both great choices.
good luck on getting the Vass accurately to your order though.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went the EG Chelsea route, but I don't dislike any of your suggestions.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got these in. I may have a new favorite last in the F. Great, conservative looking shoe with style, and just what I wanted in a black captoe - understated elegance. Definitely worth the cash and the wait.

Pics?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads