• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Styling cues from the Royals?

Clench Million

Reaction score
As opposed to emulating the Royals, a bunch of random people who are only revered for their birth-inhereted status? Can't get much more lemming-like than that.

But I think we can all agree that trying desperately to emulate any other person's style is a bad thing.

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Prince Charles is not a fashion icon, thank God. He is a style icon. Fashion icons are transitory and largely irrelevant.

Frog in Suit

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Clench Million
As opposed to emulating the Royals, a bunch of random people who are only revered for their birth-inhereted status? Can't get much more lemming-like than that.

But I think we can all agree that trying desperately to emulate any other person's style is a bad thing.

How about trying to derive an individual style (our own) by borrowing freely from others and adapting our borrowings (which we need never pay back
happy.gif
) to our needs, shape, activities and anything else that make us what we are?
Frog in Suit

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Um, several other people have said the same thing as me and even Orsini, in his last post, said the Royals style "can look to a Yankee or a Continental, as somewhat bland".... which really is as good as saying they look bland to the rest of the world, as continental europe and america are the centers of western fashion.

Why would you need real life pics? This thread is about who designers and the consuming public look to for fashion advice. If someone wants to dress like a hollywood celebrity, they are probably going to base in on pics from Esquire, not paparazzi shots of Clooney scratching his balls while picking up the morning newspaper.

I am very curious to see some pictures of what you like and dislike.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this is the first picture I find on google of prince charles

princecharles_080502.jpg

WTF is with that pinky ring? It is simply tacky. I hope that it is some sort of obligatory, family-crest ring to seal those express-letters sent with a courier...
smile.gif

On the subject of his looks:
1. Wrong color for him. Grey suit makes him look washed out (bleached and pale like an old post stamp)
2. Shoulders look too big for his frame and collar of his jacket runs big.
3. He looks like a tired accountant instead of a prince.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
WTF is with that pinky ring? It is simply tacky.
I noticed that too and was a bit surprised. Possibly HRH is expressing his "sense of individual style" as the other poster had wished...

flatfront

Reaction score
I don't think he (Charles) ever looks that good TBH. He doesn't look bad and everything is traditional but he misses any form of X-factor. Simple, the man has no personal style. You could not get him looking good on a shoestring budget I bet. He just doesn't carry the clothes.
Yes he is well turned out and nothing is wrong per se but I don't look at him and think wow I hope I dress like that when I am his age.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I couldn't agree more with Clench. Charles dresses fine but is limited by his circumstances, while designers aren't. If designers were to ape his style, they would basically be producing inferior garments ("designer wear" can't compete with savile row bespoke).

We all get it, people in this forum like to dress like the duke of windsor. The original poster was asking a different question, (paraphrasing) "should designers be taking their cues from the royals (which really means taking cues from savile row) or should they be taking cues from hollywood celebrities."

I think a lot of people on this thread seem to suffer from reading comprehension.

My response to the original poster, is that the hollywood celebrities (through their stylists' proxy) are following the latest designer trends, so it would be circular for the designer's themselves to be taking cues from hollywood. If Ryan Seacrest is wearing Ozvald Boateng clothes, what would it mean for designers to mimic Seacrest, that they're just ripping off Boateng's work.

thomailama

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Exactly. Leaving aside Clooney's pics in the glossy magazines, none of the "stylish" celebrities dress all that well on an everyday basis.

Pierce Brosnan always looks nice.

khaki sack

Reaction score
The royals are not ,random people, far from it.
plain.gif

As opposed to emulating the Royals, a bunch of random people who are only revered for their birth-inhereted status?

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...English people dress badly...
This is a bit nit-picky, but I would have to disagree with you on this point. The average Briton dresses far better than your average American. Americans are (SF members excepted!
smile.gif
) some of the most slovenly and poorly dressed lot, short of those developing countries hit by natural disasters or famines. If your frame of reference were Italians or the French, I might agree that Britons dress with less flair or verve. And for the record, I'm not English, but Singaporean, so really it isn't about nationalism or any nonsense like that...

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No they shouldn't. Most of those people dress pretty lamely. I don't get the British royals fetishization that goes on here.
After reading through your thread, I'm not really sure where all your angst is coming from. I don't think many of the SF members fetishize royalty. The only fetishization that seems to go on seems to be for Savile Row and bespoke tailoring; this seems somewhat appropriate given that this a men's style forum... It seems to me that you may have picked the wrong place to pick an argument. This forum does tend to focus on more "trad" and tailored clothing; you might get more sympathetic replies if you'd posted your comments in Streetwear. For what it's worth, I don't think the Royals are so much bad dressers as idiosyncratic ones. The Queen's rather umm unusual dresses and hats are case in point. Charles himself doesn't dress badly; he certainly has his own sense of style, although it does tend to be a little bit more conservative, although this is somewhat befitting given his age and station.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads