1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Stuff Styleforvm overrates

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mussel, Sep 28, 2008.

1. bmulford

bmulford Senior member

Are we reading the same forum?

You feel they don't get love? I'm trying to recall (too lazy to actually search) when someone has said something negative about a dress hat - coming up with nothin.

Then again - its all perception. Some folks have posted brands like Omega or H&M being overrated. I'm wondering where that happened myself.

2. bmulford

bmulford Senior member

Are we reading the same forum?
    You feel they don't get love? I'm trying to recall (too lazy to actually search) when someone has said something negative about a dress hat - coming up with nothin. Then again - its all perception. Some folks have posted brands like Omega or H&M being overrated. I'm wondering where that happened myself. ------------------ Disclaimer -------------------------- Just because something is called overrated, it shouldn't necessarily be construed as a criticism. I like the opinions and counter opinions, it opens me up to things I never would have considered myself.

3. Egdon Heath

Egdon Heath Senior member

For what it's worth, I like this thread. Every forum has its biases. There is nothing wrong with this; it's just a reflection of the unique style or culture or history of the forum. As a relative newcomer, a thread like this is extremely valuable. It lets me interpret what I read in a more neutral light and develop a more even-heeled perspective.
    That was very nicely put. I'm agreeing with you too.​
    Being that my shell shoes are the "best" of all, I run from any dampness when wearing cordovan.
    Why would you wear any dress shoe in the rain?​

4. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Padless shoulders. It is not suitable for all shoulder types.

+1

5. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

Why would you wear any dress shoe in the rain?

Because it is raining, and you can't wear duckboots to an important meeting.

6. R-H

R-H Senior member

We get about 170 days of rain per year. If my Allen Edmonds 2nds get a little wet, oh well.

7. Egdon Heath

Egdon Heath Senior member

We get about 170 days of rain per year. If my Allen Edmonds 2nds get a little wet, oh well.
    So your answer is you don't care. Okay. That's acceptable. But this isn't:​
    Get some imagination going. Ever heard of rubbers? Newer ones, like Totes, will nicely fit in one pocket of your trench coat.​

8. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

Tramezza shoes run narrow

Heard from some that have never tried on a pair[​IMG]

You don't have to be a pimp to think most AEs and many Aldens are boring.

9. Asch

Asch Senior member

"Construction"

10. Rock

Rock Senior member

^+1

"Tastefulness" in general has to be up there. Clothes can be fun too.

11. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

12. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

The dislike for The Sartorialist

13. B1FF

B1FF Senior member

Tramezza shoes run narrow

Heard from some that have never tried on a pair

I am looking at a pair of Nostros as I write this. They are EE and fit tighter than an AE in D. They run narrow.

14. billiebob

billiebob Senior member

I am looking at a pair of Nostros as I write this. They are EE and fit tighter than an AE in D. They run narrow.

Ran narrow for me too.

15. padronlover

padronlover Senior member

aick stitching...who gives a shit? [​IMG]

anna hathaway...of all the fine ass women in the world why hype this casper looking bitch up? [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

E & Lobb shoes, Longine watches (which is Longine by purchased name only) and stuff being handmade.

And I don't think Paul Smith is overrated. Sure there are a lot of diehard PS shoe fans in the SW thread, and their socks in general get good comments, but otherwise discussions about PS has been quite limited compared to other brands talked about here.

17. Southern-Nupe

Southern-Nupe Senior member

AE & Lobb shoes, Longine watches (which is Longine by purchased name only) and stuff being handmade. And I don't think Paul Smith is overrated. Sure there are a lot of diehard PS shoe fans in the SW thread, and their socks in general get good comments, but otherwise discussions about PS has been quite limited compared to other brands talked about here.
    I completely agree with you on Allen Edmonds.

18. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

2 things happening here. Tramezzas running narrow and AE running large all around. i.e. a Tramezza 10D is like a 10C and and AE 10D is like a 10.5D

19. blofeld

blofeld Senior member

Allen Edmonds, for sure. Pure shit if you ask me, may as well wear Cole Haan.

20. whacked

whacked Senior member

Allen Edmonds, for sure. Pure shit if you ask me, may as well wear Cole Haan.

BS. Back when Cole Haan was made by Edward Green, perhaps.

If anything, Allen Edmonds is underrated. Among many here they carry the stigma of being bulbous old men shoes, but Sator's pictorial comparison of them against EG, Vass, and the like a few months ago took care of that. Or so I thought.